“perfect break”

The Imperial Torquay
Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Have just returned from a 2 day break, The staff on arrival were very welcoming and had upgraded us to a wonderful premier room for us and a suite for my daughter, as it was her birthday this was a lovely suprise. The rooms had balconies and glorious sea views, robes and slippers as well as bottled water.
Our break included a 3 course meal, which was of the highest standard and breakfast which was also very good and what we have come to expect from Puma.
The outdoor pool was a very cold, but the indoor pool was like a bath.
This hotel is so interesting and although a little dated is steeped in history and in a great location for the town and walks along the coast.
The only downside is the charge for the car park of £7 a day.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are fantastic, the higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alan D
Gwyn G, Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Alan D

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Velu

Write a ReviewReviews (3,118)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

When we checked in my partner wished to pay for our two night stay in advance. We were told to provide a card for pre-authorization. This was done and immediately the full cost of the hotel PLUS £50 was taken from her account. When we checked out the bill was also deducted from the account on top of the amount already taken. Over £400 went missing for a 2 night stay. 7 days later and she is still trying to get her money back despite assurances from management that it will be sorted. Certainly not the service I would expect. Would not get caught with this in the the future.

• Stayed: May 2014
Gwyn G, Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Arthur Meek

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you experienced a problem when you stayed with us and this was a genuine mistake from our part and I spoke to your partner over the phone and apologised for the same and arranged for a refund.

Unfortunately the preauthorisation process is such we are reliant on the banks and bank holidays play a part in how quick it is processed.

Once again I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Sent 2 e-mails of which I had no response. Nice hotel although decoration very tired looking. Overcharged on exit at hotel had to prove my payment from bank before I got my money back. Overall impression was a little disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Joanna T

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you experienced a problem with your billing and I will send a private message for you please contact me to discuss this further.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The moment we arrived we were made very welcome by the receptionist. All of the staff we encountered were very polite and helpful. The three course dinner that we had on the evening in the restuarant was excellent, along with the fantastic view that went with it, and breakfast the following morning was a real treat too. The weekend stay was combined with a Secret Escapes offer, which overall made it an outstanding value for money weekend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tracey L

Thank you for sharing your fantastic review with the wider travelling community. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

A little dated but overall a nice hotel I would probably not choose to stay here but I would probably also not choose to go to Torquay.

The rooms are a little dated, but on the sea side give great views. The staff were very good and the food provided was really nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank James M

Dear James M

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you found my team very friendly and enjoyed the food.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Although not that attractive from the outside the hotel is lovely inside and has a great atmosphere. I was there for a friend's wedding, the event and the hospitality of the staff could not be falted. The rooms have lovely balconies with sea views and although some of the furnishings are a little tired the rooms are very clean, spacious and well maintained. The food was of a very good quality both for breakfast and dinner.

The spa treatments however were very disappointing and far from the 'deluxe' experience advertised, The therapists were young and seemed inexperienced. The quality of nail treatments and products was poor which was particulalrly disappointing as we were all having treatments to prepare for a wedding at the same venue and felt very let down.

We will definitely return to this hotel but will not be booking any beauty treatments next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Flo W

Dear Flo W

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and let us be part of your friend's wedding day.

My team work hard to provide the best possible care for every guest and your comments will be passed on to them which will be a real incentive for the great service they provide.

I will pass you comments about the spa to my beauty manager to look into and address your concerns.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Agreed an offer to come to this historic hotel for bed, breakfast and evening meal and we were not disappointed. The room was large and comfortable with a balcony and sea view which was fantastic. The bar and lounge were designed like something out of Agatha Christie, which makes sense considering the links to the area. Staff were very good and the food good quality and drinks reasonable priced especially the special offers. There is a small but well equipped gym and spa that we did not use. You have to pay for car parking. The hotel is up a hill about a 10 minute walk from the town.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the sea, great views and sun trap balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Baggie57

Dear Baggie57

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travelling community. I am pleased that you enjoyed the the stay and that you enjoyed the food and my team looked after you well. The hotel features in 3 of Agatha Christie's novels and we are part of Agatha Christie mile.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.