“Poor Service.”

Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Torquay
“Poor Service.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Please ensure you check your card transactions in this hotel, I was charged twice for my room (once when I booked and once when I checked in) Staff refused to refund the cost until I checked out. Secondly I was charged twice for food in the bar. Spa treatments are not up to much, I booked a spa package 'mum to be' where I was meant to have a day of relaxation in a robe in slippers with lunch. None of this was offered and my facial was accompanied by the noise of cleaning staff. Food in the bar was poor - took ages to arrive and when it did the bread was stale. bed was the most uncomforatable Ive slept in, my husband decided he would rather drive home at 1:30am than continue with a restless nights sleep.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank Rachel H
Gwyn G, Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Rachel H

Thank for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and would like to apologise for the issues you faced. I have discussed all the issues raised with my Managers to make sure they do not happen again. As discussed over the phone please accept my sincere apologies.

Velu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I booked a room here via Secret Escapes. NEVER AGAIN !!!!
The hotel is in a lovely location, the foyer looks splendid as does the beautiful ballroom, but once you get into the labyrinth of corridors, it looks very dated and reminiscent of The Shining film...
The first room we were given (premium) has a brilliant sea view of a truly massive pine tree.
No air con in a sweltering room which was uncomfortable to say the least and a balcony that any Tom, Dick or Harry could access simply by walking onto it - no privacy.
we were given a family room after complaining which was much much better - private balcony etc etc

For a (fairly) young couple, this was NOT the hotel for us. nor was it made clear to us on Secret Escapes that this was more of an OAP's hotel than it was for younger people (looking at the indoor pool and the jacuzzi will confirm this and remind you of the film Cocoon.

The hotel staff were nothing but courteous and helpful - let me make that abundantly clear...
The food in the restaurant was absolutely excellent.

This hotel could be an absolute goldmine if Puma Hotels spent more than £4.87 on the decor of the rooms and hallways.

A memorable birthday, Imperial Hotel Torquay, but not for the right reasons I'm afraid...

Room Tip: If they give you a room on the GARDEN level, ask for another one !!!
Gwyn G, Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear jarroddoyle1972

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you found our team very helpful and that you enjoyed our food.

None of our rooms have air conditioning and this is clear on our website.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Where do I start! Well I booked 1night for myself and my husband to celebrate our wedding anniversary, the online pics looked good! We arrived outside the main entrance to a building which looked like a run down old factory! We drove to the top car park where we felt like animals in a cage! It was so tight! We turned up at reception where we were eventually met by one of the staff members who was friendly, checked us in asked what time we wanted to sit down for Dinner(part of the package I paid for). Was asked if we wanted to charge things to our room, ok sounds good! Didn't explain what we had to take with us to charge things to our room As other places I have been just ask for room number and surname. The reception area looked ok clean and tidy, we head to the 1st floor to our room as we got closer to our room the corridor got darker and darker, and the smell of damp and felt cold! The decor is very dated and dark! We enter our room to a horrible smell, a damp, dirty smell. The room was a lovely large size, balcony with chairs over looking the sea, lovely! Shame about the gravelled roof near enough foot level which was attractive! Bathroom looked ok slightly dated but clean, the bedroom carpets well they were covered in stains, the table tried to cover it! What looked like blood on the curtains, very nice! We decided to leave the room head to the pool, it didn't feel welcome and we left the hotel! We return to the hotel for dinner the only slot they had was 20.15 so had to wait till then, to find we weren't even booked in, waiting for someone to show us to our table! When I booked this deal! I wasn't told about 2 menus where you would have to pay a supplement for a better dish! The basic dish wasn't all that, so had to pay! Food was ok though nothing to shout about consider it is a 4* hotel! service couldn't fault the people as they were lovely even arranged to have a jug of pimms which we did have to explain about (other places selling it ) but we paid £18 £8 more that the place down the road! We wanted to put some drinks on our room, was we're asked for the card sleeve which the card came in for confirmation they wouldn't even take our room and name so had to pay for those on card! So what's the difference between wanting some drink and dinner as when we came to leave they came over with the bill and I had to sign it! No asking for the cardboard sleeve! Now to the check out! Consider I booked via the phone and had confirmation of the deal, they put a £40 upgrade charge on the room! For sea view! Really! Didn't even asked for a upgrade, Obversely didn't pay. And left!! Did we enjoy it No! Would I recommend it! No! It's not our cup of tea!

Dear LKC2510

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and I will look into your comments to make amends were required. Imperial is 150yrs old and we still retain the decor in some of our rooms and most of our corridors. With regards to the room charge, the key card holder clearly explains that you need to produce them if you had to room charge and this is clearly explained on check in as well.

We were extremley busy during the time you stayed with us and as you mentioned you had the oppurtunity to book your table when you arrived. Dinner tables are reserved on a first come first serve basis.

Our menus clearly mentions about Table d'hote and a la crate and the options are clearly explained when our guests are sat down, unfortunatley when it comes to food people's choices are wide and varied.

Your upgrade was confirmed to us by Buy a gift. com through which your voucher was purchased.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is not very prepossessing from the outside, but is lovely and opulent inside. The rooms are lovely and the service from the restaurant is great. We went on a dinner, bed and breakfast package which was excellent value. It would have been a bit pricey at full price but there always seem to be offers on which make it a great place to stay for a reasonable price.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Simon A

Thank you for your recent review after yout stay with us at The Imperial.

North Saanich, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Imperial is an old hotel. We knew that on booking (via Puma Hotels' Oxford Inn) that it wouldn't be a Fairmont or Hilton, but expected more value. The room on the 2nd floor looked out onto a flat roof, not a hillside view. While it was May 25 to 27 and a holiday the room must have been the last one available. Plus coming from Canada we experienced "sticker shock" at all the prices of hotel and restaurants. Plus - We were asked if we wanted a newspaper in the morning and answered yes; but no mention of a charge. Many hotels provide newspapers gratis.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CPR-D10g
Dear CPRD10g

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Imperial. I am sorry that some elements of your stay was not up to your expectations and at this laste stage can only apologise for the issues you had.

Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We were supposed to stay Wednesday 28th May until Friday 30th but decided to leave a day early. When we got to the hotel the staff charged £279 to our card although we had already paid in full in advance and refused to refund any money until we checked out even though they admitted the mistake was all there's. They also refused to give the card reader receipt as proof of transaction. My wife had also booked a spa package which is meant to include treatments, lunch, robes and slippers. The spa being more of a pool with a recreation centre feeling offered no such thing, when asked for lunch staff took our order and we were sent to the hotel bar, the bar had no record of our order and then charged for the food. We had to speak to 3 members of staff including management before this was rectified and at no point was an apology given; not the relaxing spa environment you'd expect!

The next day we had a nice time in the town centre enjoying the Living coast aquarium and the big wheel we also had a great meal out at Cotten eye Joe, once back at the hotel we struggled to settle. The bed mattress was very worn with uncomfortable springs. After a couple of hours we couldn't get comfortable enough to get to sleep. It was at that stage we decided to just leave. We checked out just after midnight and got home in the very early hours. We really enjoyed Torquey and would defiantly visit the town again but will NEVER stay at a Puma hotel again.
Poor service, bad management and uncomfortable rooms. We are still waiting for the £279 charged from our account.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tommykite2000
Dear Tommykite2000

I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will send you a personal message so that I can discuss this further.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were offered a 40 % discount with out asking , I should have known better ! we take. 3 /4 mini breaks each year in Devon or Cornwall and generally stay in Brend Hotels however on this occasion we could not book the rooms we needed ( double and a twin interconnecting).
On arrival at the imperial we found that parking in the hotel carpark to be £7 per night which was not mentioned when we booked.
luggage was left standing in the entrance foyer which i eventually retrived myself so that we could unpack and change for dinner. we waited 40 minutes to get adrinks order at the dinner table and over an hour from there to get our main course. we cancelled dinner for the next two nights and went out to local restaurants ( jingles and Amicci both brill)

generally unmotivated staff and no aparent management in evidence.
go out for lunch and dinner
landings have lots of steps after you get out of the lift so lots of bag humping.

Room Tip: sea view room is essential as the views are spectacular
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family