“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Aston, United Kingdom
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here for a few days as I was working in the area. I have to say it suited my needs perfectly. The location is superb, the facilities are just right - parking is plentiful and the hotel has everything you need.
I didn't eat in the evening but breakfast was self service and plenty of it - can't complain!

My only worry was I had a room that had a shared balcony / patio and it was a bit communal and I did have a neighbour walk past my window!

Room Tip: Don't go for the rooms that have a shared patio - it could be a security risk.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
Torquay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

we had a very nice time at the Imperial the staff lovely and helpful you can see it was once a very grand place with beautiful views it does need a bit of a a touch of paint in places and updating but a very relaxing hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

St.Austell
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

On arrival, no-one around to greet us or even say good morning'. bar was closed. Went to reception to ask for menu's to be told, they hadn't got any and that they were in our room, as we hadn't checked in at this point due to our room not available until 1500 (prompt) and the time was only 11.30 I informed them of this and then I was sent away to collect my own menu from the closed bar.. On ordering our lunch, I ordered a glass of water, my partner a beer, to be informed that all draught beer had run out !!!, but bottled beers available.We found a table, waited and eventually lunch arrived, we had a side salad on our plates but were not given cutlery, serviettes or condiments and I had to ask for my water again. We went for a walk around the outside of hotel, views were stunning. After our walk, we sat in bar to relax, but the bar was chaos, food orders were being messed up, people complaining about the length of time they were having to wait, we noticed when food was coming up from kitchen it was being left on the bar un covered for at least 10mins, one customer complained as they had waited a long time and eventually they got there order but the chicken burger had no chicken in. One waiter was calling out to us from a distance away, I couldn't quite understand what he wanted but it was to ask us if we were the spa party, we were not but I felt he could have come over in a professional manner. Eventually we got our room, it was ok. The balcony was an asset, the views were stunning, but the balcony was filthy... Evening meal, well this was a disaster, we was told we had to book a time slot, we booked 1845, was running a little late as it was a rush, got there at 1900, to have to queue, table was ok, offered a glass of water, we ordered our starters, and they turned up, nothing special,we waited for our mains, and waited,our water glasses were empty and we were thirsty, so I went and asked if I could help myself to some water, to be told by a embarrassed waitress, " oh yes we will get it' I replied no I will get it and helped myself to a jug. Main meal still not arrived, 45 minutes later, so we informed them off this, to be told' yes we thought you had been waiting a long time', eventually main arrived, mine looked like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while, I did eat it as I was hungry, ordered dessert, quite simple, lemon tart for one and ice-cream for other but no we were still waitng 20 minutes later, we decided to get up and leave as we had had enough. we complained to Reception. Breakfast, we again were not greeted with a 'good morning' even though we were given eye contact,we were shown to our table, with the waitress talking to us telling where everything was but all we could see was her back and as she had an accent we were finding it difficult to hear, breakfast was ok, but cups and saucers on table with milk but no tea came. We also noticed pepper was on all tables no salt, this was every meal time ? So we feel the whole experience was dreadful and question 4 star rating.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jayneguy
Torquay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely hotel with very efficient staff. We enjoyed the leasure center. Room had semi-sea view. Full view would be better, but we didn't enquire about prices. Only stayed one night. Easy walk to restaurants if you don't want to eat at the hotel's restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed with friends and had a room on the garden floor which was spacious but attention to detail needed. There were weeds growing in the patio area and there were cigarette ends in the drain cover over the drainpipe. The room itself wasn't great but the bedding was clean, although the mattress didn't quite fit the bed, the base was larger than the mattress, and there wasn't a valance sheet to cover this.
We ate dinner at the hotel and the food was very good but the staff weren't very attentive or polite. We had to ask several times for various things like the wine list, water etc. Breakfast was excellent and buffet style with plenty of choice (but no prunes, as my friend observed lol)
The men used the pool and were happy with the facilities.
There is no air conditioning in the rooms and therefore very hot and stuffy. The hotel itself has to rely on fans which aren't really adequate enough.
I visited the hotel years ago and it was very grand but now everything looks very tired and in need of attention, including some of the staff!!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the garden floor if it's summer as you will need to open the patio doors for ai...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a great stay at the hotel. Our room was beautiful. We were given room 420 on the highest floor looking over the sea - thank you! Before dinner we wanted to go to the bar but the red haired barman refused to serve us because we looked young and there was a prom in the hotel so kids were trying to get served (we even had I'd) Dinner was very nice but we had to wait far too long for our drinks and bread. Also the waitress that brought our food out was slightly unprofessional as all she said whilst putting the food down was 'please' but the lamb was beautiful so thank you to the chefs! Big thank you to Denny for being so proffesional and making dinner so much better, he is a fantastic waitor! Breakfast was also very nice.

• Stayed June 2014
Yelverton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for a relaxing getaway and to spend quality time as a couple whilst our young son was being equally pampered by my mother in law at home. I wanted to have a room with a sea view but this was unavailable at time of booking. The standard room was clean and reasonably spacious with plenty of storage space. The décor was not tired but in keeping with the age of the hotel. facilities were first class. Indoor pool and changing areas were well maintained. Drinks and food were reasonably priced. One gripe I would have is the cost of parking - £7 per night or £15 if undercover. There would appear to be a constant wedding party/celebration event most weekends and although we were on the third floor we were woken up by over zealous people shouting. There was no air conditioning in the room or from what I could gather in the whole of the hotel so when the weather gets hot it can get uncomfortable. The views from the outside patios are amazing and when the sun was shining you could almost feel you were on the French Riviera not the English! In conclusion we would we happy to return because we did feel refreshed as a result of staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple