The Imperial Hotel in Torquay, is a “4-star” hotel with standards that vary between 1 and 5-star in my humble opinion !
- The location, probably the best panoramic sea views of Torbay and the coastline !
- Good choice of indoor and outdoor pool facilities.
- Very good breakfast and bar service.
- Many professional, friendly and helpful staff:
* Mrs. Natasha Williams (Reservations Department)
* The breakfast service manageress and team.
* The room cleaning manageress and team.
- The hotel architecture- grand spacious, marble reception rooms etc.
- The room price/size ratio, small twin rooms with balcony and sea views (“Deluxe”)
- The condition of the rooms:
* Damaged double-glazed windows and doors, handles, locks and seals
* Older plumbing- step into bath shower-type, weak water pressure, surging taps.
- The condition of the outer, room doors:
* Loose door-lock strike plates
* The outer door slams ! Some doors have dampers, many don’t.
- The unhelpful, inflexible service of some of the reception staff:
* As directed by Samantha (Duty Manager – Reception)
After explaining my dissatisfaction (above) with one of our two booked rooms, I requested an alternative “Deluxe” room from one of the junior reception staff. Unfortunately, the only other room available was £40 more and that it’s balcony was unusable / in repair ! I asked to speak to the manager (Samantha) who also saw no problems with suggesting an additional charge for an “upgrade” that was clearly not fully usable / in repair.
Samantha was also unwilling to adjust our bill accordingly for the condition of our “Deluxe” / "refurbished" room.
We were left with a ‘take it or leave it’ situation (I had already paid via credit card).
Under the circumstances, I had no other choice but to confirm our acceptance of our reserved rooms to Samantha, but that the Hotel would receive a poor recommendation from me on Trip Adviser – she seemed to be satisfied with this !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Imperial Torquay is a 19th Century four-star hotel in a stunning cliff-top location on the English Riviera. Just a mile from Torquay train station, and 10 minutes walk from the town centre and its famous promenade, this Mediterranean-style hotel is a great base for exploring Devon and North Cornwall. Close by are sandy beaches, the Eden Project and Dartmoor National Park. After a day of exploring relax in the Health & Leisure Club then enjoy delicious food in the award-winning Regatta Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Imperial Torquay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Imperial Hotel Torquay
- Barcelo Torquay
- Imperial Torquay
- Torquay Imperial Hotel
- Hotel Imperial Torquay
- The Imperial Torquay Devon