“Fabulous Sea View Room and Very Convenient for the Railway Station”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Sea View Room and Very Convenient for the Railway Station”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed for 2 nights from Tuesday 13 to Thursday 15 September 2011 in a single sea view room on a bed and breakfast basis. As a single traveller I was looking for a mid price hotel which offered reasonably priced accommodation for solo travellers (I paid £69 per night for B and B). I also ideally wanted a sea view room and I was delighted with The Grand.

The hotel is the large, cream coloured building next to the railway station so it was very convenient as when I got off the train I had to just walk across the car park and was in the hotel within 2 minutes. It’s located on the sea front and it’s a pleasant, flat, easy 10 – 15 minute walk to the harbour and the main restaurant and shopping area. It felt very safe walking back to the hotel in the evening on my own. Please be aware that there are no restaurants or shops immediately by the hotel as it’s adjacent to the station, residential apartments and an attractive park/ gardens.

When I arrived the check in was quick and as my room was already prepared I was able to go straight up. The room was on the fourth floor (top floor) and was accessible by lift or stairs. For a single room I was impressed with its size and layout. It was very clean, tidy and well maintained. There was an entrance hall with trouser press and the bathroom leading off it. The bathroom consisted of a shower over the bath, sink and toilet. There was a constant supply of hot water. The bedroom had a single bed, one bedside table, a wardrobe, chest of draws, dressing table and chair, portable sized television and an easy chair by the window which I loved to sit at and admire the sea views. There was an electronic safe in the room at a cost of £2 per day. There was also a tea tray for making your own hot drinks with biscuits. In the evening there was a turn down service and I would return to find the bedroom light on and a chocolate on my pillow.

Breakfast was included in my room rate and was the only meals I had at the hotel. The waitress brought tea, coffee and toast. The rest of the breakfast was self service. There was an impressive selection of food. There was a choice of cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, selection of different bread and pastries. There was also a good selection of hot food for a full English breakfast and a choice of fruit juices. The buffet was frequently replenished. Breakfast was held in a very elegant room with sea views and was a very pleasant start to the day.

The hotel had other facilities which I did not use so unable to comment on. There was a bar and lounge area, indoor swimming pool (which was closed for maintenance while I was there), gym and an outdoor pool which was frequently in use during my stay.

I always found the reception staff friendly and efficient. When I checked out I was able to leave my case with staff at the hotel and collect it later on the day. Overall as a single traveller I felt extremely well cared for throughout my stay. I would love to return and would be happy to recommend to others.

Room Tip: The seaview rooms have lovely views across the bay to Princess Pier and Torquay Harbour.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank lovetotravel1704
Peter W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I visited in August with my family and chose the hotel for the great location it has. It was a nice hotel - though definately needs updating!!

good customer service and nice ameneties. Big problem with parking - even with the extra available at the train station opposite.

we had a family room and we were happy with the room itself and the views. room was spacious also.

overall - needs some new deco and it would be great!!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Went with a group of 16 friends for an annual reunion. We were pleased with the price and the breakfast was good. However, they get their money back by charging excessively for their food and drinks. The tv in the room was very old and the remote didn't work and I found excrement on one of the bath towels! Parking was not easy and at a premium

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cats1946
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We only were on B&B fare and a group of us have stayed there every July for 8 years, but this year the breakfast was worse than normal, with fewer staff and this year no tonato juice on offer, which I personally prefer to orange juice for breakfast.
Secure parking was full most nights before we returned back to the hotel and designated resident car parking spots were not plentiful enough.

Room Tip: As usual, the bedrooms were ok, but many bathrooms are now aged and delapidated in various respects.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here for a family celebration. All the rooms were tastefully decorated but you could see scope for modernisation.
The entrance and reception is very "grand" as is the bar and patio area which overlooks the heated outdoor pool,
We had our evening meal here which was fine. The menu was designed to compete with an expensive restaurant but lacked a little in quality and some of the flavour combinations were a little eccentric! Breakfast was self served and very tasty with lots of options.
Overall the location is lovely, beautiful view across the sea to the harbour. Around a 10min stroll to the town centre which is very manageable. Wish we were able to stay and explore longer! We would return for the right price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaview
Devon
Reviewed 11 September 2011

With family friends staying at the Hotel for a few nights it seemed a good idea to dine here as a celebratory dinner for one graduating from college, to move on to university. Our table initially 10 - rising to 11 with the addition of myself. There was a limited dress code (no trainers - Smart Casual only) and none particularily in the lobby / bar area.

The Menu was extensive, with a range of fish, meat and vegetarian dishes to suit all, all served very "gourmet" style, well dressed on the plate with garnish etc.

A few of the mixtures of flavours were questionable but Chef is only showing his creative flair. The dining experience was actually very relaxed, not overly formal and we were given our own space and time, the staff aware of when guests are ready to move to next course etc.

at £29.99 for a full 3 courses plus Coffee it seems as though for what you get, this was very reasonable. I certainly wouldnt hesitate to book a table again myself.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The grand is our favourite hotel as a family, we have always received the most wonderful welcome and the service is always first class, our recent visit was purely for relaxing and we didnt move from the hotel for two days! the food and service in both the bar and restaurant are good quality and of a very high standard. The view from the lounge is wonderful and we never tire of it. I can certainly recommend this hotel and do so often. We are already planning a trip in December when there will be ten of us again ages ranging from 22-77years. We may even squeeze a weekend in before that.

Room Tip: pay a bit extra and have a sea view and look for dinner bed and breakfast offers.
3 Thank EPreece
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2016