“A 3 day break”

Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A 3 day break”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Having never been to Torquay in my life, we wanted to stay somewhere that was close to amenities but I wanted to be able to see the sea from the hotel. Unfortunately, I was not able to afford a sea view room, because I am on a budget but even so, our room was small but just right. The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. It was was in walking distance for all amenities and having fantastic weather really made our stay great. I would highly recommend this hotel, although the only down side was the indoor pool was closed for refurbishment when we went so we were quite disappointed about that. The outdoor pool was still open but we didn't get a chance to use it, maybe next time if we stay a bit longer.

Peter W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. When we checked in we were overcharged £100 from our initial booking and pre paid deposit, even although we had the written booking confirmation with us. When we explained to reception after they had charged our card I had a lengthy conversation with them that 2 nights at £150 a night was a total of £300 and not the £400 we were charged. Finally after two attempts and an hour or so later it was sorted but this is such a basic requirement it let the hotel down. The main areas of the ground floor were lovely and had fantastic views of the sea. The food was also fantastic and we can highly recommend it. The room we had was huge but very dated and the people in the room above us kept us awake all night! At one point we literally got startled and suddenly woke to a huge bang in the middle of the night which sounded like someone had dropped something heavy on the floor above! also there was a wedding on the Saturday and it was incredibly busy and was difficult to get served at the lounge bar. The guests were very inconsiderate and at one point were running back and fore the landings drunk and shouting at each other at 12-1am in the morning and nothing was done about it. The food and views were lovely but everything else very disappointing and we won't be staying again.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Andrewandbecky

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed again this summer and very little has changed since our last visit...here is the recap...

My husband, daughter and I stayed at this hotel over the holiday week end. Upon arrival, the lobby and general area appeared in good condition. However, it quickly went downhill after being shown to our "sea view" room from which you could barely see the sea! Our room was faded and in need of a good cleaning...the carpets looked as if they had not been vacuumed for weeks! After our first night in an impossibly uncomfortable bed on which you could feel and hear the springs...I discovered that I had a horrible case of bug-bites all over my legs! I was absolutely appalled!! However, while very nice, the manager on duty did not seem at all surprised...obviously this is not an uncommon occurence. Since we had taken the train all the way out to Torquay, we decided to give them an opportunity to fix the problem. All the hotels in area were full due to Bank Holiday or we would have switched! We alerted the staff at 8:30 am....I would think that they would have been mortified and immediately fixed the problem...however, at 2pm the bed had been remade (same sheets) and no vacuuming of the floor. I lit a fire under the hotel staff as our daughter needed to go down for a nap and in 20 minutes they had changed the sheets, FINALLY. Never vacuumed. Outdoor areas are rundown and badly in need of renovation. Staff is friendly, but continually forgetful (drinks, food orders, etc.) The best part of the whole weekend was to be the traditional Devon Cream tea...which we were told had "run out" by 4pm on the day of our request. Poor preparation, perhaps? We are normally laid back, but one thing after another led to a horrible weekend. Would definitely NOT recommend.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank traveler2307
Surrey
Reviewed 28 September 2011

My husband and i are pensioners with walking difficulties.
We stayed for one night only on September 2nd 2011
We had the most beautiful room which was huge with a lovely sea view
we could not fault the cleanliness.at all....the staff were all very helpful
and extremely kind and considerate and nothing was too much trouble
we had an evening meal in the bar which was served with grace and charm
and we chose to have breakfast in our room which was served on time and
hot
We would definitely go to this hotel again if we are in Torquay and would
recommend it to our friends
We thought it was fantastic.

4 Thank puttynose
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed for 4 nights from Thursday 15th September to Monday 19th Sptember 2011 in a double (no sea view) on Bed, Breakfast and Evening Meal deal. Loved it, Room Great, Food Great and staff all extremely helpful and friendly. Would definately return.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed for 2 nights from Tuesday 13 to Thursday 15 September 2011 in a single sea view room on a bed and breakfast basis. As a single traveller I was looking for a mid price hotel which offered reasonably priced accommodation for solo travellers (I paid £69 per night for B and B). I also ideally wanted a sea view room and I was delighted with The Grand.

The hotel is the large, cream coloured building next to the railway station so it was very convenient as when I got off the train I had to just walk across the car park and was in the hotel within 2 minutes. It’s located on the sea front and it’s a pleasant, flat, easy 10 – 15 minute walk to the harbour and the main restaurant and shopping area. It felt very safe walking back to the hotel in the evening on my own. Please be aware that there are no restaurants or shops immediately by the hotel as it’s adjacent to the station, residential apartments and an attractive park/ gardens.

When I arrived the check in was quick and as my room was already prepared I was able to go straight up. The room was on the fourth floor (top floor) and was accessible by lift or stairs. For a single room I was impressed with its size and layout. It was very clean, tidy and well maintained. There was an entrance hall with trouser press and the bathroom leading off it. The bathroom consisted of a shower over the bath, sink and toilet. There was a constant supply of hot water. The bedroom had a single bed, one bedside table, a wardrobe, chest of draws, dressing table and chair, portable sized television and an easy chair by the window which I loved to sit at and admire the sea views. There was an electronic safe in the room at a cost of £2 per day. There was also a tea tray for making your own hot drinks with biscuits. In the evening there was a turn down service and I would return to find the bedroom light on and a chocolate on my pillow.

Breakfast was included in my room rate and was the only meals I had at the hotel. The waitress brought tea, coffee and toast. The rest of the breakfast was self service. There was an impressive selection of food. There was a choice of cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, selection of different bread and pastries. There was also a good selection of hot food for a full English breakfast and a choice of fruit juices. The buffet was frequently replenished. Breakfast was held in a very elegant room with sea views and was a very pleasant start to the day.

The hotel had other facilities which I did not use so unable to comment on. There was a bar and lounge area, indoor swimming pool (which was closed for maintenance while I was there), gym and an outdoor pool which was frequently in use during my stay.

I always found the reception staff friendly and efficient. When I checked out I was able to leave my case with staff at the hotel and collect it later on the day. Overall as a single traveller I felt extremely well cared for throughout my stay. I would love to return and would be happy to recommend to others.

Room Tip: The seaview rooms have lovely views across the bay to Princess Pier and Torquay Harbour.