The Grand Hotel
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
2,627 results
All reviewscompass barhotel garagesea viewstation car parkagatha christiecream teaindoor poolpublic areaslounge barsea frontsunday lunchleisure facilitiesa bit tiredsome tlcwaiting staffbiscuitsshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2011

As an ex-Torquinian it was lovely to visit the town and the relaxing experience of the Grand Hotel.As expected from its historic 'grandeur' a most pleasant weekend to be enjoyed and at a price within the normal budget paid at the multiple lodges freely available!

Room Tip: Sea-views,additional cost,but all rooms have good open views
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Peter W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2016

Reviewed 24 October 2011

My husband and I booked a two night stay for b&b. When we arrived and checked into our room, we were a little disappointed as it was quite small. a little shabby and overlooked the fire escape. Whilst my husband went to park the car, I asked at reception and was given a complementary upgrade and oh, what a difference this made to our stay. A lovely room, plenty of space, bright, clean and with a fabulous view of the sea.

Breakfast was great with lots of choice. The food was delicious and very hot. Served buffet style so you can help yourself.

All the staff we met throughout our stay were friendly and helpful.

The location is a little out of the town centre but it is not too far to walk which is what we did, several times.

I would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We have just returned from a weekend break at The Grand & I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone. The staff could not have been more friendly & helpful & the hotel is most comfortable, The indoor pool area was delightful, not a massive Gym it's true, but we didn't need that, but as everywhere else in the hotel everything was very clean. If you want modern style then this is not it, it is an older hotel but none the less comfortable for that. My enduring reminder is how nice all the staff were & if all the Richerdson hotels are like this I would not hesitate to visit the others.
I would suggest that Christmas spent in the Grand would most probably be a real treat.
If I return I would book a sea facing room, as the windows on our inland facing room actually looked onto nothing but wall, it did make for a very quiet stay however.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

We were not aware when booking of the special delights available at the Grand, courtesy of the management's choice to accommodate a couple with a dog in the adjacent room, and compounded by the owners leaving the animal alone all evening, causing it (and as a consequence, us) to become quite distressed.
The management attitude was that this is normal in the south-west - all they offered was to ask the owners to return.
We live in Cornwall, have stayed in similar quality hotels throughout the south-west and this is certainly not a normal experience.
No change of room or compensation of any kind was offered.

Room Tip: Ask about dogs in adjacent rooms.
2  Thank Tulipbicycle
Reviewed 23 October 2011

let me start by saying that I booked the hotel for 3 people for 2 nights (2 rooms in total) including dinner, bed and breakfast for a total of £418 which I think is a very good price for a 4 star hotel.
we had rooms 116 and 117, 116 was quite small but the standard of the room was fine and in line with other hotels of this rating, my mom was in 117 which was huge as it was a family room and had 2 bunk beds in the corner.

The communal areas of the hotel are lovely, especially the lounge area with great views of the sea and the Torquay area, the snacks were also good that we had whilst there.

I was not too impressed with the indoor pool area and gym, both were really dated and in need of a refit, in a four star hotel I would expect a really modern pool area possibly with a spar and a decent gym. I cant comment on the outdoor pool due to the time of year.

In terms of the bar area there is room for improvement, on our last night i ordered a long island ice tea and when it arrived (after 20 minutes) it was a strawberry long island ice tea that didn't resemble the real thing at all, I complained and the barman made me another one
when it arrived it again had strawberry's in it! I didnt have the heart or patience to complain again but for £7.50 it would have been nice to have what i asked for.

Now onto the restaurant, the menu talks a very good game, with lots of very "wordy' descriptions, I was expecting some serious taste sensations, however it was all very average, my mom had a pork dish and the pork was really tough, in fairness she did not complain as that isn't her thing so the staff had no opportunity to rectify it, but I am amazed that a hotel restaurant with an 'executive chef' would turn out food like this!.
the soups that we had were very tasty and i thought the desserts were good.
service was good and the staff seemed eager to please.

Breakfast in the hotel was excellent, it was a buffet service but very tasty well cooked food and it was all kept well stocked, could not fault the breakfast at all.

Please check your bill before paying as ours had a couple of mistakes on to the tune of £75.

in conclusion for the price of the stay I would go back again but there are far better 4 star hotels out there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family