“Relaxing break with lovely food.”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #32 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I booked a two night break for me and my husband at a promotional rate of £218 for a two night stay including breakfast and dinner. We were very much looking forward to our stay and eating at the hotel but were very concerned to learn that the most recent food hygine inspection had highlighted major concerns and that the hotel had scored zero out of five. I contacted the hotel manager who assured me the kitchens were now up to standard and invited me to visit the kitchen during our stay.
We arrived at the hotel, parked in the garage and check in was quick and eficient and we had been upgraded to a lovely large sea view room with a balcony (301). The free wifi worked well and our room had a small fridge and the TV played DVDs which are available from reception. I met with the manager and he took me on a tour of the kitchen, which was very interesting, everything was spotless and I was shown some new equipment that had been installed since the inspection.
We had very nice meals on both nights, the food was of a very good standard. Breakfast is buffet style with some items such as poached eggs, fried bread cooked to order, toast and tea / coffee are served at your table. All the bread and pastries are made in the hotel and were a lovely.
The staff were all very helpful and we received good service. The public areas such as the lounge and reception were very comfortable but there are some parts of the hotel that are not so grand. The lifts could do with some TLC as they were a bit shabby, the pool changing rooms were disappointing - shabby, tiles coming off. Some refurbishment has been done but there is a lot more work needed to bring it up to standard.
The hotel is very old and this shows - creaky floorboards, sloping floors, sticking windows and the exterior is in need of updating as the paintwork is peeling badly .
It may not be as grand as it once was but we had a lovely time and are already planning to go back.

2  Thank cwtch4967
Peter W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2016

Reviewed 13 November 2012

We recently stayed overnight at the Grand for a romantic break. On booking the hotel I had asked for a sea view. On arrival I was very impressed with the foyer and the staff. On arriving a wedding party was taking place and the whole place was buzzing and I felt I had made a good choice for my husband and I break. We were given our keys for our room on the 4th floor. On entering the room the first thing that hit us was the damp smell and we opened a window to be hit but not a sea view but a view of the train station and the sound of the local rugby club playing a home game. The whole room seemed to be on a slant and no plush duvet, no an old fashion grey blanket, sheet and thin throw which made the night a very cold one. The whole experience was made better by the good breakfast, friendly staff and good weather.
Would I go again!! No.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed overnight at The Grand Hotel which has an excellent position by the sea front in Torquay. Our group had three ‘compact double’ rooms at £69 per room bed and breakfast weekend rate. We managed to find free roadside parking without any problem else there is a train car park pay and display adjacent.

Generally the foyer and bar area are very pleasant with views out to sea and to the marina. The staff were all very friendly and drinks were all served to the sofas. We ate out but the food did look and smell very good!. Breakfast was cooked english buffet style but poached eggs were no problem.

The rooms were not very large but were adequate with double beds, wall mounted lcd tv’s and tea coffee making facilities. They were clean with functional bathrooms and nice linen / curtains. Certainly not the most plush or ‘grand’ rooms I’ve stayed in but we did select the cheapest rooms available!

The fitness centre is in the basement with a relatively small suite of exercise machines. The pool and Jacuzzi were clean with a warm as was the sauna. The changing rooms were cramped and dated with toilet facilities in the middle and could have been cleaner.

All in all we had a lovely stay in a great location. This is a big hotel where you can see money has been spent I some areas but in truth needs a lot more spending to bring it up to potential. Some areas have cheap fire doors and patched up fittings for example. We had a good stay for the price but would have been disappointed if I had spent much more.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I stayed at The Grand Hotel last week as an overnight between business appointments. Similar to other reviews, I found the public areas fine and the staff helpful and friendly. The food was fine although the service wasn't particularly slick in the Compass Bar.

The room was a decent size and but whilst I'm a big fan of different sized rooms the layout wasn't so convenient. The shelf in the bathroom was so narrow I put my toilet bag on top of the toilet. The mastic around the bath had some black mould and really wasn't a good advert for what was billed as a Four Star hotel. The parking was also very limited.

For visitors that want to spend leisure time in Torquay, a stay at the Grand might fit the bill but for a decent stay on business, it might be worth considering a mid range hotel or a decent budget one with plenty of parking and well laid out rooms.

I'd be happy to trade down to a Three Star hotel for a bit of predictable convenience between business meetings when I visit Torquay again.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Arrived at hotel next to no parking in Hotel, parking in station car park and 100 parking spaces in Rugby club bottom of hill, not good when you are disabled, reception did not tell us indoor pool and spar closed for refurbishment. also not told when booking.
Bar area had to wait to be served noticed Bar manager was telling them to go and serve you,
the restaurant was the same weighted some time to be served and had to speak to manager as the staff had no special awareness, Room was OK , sent my comments by e-mail to head office via website but did not get a reply.

Room Tip: Side or back of hotel good for price, no noise from train station
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The Grand offers splendid views of Torbay, comfortable bedrooms, an excellent restaurant and bar/lounge. My room was facing the sea, extremely clean, offered tea & coffee making facilities and a heavenly bed for a sound nights sleep. Breakfast was an enormous buffet and dinner a fine dining occasion, served by attentive staff. After dinner enjoy coffee in the lounge listening to the piano or small group/singer.
For good value, comfort, wonderful staff 'The GrandHotel' is hard to beat.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 November 2012

The decor of the rooms is pretty poor. If you like a snappy service don't go to the bar because you will have a bit of a wait. The hotel staff try hard but come up short in terms of the service provided. I much preferred the Imperial hotel when I stayed there.