“best afternoon tea.”

Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“best afternoon tea.”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This iconic hotel is not the grand lady she used to be, the lounge furniture is shabby, the lobby though is still old style glory.
BUT, the afternoon tea is wonderful, and the BEST scones ever,the hotel might need refurbishment but the service is still old style courtesy.
I have not stayed there, I have seen the bedrooms, nothing special, the staff are delightful, BUT the afternoon tea, SUPERB and best of all not expensive, £20 for Two, now thats a real deal.
Try to get a table in the conservatory part of the lounge and enjoy

Jean A Lewis

Room Tip: Cannot help on this one
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeanalewis
Peter W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed just 1 night but you become totally relaxed, we had a lovely sea view room on the 3rd floor which gave excellant view across the bay. There was a fire display on Saturday night in the harbour which we watched from the comfort of our room. We eat informally in the Bar on Saturday night, enjoying a lovely bottle of wine and excellent food make from local produce. The Bar staff are very etentive and happy to assist as with all the staff in the hotel.

Room Tip: The higher floored room give better views
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

My wife and I stayed from 13 to 17 November. The cost at the special rate £480 dinner, b&b for the 4 nights was exceptional value. I have read previous reviews about the decor and while I would agree that there are some parts of the hotel that need re-decorating, we didn't feel this was important as the main areas such as reception, the entrance hall, bar, reading room and restaurant were clean and nicely decorated. The reception staff were extremely pleasant and welcoming as were the restaurant staff. We always travel at this time of the year being our wedding anniversary and as the evenings draw in we find the extra cost of a sea view room is not worth it. We like to use the hotels as a base to do a lot of walking or if the weather is inclement do some sight seeing and consequently we return when the light has faded, so that you can't see much of the sea anyway. We always take pot luck with the rooms and we were given room 325 which overlooked the station car park .Although it was small it was very clean and we had no trouble in getting a good nights sleep. The maid service was first class as the room was left in a clean and tidy way, with fresh towels provided daily. The only complaint is that the room was very hot and I have noticed that previous reviewers have mentioned this as well; we didn't get a chance to find out why.

The evening meal was excellent and having booked a table each night for 8.00pm on arrival at the restaurant we were immediately ushered to a table. We were served without a wait and the whole evening experience was a delight. The breakfast was fine with all the usual fare served for a full English breakfast.

Parking is limited and it is on a first come first served basis with 26 free hotel dedicated spaces in the station car park, plus about 16 spaces in the hotel car park in addition to about 12 spaces in the street adjacent to the hotel. We had no trouble in parking, but I suppose it was because the hotel was not full.

I notice that one reviewer complained about being asked to provide a credit card on arrival. I don't have a problem with that as most hotels adopt this practice and one can see why as unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people who think nothing of slinking off without paying.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing stay in Torquay.

1 Thank jeffb7
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

What a first impression! Lovely entrance and reception and a fabulously comfortable lounge bar. Service was excellent and very considerate.
All of that good work let down by the poor bedroom. Straight out of the 80's with peeling wall paper and a TV that belonged in a museum; i really couldnt believe it. Walls very thin and could hear every word of my neighbours phone call to her husband!
A colleague told me he knows which rooms to ask for as he has stayed many times, but for anyone else its just a lottery. I understand there is refurbishment underway and hopefully this will make this the hotel it deserves to be.
My advice: try it but make sure you ask for a decent room.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank WainwrightBagger
nr Bristol
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I booked a last minute, two night break for me and my husband, we stayed at The Grand on a sunday & monday night. When we arrived and throughout our stay, we found all the staff to be helpful, friendly & welcoming......and accommodating, as it was my husband's birthday and the rest of the family were joining us for dinner as a surprise.....along with balloons and cake!
The food for dinner and breakfast was wonderful, we certainly couldn't fault it, the service in the restaurant and bar was quick and efficient. Our room was clean and warm and although the bathroom needed a bit of tlc there was plenty of hot water and the towels were lovely!
We would definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly be returning!!
I must say that although I might agree with some comments about the hotel being a bit "tired" and needing updating, hard with the economic climate the way it is at the moment, I also have to say that it is clean and warm (apart from a few grubby chairs in the bar) and the one outstanding thing we found was the atmosphere in the hotel and the staff being so helpful and friendly!! We have stayed in "posher" hotels where the staff have been appalling so, Well Done to The Grand, whatever you're doing, keep it up!!

2 Thank amethystcat
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I booked a two night break for me and my husband at a promotional rate of £218 for a two night stay including breakfast and dinner. We were very much looking forward to our stay and eating at the hotel but were very concerned to learn that the most recent food hygine inspection had highlighted major concerns and that the hotel had scored zero out of five. I contacted the hotel manager who assured me the kitchens were now up to standard and invited me to visit the kitchen during our stay.
We arrived at the hotel, parked in the garage and check in was quick and eficient and we had been upgraded to a lovely large sea view room with a balcony (301). The free wifi worked well and our room had a small fridge and the TV played DVDs which are available from reception. I met with the manager and he took me on a tour of the kitchen, which was very interesting, everything was spotless and I was shown some new equipment that had been installed since the inspection.
We had very nice meals on both nights, the food was of a very good standard. Breakfast is buffet style with some items such as poached eggs, fried bread cooked to order, toast and tea / coffee are served at your table. All the bread and pastries are made in the hotel and were a lovely.
The staff were all very helpful and we received good service. The public areas such as the lounge and reception were very comfortable but there are some parts of the hotel that are not so grand. The lifts could do with some TLC as they were a bit shabby, the pool changing rooms were disappointing - shabby, tiles coming off. Some refurbishment has been done but there is a lot more work needed to bring it up to standard.
The hotel is very old and this shows - creaky floorboards, sloping floors, sticking windows and the exterior is in need of updating as the paintwork is peeling badly .
It may not be as grand as it once was but we had a lovely time and are already planning to go back.

2 Thank cwtch4967
Devon
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We recently stayed overnight at the Grand for a romantic break. On booking the hotel I had asked for a sea view. On arrival I was very impressed with the foyer and the staff. On arriving a wedding party was taking place and the whole place was buzzing and I felt I had made a good choice for my husband and I break. We were given our keys for our room on the 4th floor. On entering the room the first thing that hit us was the damp smell and we opened a window to be hit but not a sea view but a view of the train station and the sound of the local rugby club playing a home game. The whole room seemed to be on a slant and no plush duvet, no an old fashion grey blanket, sheet and thin throw which made the night a very cold one. The whole experience was made better by the good breakfast, friendly staff and good weather.
Would I go again!! No.