“Excellent staff,fab bar, shame about the room”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #33 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at the Grand hotel as a last minute break.I must say that when we pulled up I was a little concerned but once we walked through the door I was pleasantly surprised.
We were checked in by a gentleman called Anthony who was brillant.Very professional & had a really nice way about him.
The bar is fab, so cosy & had a lovely buzz to it.All the staff who served us in the bar were very attentive & always checking if we needed anything.
The spa/fitness centre was lovely too, actually all the main areas were done to a very high standard which is why I can't understand the rooms. I realise it is a very old hotel & to completely refurb all the rooms would be very expensive & take alot of time but it really was like stepping back into the 80's.Saying that though the bed was comfortable if a little too small (I found the fact you had blankets & sheets rather than a duvet really odd) The shower was nice & hot & the towels lovely & fluffy so all in all I can't grumble too much but I would have given this a 5/5 if it wasn't for the rooms.
Would I come back again?.......yes definately!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank becs26
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Have stayed here many times in the past and nothing changes. Had a large room with sea view. Bathroom had been updated and was good but room had not. Still using blankets and sheets!! How outdated.
Staff pleasant and cooked breakfast OK. Pleased they did not have the breakfast buffet on as I see from reviews it is not too good. Reason we go to Torquay is for dinner at Bistro 7 which is excellent.
Being in the service industry I cannot understand why they make a charge for using a credit card, I expect that from RyanAir, etc but not from a four star hotel.
It is part of the Richardson Hotels and understand Mr Richardson has recently purchased another hotel in Torquay. Would be better to update The Grand Hotel and then maybe more people would return to it.

Room Tip: Request an updated sea view room. At least you will get a modern bathroom.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MiniMx
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I needed a business stop-over and stay in Torquay , in the January winter snow . A sea-facing room ( very nice comfortable - but bed a bit soft for my liking ) everything very clear throughout the hotel . Great lounge bar area with coffee shop and very knowledgeable staff and the best food I've had for ages on the set 3 course dinner .
Breakfast a real cheer up with welcoming staff and a buffet spead of everything you might want
Good value , easy parking , free Wi-Fi and a venue with comfort and a bit of 4 star style

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger doubles with a sea view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We called in at the Grand 2 weeks ago after being recommended by a friend, we didn't stay overnight so I cannot comment on the accomodation, we had high tea which was excellent, 4 choices of sandwichess which were freshly made, cake , and scones which were as good as you can get, clotted cream and jam, also a large pot of tea and boiling water. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a window table with excellent views. Definately recommendable .

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken P
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

We spent the weekend of Jan18-19 th . We have been several times and always love it. We take our teenage kids ,book one of their deals and live it up. Staff fantastic , whoever is responsible for their training should be proud (not detracting from the niceness and professionalism of the people themselves). The food was lovely. Our room was clean and pleasant. Only two problems. If you book the dinner b&b you are obliged to eat your meal in the main restaurant, may seem petty but we've sometimes fancied eating in the luxurious chilled out bar area. Which brings me to second point. On the Friday night there was a wedding reception,this meant that when our meal was over we couldn't get into the bar area.It was heaving and it was disappointing just ending up retiring early to our room and listening to drunk revelers looking for their rooms. This happened once before and we e-mailed the hotel who accepted that it would be an idea to let people know if they were hosting a large party when booking. I suppose I can understand why this hasn't become policy. So in future we will ask every time we book. Not a huge complaint "hotel hosts party" . I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Oldmanstein
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This was the second time my wife and I have stayed at the Grand. Took advantage of the £99 DB&B offer which really is, on the face of it a bargain for the money. Unfortunately, all that glitters is not gold. The accommodation was good the service excellent and the hotel is spotless clean. The restaurant food is another matter. The breakfast was good the evening meal less so. The £99 offer reduces the menu by 50% offering 3 starters, three mains and three desserts. If you wished to avail yourself of the remaining choices on the menu additional charges applied. This gave the air of inferiority which proved to be the case given the available choice flowered up by giving it a fancy name. This was further compounded by the fact that the dishes were not seasoned at all, I can only imagine that the chef was suffering with sinusitis and had lost all sense of taste. I would definitely recommend The Grand but take advantage of the B&B rate and forget the DB&B offer, eat out unless of course your doctor has put you on a salt free diet!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 326 perfectly adequate if a little noisy due to proximity to busy road
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank richardhollywood
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This was our second visit to the Grand and we had such a good time there the first time we visited I was hoping that we would not be disappointed second time round. All I can say is we weren't. The Grand should be complimented on their staff who are excellent (other hotels please take note - the staff here are properly trained to look after guests!) The Grand has a really nice 'vibe' to it and we just love sitting in the bar area just watching the world go by. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple