“Great Weekend”

Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great Weekend”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My Boyfriend and I stayed here for his sisters wedding which was also held at the hotel. The hotel communal areas are fantastic, a great little spa, beautiful bar and entrance lobby. All the staff were very friendly and really could not do enough for you, and the very quickly remembered we were part of the wedding party, making extra fuss to make sure we were ok. Before talking about the wedding one more comment on the actual hotel, and this is the only reason I have not given it the 5 stars, as the rooms are quite tired, and all the hall ways, they are kept very clean, but still look a bit old, worn and tired. Our room was very nice, but even though it was very clean still needed a bit of a refresh.

Before the wedding the bride and Groom were given the Prince William Suite which is a fantastic room with great views. While the bride was getting ready she was send a tray of afternoon tea goodies by the hotel for her and her guests getting ready with her. This was a lovely treat, appreciated by all.

The wedding was amazing, the staff did everything we could want for us and it was all set out so will and so quickly, the ceremony was beautiful with staff there if we needed them, but not intruding on the special day. The dinner was great, some of the nicest food I have had in a long time all made specially for the party. The staff timed it all perfectly so there was enough of a break between every thing, but not so long you were kept waiting. And they were always there to make sure you had enough drink, but again not so they were intruding. The room was then cleared for the party after which again was don very quickly and left looking beautiful afterwards.

The backdrop of this beautiful old Victorian hotel was great for the photos and everyone had a great time.

We were all greeted at breakfast the next morning, again making sure we had everything we could want, and all being told how beautiful the wedding was, and that they thought the wedding was the best they had ever done, which I am sure they say to all the wedding parties, but is a nice touch.

I would like to thank everyone who made the day so special, it was a great weekend for all of us, and we will all look back with fond memories.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Jason W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Katherine,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on you recent stay with and your sisters wedding.

I was so pleased to read your comments about the service you received from the team during the event as attention to detail is very important to us here at The Grand.

In addition I am pleased to announce also that we are currently in the process of refurbishing all of our rooms and corridors, however thank you for noting how clean you thought these areas were.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Jason Winter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
shropshire
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed last weekend 14/06/13 for the weekend, for a friends 40th, this hotel is far from Grand and I'm not sure quite how.... unless it was granted in the 80's where the 4* comes from?? the rooms are very tired although clean at £135 per night for a double room (inc 3 course meal on 1st night) we thought it was expensive with no mod cons, very dated furniture, a nice 1970's cream hair dryer (photo's attached) stag style fittings huge tv ....... bathrooms errr towel rail on 24/7 so hot it would scold you surely the hotel could halve its heating bill if they just turned the heating down a few degrees?? it was like gods waiting room in there!! so hot and the higher you got in the hotel the hotter it got!! It's about time for a refurb, staff mostly miserable, except Mark in the dining room who was friendly and had a laugh, the whole experience was like being in an old folks home, age group and temperature! the only thing the hotel has going for it was the food it was exceptional and we all enjoyed our meals and the breakfast was pretty good too with lots of variety.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Jason W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Bumblebeetree2tree,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the hotel.

I was most upset to read that the rooms and ambiance within the hotel did not reach your expectations, and for this I can only apologise. We are currently in the process of refurbishing all our bedrooms and corridors,however given the size of the property this does take time. I am pleased to announce that new flat screen TV's are being delivered to the hotel over the coming weeks and will be installed into all rooms. I have spoken with our Housekeeper with reference to the towel rail and she is looking into this along with our Maintenance team.

On a plus note I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the food at the hotel and especially the variety at breakfast.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and if you wish to discuss the points raised further please do not hesitate to contact me personally, my email address is Jason.winter@richardsonhotels.co.uk .

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Booked into this hotel for Fathers Day Weekend with myself, my son and my granddaughter after a disastrous experience at the nearby Cavendish Hotel. Staff across the entire hotel excellent, room excellent, facilities excellent (although could do with a children's play area) and Restaurant excellent. Overall a very pleasurable experience cannot fault it in anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Not first time we have stayed and what a beautiful and "grand" hotel it is with stunning views over the ocean towards Brixham and looking over at Torquay town.
The staff are excellent - friendly, professional and nothing is too much trouble for them.
The chef is to be complimented - the menu is good , food excellent and well presented.....could haved stayed in the Restaurant all night!!
The pools are wonderful and very clean.
Such a shame though that some of the rooms are still in need of some tlc.
With definite decorating/upgrading needed in some of the rooms and bathrooms. Needs flat screen TVs installed - been a long time since I have stayed in a hotel room with such old TVs!!
Even with the constructive criticism it won't stop us going back and hopefully the refurb will be in place for our next visit!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Jason W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Olive,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us here at the hotel.

I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and particularly your experience in our restaurant.

I am also happy to report that we will be taking delivery of new flat screen TV's over the coming weeks and hope to have them installed in all rooms in the very near future. In addition we have a rolling refurbishment of all rooms and corridors currently taking place in order to bring all rooms to the same high standard expected.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Witney
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We have returned once again from the Grand Hotel. Firstly I stayed with my family for four nights, all sea facing rooms, clean and serviced well. Made to feel welcome by all the staff and also my dog which is great he can stay with me they gave me a small mat to put his bowl on and a small fleeece.. wonderful piece of grass to walk him across the road and the bus stop right outside and also the train station on the doorstep. I returned again a week later for a long weekend, when we arrived they had upgraded us to the Elgar Suite, which comprised of a bathroom, including shower, sink and toilet and another which was just toilet and sink, two bedrooms, one twin and one double and a large living room with settee, table and chairs, this being a sea view room. Nothing was too much for the staff, I asked to stay on till 12 and there was an option to stay later for a small charge. I will go again as could not fault this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms with 400 in the number, easy to access as good lift and nice straight corridor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
west mids
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Just had the experience of a 5 day return visit to this hotel and overall it was a very pleasant stay, as it was 3 years since our last visit I was eager to see how things are now and gladly can report standards are still, fairly high , rooms are good, food in 1881 restaurant is excellent pool area is very clean and well kept also it is in a very good area for getting out and about.
One or two observations of this hotel are the bedrooms and landings are getting a little tired and I think could do with a little spruce up , also this hotel hosted a wedding during our visit and it was noticeable how the service slowed to the staying guests which I thought was a little unfair .
Overall really enjoyed visit and hopefully will return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chickenbez
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times and have always enjoyed it.
The staff are fantastic.friendly helpful and quick.
The seaview is stunning (we always book a seaview room its worth it)
The food is excellent, beautifully presented, wonderful choice and flavours .
If there was one thing I would change it would be to update bedding to duvets.
Otherwise we cant wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2013