“A Grand Old Lady...”

Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Worcester, United Kingdom
“A Grand Old Lady...”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have stayed at The Grand Hotel several times over the years and have visited on dozens of occasions. This time, i merely visited everyday for five days because my family were staying at the hotel for a break. The Grand Hotel is just that, Grand. It is a beautiful place to just relax and take in the wonderful views of Torquay. The service is attentive and friendly, the food really is top notch and the Devon cream tea is without doubt the best i have ever tasted. The cream tea is absolutely fabulous, the scones are huge, light and utterly addictive. The are served slightly warm and simply cannot be beaten. Certainly the price is very reasonable at £6.50, when another four star hotel in Dartmouth charges £2.45 more and the are not a patch on those served at The Grand. However, the only plea i would have to Mr Richardson and the management team is this. The Grand Old Lady is looking a little tired and worn. For instance, the sofas in the lounge are old, grubby and worn. I have been visiting the past five or so years and the sofas have not changed during this period. I mean really, would it really cost that much to replace perhaps five sofas, or at the very least have the reupholstered? Also, some of the decor is a bit tatty. Above the sofa looking out towards the Torquay Wheel, there is a bare patch on the ceiling. Now that was certainly there when i visited in June. Finally, the outside of the hotel could do with being painted white, just to freshen it up. Without doubt, The Grand Hotel is Torbay's premier hotel, it just needs to take a few steps to ensure that it stays that way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SimonCarter1973

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
wrcestershire
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Booked this hotel at the last minute when they forecast some nice weather. The only room available was a compact double but to my surprise on check in we (myself and 8yr old son) had been allocated a premier room which was very large and clean. It was regatta week in Torquay and the hotel had various events on which did make the hotel very busy but the terrace was a wonderful place to watch the firework display and the red arrows. The staff were all very pleasant and the food (breakfast, 2 evening meals and a cream tea) were all very good. The service at breakfast was slow and disorganised but the hotel was full and I don't think the staff were prepared for such a busy time, they were however still friendly. My son had a great time in the outdoor pool which he said was warm and there was a life guard on duty. The pool area could benefit with a bit of TLC but I'm sure this has not been a priority with the weather the way it has been the last few summers! All in all we had a wonderful time, thank you.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nikkiworcs
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Thank you for your excellent feedback from your recent stay at the Grand Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us in this very busy period and the fact you mentioned about the friendliness of the staff is very encouraging and great pride for the entire team. I am glad you liked your meals and cream tea and your son enjoyed the outdoor pool.
Once again thank you taking your time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I have shared your comments with all our staff members and they are equally happy that you had a brilliant holiday with us and are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel.

Deputy General Manager.
Whitland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Printed brochure and website both state reserve a parking place in hotel garage when making booking (false advertising) if you try you are told its first come first serve although they do allocate 2 bays for car valeting which cant be used at night when not in use for valeting and another 2 bays are allocated to a non guests boat/trailer, also the garage at night is not a safe place for guests as unlit. Wardrobe door hinges loose so door does not close or open properly, bare hardboard screwed to top of TV stand for unknown reason. Accumulated dust on all horizontal surfaces above head height, headboard stained, under the bed not hovered and skirting board behind bed filthy. Breakfast menu states, "crispy fried bread" with full English, no one has ever seen fried bread, crispy or otherwise. Dinner is a joke if you live long enough for it to arrive; we were lucky in only eating there twice. On both occasions medium rare steak arrived well done after a 40 minute wait, amazingly the replacements cooked correctly arrived in 10 minutes. The after dinner drinks when ordered took over 15 minutes to arrive even though the central bar was only 10 feet away. One pool and the Jacuzzi not working for the foreseeable future due to maintenance staff not being on site to organise repairs or parts required.

Room Tip: Don't choose a Hotel owned by Richardson.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin C
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. At the time of making a reservation we can offer a limited amount of reserved car park as advertised in our brochure. Unfortunately at busy times of the year if this as already been allocated we cannot reserve more. I must apologize for the wait you experienced in the Compass bar this not the usual type of service we provide hear at the Grand. The steaks should be cooked perfectly by our experienced brigade, I am sorry they were not on this occasion. However I am pleased my team responded and you finally had the steaks cooked to your request. I hope to welcome you back to the Grand in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

GLASTONBURY
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had a long relaxing weekend at the Grand. . Friday night we ate at the Compass Bar at the Hotel, the food was very nice, the drinks a little pricey, the entertainment was a male singer who was great.
Breakfast was excellent, self service either continental or the full English or a bit of both. All beautifully presented, piping hot and very tasty.
Saturday evening we caught a bus from right outside the hotel into town, two minutes, then there were lots of restaurants and bars to choose from, last bus back 11.30 ish! During the day its nice to take a leisurely walk along the prom to the harbour or you are just across the road from the beach.

The Grand is beautiful Victorian building, a little tatty outside, but she is an old lady. Inside is traditional and comfortable. The staff are friendly, polite and good at their jobs. Well Done !

Room Tip: Our room (418) was on the left hand side (when looking from the road) We could see the sea, but di...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue W
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I appreciate the kind comments regarding the team here at The Grand Hotel. They are an asset to the hotel and work really hard to make everyone’s stay as enjoyable as possible. I am glad you found it relaxing and your overall stay excellent. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was our first stay at The Grand. What a beautiful place to spend a holiday. The hotel is right on the sea front with lovely views.
The hotel was spotlessly clean, the food was excellent as were the menu choices. The staff were really lovely and very helpful and the entertainment was very good.
We will definitely be going back there.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LULUTIME
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback and taking the time to write a review. I am glad you found the food, housekeeping and the team excellent and I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just come back from a 2 night short break. Parking was not well signed, but luckily found Grand Hotel car spaces at railway station (opposite), reception staff were excellent and room although 'tired' was clean. However the window in the room was very hard to open and even harder to close, not that we wanted to as the room was so hot. We discovered early in the morning that pigeons were either nesting or just using the ledge above our window for an early morning sing song!! The staff in the Compass Bar were very busy but the service was fairly quick and the waitresses all had a smile. The food was good and well presented. Overall felt that the Hotel was in need of modernising, windows needing replacing, dining room needing redecorating. Situation was excellent with easy walk into centre. All in all would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor. I appreciate your comments about our reception team and the service you received in the Compass bar was quick and our waitress had a smile, I will pass this on to our team. We are looking at a structured refurbishment plan going forward for our bedrooms, the 1881 restaurant is a grand old restaurant which is in keeping with the surroundings of this great hotel and I feel is in good order. As much as I like to meet and exceed all guests’ expectations I cannot prevent birds from singing outside of your room as dawn breaks and can assure you we do not have any nests on the hotel roofs.
I appreciate all feedback as it helps us to grow and adapt to our guests’ needs. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I did not stay at this hotel but had one evening meal in the dining room. This was, in my opinion, poor quality and grossly over-priced. Moreover I found the attitude of the staff condescending and I would not recommend the restaurant to anyone else. Gwynneth

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family