The Grand Hotel
US$97
  • Breakfast included
US$126
Excellent 5/5
Corbyn Head Hotel(Torquay)(Great Value!)
US$107
  • Breakfast included
US$95
PremierInn.com
2,627 results
All reviewscompass barhotel garagesea viewstation car parkagatha christiecream teaindoor poolpublic areaslounge barsea frontsunday lunchleisure facilitiesa bit tiredsome tlcwaiting staffbiscuitsshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The service from all the staff was great, especially the girls in the bar. My room was lovely too, as was the hotel. The girls from the nail bar were very nice as well.

Room Tip: Request a sea-view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for your beautiful review, we are lucky to have so many wonderful staff working at the Grand Hotel whose passion is to look after our guests requirements and make sure they have an enjoyable and relaxing stay. You are correct the views from the vast majority of our rooms are spectacular with panoramic views across the bay. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Griffiths
Deputy General Manager

WE STAYED MON-THURS, ON RECOMENDATION FROM A REGULAR GUEST AT THE GRAND,
The rooms and reminiscent ambience of the hotel is lovely and unique, and the cuisine is top notch. The staff are helpful and friendly, and rooms warm and welcoming.
.However.... The system of service in both the bar and restaurant is only what can be described as ''strange''.
I am tempted to say ''pretend posh'' , By which I mean... LOTS of individuals, doing isolated individual roles, following their own individual protocol..to absolute perfection....BUT perhaps a case of the left hand not being sure what the right is doing ??
We saw one occasion when a couple ordered drinks with a waiter who came to serve them[ very nicely] in the bar area. The couple were then escorted into the bar restaurant by [a lovely] waiter 2, who the couple informed that they had ordred drinks. He assured them that he would bring said drinks in. Then[ the polite and friendly] waiter 3 took over at the couples table....... then the drinks arrived in the bar area with the original [nice guy] waiter..who wandered round bemused, looking for the couple. this continued for a few minutes...dispite both other waiters passing the original waiter twice ! eventualy..it was too painful to watch...so we told the waiter with the drinks that the couple were in the dining area ! [ could see them through the window]
THE MOST DISSAPOINTING PART OF OUR STAY. We were presented with a wonderful buffet breakfast on day 1. Then on day 2 with no prior warning...we were told it was now plated for full English. This is totally inconvenient for us. Our toddler has rice crispies and will, like most small children..become agitated when she had to wait for mummy and daddy's breakfast which took 20 mins to order...then 25-30 mins to arrive.[ we also had to call someone over after 15mins because we hadn't been asked if we wanted tea or coffee]
We saw one tray of ready breakfasts brought out by one member of staff, and just left standing for ten mins on a side board as staff just walked back and two[past the tray] in a state of panic and chaos !
It just seems such a shame that these out-dated, and not very economical serving systems, are clearly instructed by management. And the changes to the buffet are obviously an attempt to portion control and cost cut. But in real terms...the cost is sure to be higher, in volume of work for chefs and waiters..and the most damaging....lost repeat visits.
The real shame is that the staff are such a polite, professional and friendly bunch !!!! especialy Hassan...who I have to say, went a long way towards lightening our disappointment over the breakfast scenario !
SO TO SUMARISE. The grand is unique and does offer some sense of bygone luxury and tradition, coupled with amazing food. The staff have all the qualities required to make guests feel special too. I AM however quite annoyed by the cheek with which the management decided to juggle and experiment with my experience,without notice. and for this reason will not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your long in depth review after you recent stay with us. I am pleased overall you felt the hotel is lovely, unique, the food top notch, the team helpful and friendly and the rooms warm and welcoming. Wow! what better review can I ask for, any hotel would be pleased with those comments. However I feel it is slightly unfair to single out a waiter in the bar for being bemused where his customers had gone/moved. Yes the other staff should have communicated with him and told him where they had moved them. But surely a little nudge in the right direction like you did was fine and then possibly a word to the duty manager would of sufficed.
I apologise you felt the most disappointing part of your stay was the change in how the breakfast was served. We have not done this to save money we have changed it from buffet to plated to give a better quality product to our guests. We have listened to guest feedback as the buffet service was not working. Obviously with any new way of service we are going to have issues which we are trying to eliminate. However I can assure you we were not experimenting with your stay and were purely trying to enhance our guest’s experience. It is shame after all your favourable comments above you have decided not to return as we would love to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Griffiths
Deputy General Manager.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were lucky and managed to get a car park spot in the garage otherwise on the road parking if you can find a place or in the railway station car park over the road I don't know how much this is I didn't look. The staff were very polite and friendly noting was too much trouble for them
The pool area was good, but needs more attention in the locker rooms every thing is wet and didn't look very clean.

Our room was spacious, beds comfy, but the night we stayed the wind was blowing gale force and blew through the windows that don't fit too well.
I was told they were renovating the hotel but did not see any thing myself to agree either way. Not the best hotel we have stayed in but certainly not the worst, reasonable value for the cost

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had previously stayed at the Grand in April 2011 and really enjoyed our 2 night stay (31st Oct- 2nd Nov this year). We had 2 superb evening meals, we both had hake as our main course on the first night and then sea bass the second night- it was faultless. The staff at all times were very happy and welcoming. We had a comfortable sea view room (314). The only minor problem was the shower wasn't working correctly at first. Rather than contact reception I soon fixed it by tightening the screw in the head of the shower. We have stayed at all of the Richardson hotels in the south west except for the Metropole in Padstow (we did however have an excellent Sunday lunch there once. Other guests mention on Trip Advisor about the hotel is looking tired around the edges, my view would be that the hotel is excellent value for money, taking everything into consideration, so I believe if there was a major re-fit the prices would considerably increase, so probably reducing the number of guests staying there. We liked the convienience factor of the railway station and so left our car in the hotel garage.

Room Tip: Always choose a sea view room, when you have a stunning location
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have stayed here many times and this time booked a family room as a half term treat for our grandchildren. We were not disappointed. A lovely hotel as always. The breakfast situation is quite amusing.
On Tuesday we had a buffet breakfast - excellent. On Tuesday it was plated which caused some confusion - food still excellent.
I mentioned this to the receptionist on checking out, she commented that as a 4 star hotel it should be plated but to be honest I think most people would rather a buffet for breakfast.
Either way we shall return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family