“Good location”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Although our room was fairly small, for the price we paid we thought it was perfect. The bed was comfy with plenty of pillows and cushions and the en-suite had decent towels (not those too small ones!) We made use of the heated indoor pool and sauna. The Jacuzzi was the warmest I had ever used- lovely. All the staff seemed attentive and friendly. We ate dinner in the bar overlooking Torquay bay. The other half said that it was the best fish and chips he had ever had, but my veggie pasta dish was a bit too bland for my liking. Good place for a couple of days stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,569)

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Two nights ago, I left my very ill mother in Torbay Hospital and thought it wasn't worthwhile driving for an hour to get home, when I'd be back at the hospital in the morning. I decided to see if I could get a cheap room at The Grand. I'd stayed there before, and had found the reception welcoming, the room comfortable, and I had loved the open air swimming pool.

I was very tired, quite low in spirits, and had nothing with me for an overnight stay. I could not have met a kinder, more caring reception from the staff. I told them my circumstances, and they immediately offered me a wonderful suite, with a sea view, at a reduced rate. I felt so touched by this. The Grand is a prestigious hotel; it would be very easy for the culture there to be quite elitist and remote but, on the contrary, the staff are friendly and genuinely caring. The rooms I had were very comfortable, the view was lovely, and I had everything I needed to make my spur-of-the-moment overnight stay relaxing. I ordered a supper in my room - which came promptly - a hot bath, and went to bed. It was all I needed to help me feel better.

As a vegetarian, I was able to order soya milk, without any problem, and when I enquired about whether the eggs were free range in the morning at breakfast, I was told they were. This too, is a credit to the hotel.

Kindness is a much under-rated quality, I feel, and certainly not often experienced in a hotel setting. I would recommend The Grand to anyone who wants to stay in a beautiful location and to feel that they are treated as individuals, whose needs really matter. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting friends. Comfortable room, overlooking the bay. Nice balcony. Floors a bit creaky. Bathroom very nice. Bed comfortable. Very clean. Downstairs bar, good food, excellent staff. Breakfast a bit plain. Get there early to get car parking place in hotel garage. Next to train station. Good for a seaside hotel.

Room Tip: Front rooms on high floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We booked a weekend (Fri / Sat) stay at the Grand Hotel in Torquay as we had stayed previously and liked the hotel.

We booked a Superior Double Room B&B. On arrival we were greeted by the receptionist and checked into the room. It wasn't until a little later when we enquired about booking a table in the restaurant for the evening that we hit the first problem! The hotel had a function on that evening (Fri) and couldn't accommodate anyone else who hadn't booked Dinner B&B in the bar area as the main 1881 restaurant was taken over for the function.

Oh well, we thought, we'll eat out tonight, and eat in the hotel on Sat night. Nope! They also had a function on Saturday night and again there was no availability for anyone who hadn't pre-booked Dinner to eat at the hotel.

The room was OK. Bigger than the standard room we'd had last time, but being on the 4th (top) floor the bathroom wall sloped inwards. Not a big problem normally, but this was where the shower was and so not only did you almost reach the ceiling you were leaning to one side to avoid the wall.

We spoke to the manager (Andrew) on the Saturday morning and mentioned the fact that we couldn't eat in either restaurant. We also mentioned the shower as well and he said that he was aware of the room in question.

Much to our surprise Andrew then offered to move us to another room if we would like and made a goodwill gesture as well to cover the additional costs of getting to another restaurant.

The other room on the first floor was fabulous. Lovely sea views across the outdoor pool. A table and chairs, desk etc. We were delighted and it fully restored our faith in the hotel.

The manager and reception staff took on board that anyone staying would naturally expect to be able to book a table in the restaurant, and if that wasn't possible for any reason then people should be notified at the time they booked.

In all a very satisfactory resolution was reached and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay again.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room. We had room 111 which has a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

After booking our stay I decided to review the comments from previous guests and became worried that I had booked the wrong place. HOWEVER, I WAS WRONG!!!
The Grand Hotel, was fabulous. We arrived to friendly and attentive staff, we were welcomed and were reminded of the free facilities available, gym, swimming pool etc. We took our children and their partners, they too were very impressed, especially with the adjoining rooms, which allowed them to spend more time with each other. All of our rooms were decorated well, came with the usual complimentary shampoo etc and were comfortable to sleep in, a great space too. The bar and library area was beautiful. Our stay was amazing, the food looked delicious, we would have tried it but had made a booking else where. Breakfast was brilliant, with a wide range of choices and once again attentive staff and good quality local produce.
I will definitely be returning to the Grand, with other family members and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. A GREAT PLACE TO STAY.
Mr and Mrs Williams.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and had a room overlooking the train station and car park. Room was fine, high ceilings and decent bedlinen. The bathroom was okay - nothing special.

The Compass Lounge & Bar is a bit tired, the central bar looks old and tatty and not what it should be. Staff are more than pleasant but its all a bit slow - even when there aren't many guests around. When we ate in the restaurant the waitress was excellent, attentive but not intrusive and we had the added bonus of a guest playing the grand piano whilst we were eating.

Breakfast however, was another matter. Breakfast is in the 1881 Restaurant - a lovely setting. The full English breakfast was very small, one rasher bacon, one sausage, cheap looking baked beans, 1/2 a small tomato and 1/2 slice fried bread. Not very inspiring and not a good way to start the day.

Our room was cold when we got there, i mentioned this to reception staff and by the time i returned from a walk along the sea front, the radiators were boiling hot and the room warming up nicely. All the staff in all areas are very helpful and willing which redeems things like the elderly bar area but even so I wouldn't rate this as a four star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The location and everything else lead me to believe I was in for a treat, however the frontage is a façade, for the room was reminiscent of a seaside B&B, very tired, shabby with no view whatsoever. The food and bar were great and a special mention for the guy who valeted cars in their garage, he couldn't do enough to help

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business