“Christmas presents”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Having stayed at the hotel before we had no hesitation in organising our January 3 night break as our Christmas presents to one another. The hotel did not disappoint us. From a warm welcome at the reception right through to all the remaining staff that we dealt with they were friendly and efficient. Particular thanks must be given to the dining room and kitchen staff when we ate the evening meals. My wife has food allergies and they took great trouble in making suggestions and altering all the courses as appropriate. They could not have been more helpful.The food was imanginative and excellent. Our room was very smart. We came away having had very good value for our money and we will return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review and I was pleased to hear you treated yourself to a stay at the Grand Hotel as a Christmas Present. Thank you for thinking of us at such a special time of year. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and you found the staff extremely professional and friendly. They are an asset to us and can make or break a guest’s stay. It just shows here we will go beyond a customer’s expectation where possible, especially with dietary requirements. All you need to do is let us know any special requirements and sit back and enjoy your stay and we will take care of the rest. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Andrew Griffiths.
Deputy General Manager.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the Grand just after new year 2014.
On first impressions were that the old place is looking very tired outside and needs quite a lot of TLC.
Checking in was smooth and hassle free. Lobby and bar areas are lovely and exactly what you would expect, very nice.
Our room was a premier inland double. The furniture and general condition and finish was oh so very tired and certainly was not what you would wish for nor expect from an alleged 4* Hotel.
The Journey from the room to the lift was also very interesting, walking over bald and threadbare carpet. What the hell are you doing Richardson Hotels, come on this is not 4* more like 2*.
You are obviously more interested in bringing in revenue from weddings and functions than you are caring for the accommodation and rooms.
The evening meals in the restaurant were as good as ever perfectly cooked.
Sadly breakfast is not what we have grown to expect from the grand. The breakfast used to be a buffet for hot and the continental options which was always fantastic. Now sadly to reduce costs they now serve you with the hot or meant to be hot breakfast. We had ours it was cold when it arrived also the bacon was destroyed and hard as hell and had to squint to see it..
So come on the grand sort things out please you have been and could be so much more than this. Watch out you may soon be 3* if your not very, very careful.
I would probably return to this Hotel but there is much better around for much less.

Room Tip: Very small rooms in the past have stayed in a sea view room and that was also a joke.
1  Thank Goldilocks38

Thank you for your review. Yes you are correct the Grand is an old place and is situated right on the seafront about 1 mile from the centre of Torquay. We are aware of some tlc in places and over the last 6 month and the next 12 months we have started to invest in the structure and refurbishment of the building again. As a company we have already invested a significant amount in this grand old lady and she still needs constant care and attention in the future. Looking after the Grand Hotel is like painting the Forth Road Bridge when you finish at one end you have to immediately begin at the other. With this in mind we have already started refurbishment of our 1st floor rooms and hope to begin on the 2nd floor later this year.
I can assure you as a company we have not changed the way we serve breakfast from a buffet to plated to reduce costs. In fact the opposite is true in this case, it takes more members of the team to serve a plated breakfast and to prepare a plated breakfast than it does a buffet. We are also looking at revamping a breakfast going forward to make sure we are offering the best quality and product to our guests. I must apologise though for you not receiving your breakfast hot on this occasion and the bacon being destroyed as this is not the usual standard we are proud of here. I hope you will return in the future and you will see the hard work the management and team are putting in at the hotel to maintain and improve our standards for our guests.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Griffiths.
Deputy General Manager.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Although our room was fairly small, for the price we paid we thought it was perfect. The bed was comfy with plenty of pillows and cushions and the en-suite had decent towels (not those too small ones!) We made use of the heated indoor pool and sauna. The Jacuzzi was the warmest I had ever used- lovely. All the staff seemed attentive and friendly. We ate dinner in the bar overlooking Torquay bay. The other half said that it was the best fish and chips he had ever had, but my veggie pasta dish was a bit too bland for my liking. Good place for a couple of days stay.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Two nights ago, I left my very ill mother in Torbay Hospital and thought it wasn't worthwhile driving for an hour to get home, when I'd be back at the hospital in the morning. I decided to see if I could get a cheap room at The Grand. I'd stayed there before, and had found the reception welcoming, the room comfortable, and I had loved the open air swimming pool.

I was very tired, quite low in spirits, and had nothing with me for an overnight stay. I could not have met a kinder, more caring reception from the staff. I told them my circumstances, and they immediately offered me a wonderful suite, with a sea view, at a reduced rate. I felt so touched by this. The Grand is a prestigious hotel; it would be very easy for the culture there to be quite elitist and remote but, on the contrary, the staff are friendly and genuinely caring. The rooms I had were very comfortable, the view was lovely, and I had everything I needed to make my spur-of-the-moment overnight stay relaxing. I ordered a supper in my room - which came promptly - a hot bath, and went to bed. It was all I needed to help me feel better.

As a vegetarian, I was able to order soya milk, without any problem, and when I enquired about whether the eggs were free range in the morning at breakfast, I was told they were. This too, is a credit to the hotel.

Kindness is a much under-rated quality, I feel, and certainly not often experienced in a hotel setting. I would recommend The Grand to anyone who wants to stay in a beautiful location and to feel that they are treated as individuals, whose needs really matter. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting friends. Comfortable room, overlooking the bay. Nice balcony. Floors a bit creaky. Bathroom very nice. Bed comfortable. Very clean. Downstairs bar, good food, excellent staff. Breakfast a bit plain. Get there early to get car parking place in hotel garage. Next to train station. Good for a seaside hotel.

Room Tip: Front rooms on high floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We booked a weekend (Fri / Sat) stay at the Grand Hotel in Torquay as we had stayed previously and liked the hotel.

We booked a Superior Double Room B&B. On arrival we were greeted by the receptionist and checked into the room. It wasn't until a little later when we enquired about booking a table in the restaurant for the evening that we hit the first problem! The hotel had a function on that evening (Fri) and couldn't accommodate anyone else who hadn't booked Dinner B&B in the bar area as the main 1881 restaurant was taken over for the function.

Oh well, we thought, we'll eat out tonight, and eat in the hotel on Sat night. Nope! They also had a function on Saturday night and again there was no availability for anyone who hadn't pre-booked Dinner to eat at the hotel.

The room was OK. Bigger than the standard room we'd had last time, but being on the 4th (top) floor the bathroom wall sloped inwards. Not a big problem normally, but this was where the shower was and so not only did you almost reach the ceiling you were leaning to one side to avoid the wall.

We spoke to the manager (Andrew) on the Saturday morning and mentioned the fact that we couldn't eat in either restaurant. We also mentioned the shower as well and he said that he was aware of the room in question.

Much to our surprise Andrew then offered to move us to another room if we would like and made a goodwill gesture as well to cover the additional costs of getting to another restaurant.

The other room on the first floor was fabulous. Lovely sea views across the outdoor pool. A table and chairs, desk etc. We were delighted and it fully restored our faith in the hotel.

The manager and reception staff took on board that anyone staying would naturally expect to be able to book a table in the restaurant, and if that wasn't possible for any reason then people should be notified at the time they booked.

In all a very satisfactory resolution was reached and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay again.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room. We had room 111 which has a great view.
Reviewed 18 January 2014

After booking our stay I decided to review the comments from previous guests and became worried that I had booked the wrong place. HOWEVER, I WAS WRONG!!!
The Grand Hotel, was fabulous. We arrived to friendly and attentive staff, we were welcomed and were reminded of the free facilities available, gym, swimming pool etc. We took our children and their partners, they too were very impressed, especially with the adjoining rooms, which allowed them to spend more time with each other. All of our rooms were decorated well, came with the usual complimentary shampoo etc and were comfortable to sleep in, a great space too. The bar and library area was beautiful. Our stay was amazing, the food looked delicious, we would have tried it but had made a booking else where. Breakfast was brilliant, with a wide range of choices and once again attentive staff and good quality local produce.
I will definitely be returning to the Grand, with other family members and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. A GREAT PLACE TO STAY.
Mr and Mrs Williams.