“cold food”

Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“cold food”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Just had another stay at this hotel. All I can say is please bring back the buffet breakfast. It was so much nicer and hotter. Some of the evening meals also came out luke warm. Spoilt an otherwise pleasant stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hollydays12
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
I did feel the reviewer’s title is a little harsh and this is not a standard at the hotel. Yes we have had issues with our breakfast but we are working hard to ensure our guests have the perfect breakfast every time. One of the reasons we went away from buffet breakfast was because we received complaints about it being cold and unappealing, therefore going back to it kind of defeats the object which I have stated above. I sincerely apologise on this occasion your food was not as hot as it should have been and can assure you this is being rectified with immediate effect with our team.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Absolutely lovely, didn't want to leave.
Very Very welcoming and friendly staff, gorgeous food, amazing entertainment everything was just absolutely perfect! Will definitely be coming back without a doubt!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent review. Our team at the hotel are a great asset who are professional and polite and are here to meet and exceed our guests expectations at all times. We have recently recruited a new Executive Head Chef who is installing new standards in our kitchen and creating exciting new menus to tantalize the taste buds of any discerning diner. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Rooms very dated and for what you get very expensive. Prices in the hotel are rather expensive as well . Staff are very friendly and rooms are clean and tidy. Food is faultless cooked to perfection but very overpriced... beauty salon excellent. Overall enjoyed our quiet relaxing weekend.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1Allisonjayne
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Some of our rooms are requiring an upgrade and we have a whole wing of the first floor sealed off at present to do exactly this. We have installed a structured refurbishment programme going forward for the next two years which will see vast improvements at the hotel including a new leisure and spa area.
For a four star hotel we are competitively priced in the market place for accommodation, food and beverage and are constantly reviewing our pricing structure with our competition. We have many offers on throughout the year and at present you can stay with us for £69 on a bed and breakfast basis or £99 on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis in February in a standard room, upgrades are available.
I hope to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Andrew Griffiths.
Deputy General Manager.
Surrey
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Two recent visits for Saturday lunch, food very good on both occasions. Particularly liked the desserts of the day this time. Tables by the window facing the sea are perfect. Excellent service both times by Magda, gold star for her! Will be back again before long!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SunnySurreyTraveller
Thank for your excellent review regarding your two recent visits for lunch in our Compass lounge. I am pleased you like our new menu and in particular our dessert of the day. Our tables in the Brasserie area are situated to give most diners panoramic reviews across the bay on either a sunny or stormy day.
I am glad Magda provided you with excellent service on both occasions and I will pass on your comments to her. I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Oxfordshire
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We were supposed to stay for the weekend at the beginning of January but the awful storms and flooding made it impossible for us to travel. (The AA and other agencies advised against it, and our road was badly flooded and impassable for days). I rang to see whether I could change the booking and the young lady was really helpful. She re-arranged the booking for last weekend instead.

Our weekend was enjoyable, and our stay only marginally less comfortable than before. We were a little disappointed that breakfast was now served to us at our table and was not particularly hot. There is really no excuse as they have enough staff and presumably enough equipment to serve a hot breakfast. The buffet we had previously enjoyed seemed a much better idea to us.

There is a special charm about The Grand Hotel. Yes, it may need some refurbishment but it is clean and comfortable, the view over Torbay is to die for, and the staff are friendly and efficient. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

One gripe is that we were not charged the agreed rate for our stay when we checked out last Sunday. We were charged an additional £80 which I felt was not good practice. If there had been a surcharge for the change of booking, it should have been discussed and agreed with me on the telephone when I asked if the original booking could be changed. The person I spoke to said nothing about a revised price for the weekend, therefore I was expecting to pay the agreed price for the original booking. I e-mailed but have not yet had a reply or explanation. That is really disappointing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RosebudLily
Reviewed 24 January 2014

stayed overnight at the grand hotel we were visting family in the area so we thought we stay in this hotel for a treat , the room was nice , had nice swim in the heat pool , very nice , went out in the evening there was a harvester about ten minutes away that was very good value , went for breakfast in the morning we both ordered a full english with a poached egg , it was awful you could not eat it which just left it all ,so dissapointing for a four star hotel really should only be two star, so be careful if you like a nice breakfast dont book here chose somewhere else , we are very dissapointed with this hotel wanted to stay another night but chose to go home .

Room Tip: chose on the south side
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bubbadee

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I went to the Grand hotel 'spa' for a much needed day of r and r after being flooded out. Decided against the £90 Day pass- 2 treatments/lunch with mineral water/use of pool/sauna and jacuzzi and opted for the £30 January deal for 2 treatments, then paid for the pool entry and paid for my lunch. I was so glad that I did. I will say that the beauticians are fantastic, I had the best massages from Nina, who was charming and extremely professional. I sadly cannot say the same for the pool etc. The pool is Ok, but the surroundings are very faded- horrible whicker chairs ( only a couple and a sofa) covered with mold stained covers and a couple of plastic upright chars. So not the place to 'relax' on a lounger after your treatments if you are having the Day package. As for the changing rooms- horrible ! Circa 1950's public swimming pool, chipped paint-cramped, useless one hairdryer ( circa 1970 Travelodge !). You also need to dress to have lunch in the Compass Bar, so not the inclusive spa experience that you would hope for where you can lunch in the dressing gown. You would feel rather out of place dressed like that ! So - lunch.... I sat in the front corner of the bar on a reasonably comfortable armchair overlooking the sea and opposite a seriously faded sofa ( shiny upholstery on arm through use). The bar has a very tatty feel to it, it could be so fantastic with only a little re-furb, mainly furniture. It had a nice atmosphere and was very busy. I had an excellent crab sandwich with side salad (£11 though) and a nice glass of prosecco (£4.50) which I thought reasonable. The staff were utterly charming and efficient. So hence 3 stars- I would give 5 to the beauty salon but 2 for the general shabbiness. Silly, it could be so so good with just a little more effort- it is not even 'shabby chic' either- just worn. I really would so love to be able to use this spa more often, there is such a need in Torbay for this sort of place. I cannot understand why in Brittany ( ie Dinard and St Malo) there are thalassotherapy hotels- Why not in Devon, it is the same sea. Now there is an idea ?!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent spa day at the Grand Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the massage and food element of your day. I am sorry you felt the facilities did not meet your expectations. Last year we submitted plans to the local council for a refurbishment of our leisure facilities. This I am pleased to say was approved and we are hoping to undertake this task later on in the year. As a hotel we are well aware of investment needed in certain areas and we have instigated a structured refurbishment programme going forward. In fact we have just started on our rooms on the 1st floor. I hope you will be able to come back and experience the exciting changes happening at the Grand Hotel for 2014.

Andrew Griffiths.