“Lovely View”

Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Lovely View”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here for work. Got a good double room facing the bay. Little bit dated but the hotel is still very nice. I didn't take advantage of the pool or beauty spa.
I thought the meals in the Compass bar a little overpriced £12 for a cottage pie and a few vegetables but hey it is the Grand.
I was able to park on the road so didn't need to use the garage parking.

Lovely breakfast plenty of choice

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mel0253

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were given a nights stay at The Grand for a Christmas present the 2nd week of Jan. Parking was easy as was right opposite in the allocated parking at the train station. When we arrived at reception, we were seen to very quickly by friendly staff. They had upgraded us to a sea view room which was absolutely stunning. The weather was good so made it even better!
The room was lovely and clean and very spacious. We had dinner at about 7.30, as you can choose your time slot and the food was lovely! After dinner we sat in the lounge area for a couple drinks before bed.
We had a nice tasty full English breakfast the following morning with option of continental as well with plenty of tea & coffee! All the staff were very professional, friendly & attentive and the overall stay was very relaxing.

Room Tip: Sea view room was fab!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
plymouth-england
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We booked the Grand hotel as we have stayed at this hotel exactly 2 years ago, upon check in we were given the same room as we have previous stayed in.
The room looked exactly the same as when we stayed two years ago, it was tired then its in dire need of a make over now.
The corridor leading to our room on the second floor once again is in need of a make over the carpet has several rips in various places and looks an eyesore.

The hotel needs to retain that old style feel but also needs to have nice furnishings and nice finishes which I feel are missing.

My biggest gripe of the whole stay was the appalling breakfast at the Grand Hotel, they now serve you your so called full English breakfast instead of letting you select your own items(which they had on our previous stay). After waiting 20 minutes to get the attention of a waitress my breakfast turned up <5 mins later it was something I would of expected to be served at a local B&B not a so called 4 star hotel it was all luke warm and obviously had been stored in mass in the kitchen and put on a plate in a rush IT WAS APPALLING AND NOT EATEN !!! .

They are certainly charging the money to stay here without putting it back into maintaining the hotel to a 4 star standard also cutting things like breakfast just made it an unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: ask for a redecorated room !!! avoid breakfast
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I feel we are Grand in so many more ways. The entrance, the view, many of the bedrooms, the public rooms, the team and the history are all Grand. Yes I agree some of our rooms are in need of some attention in places. However we have just began a refurbishement programme and have completed the first phase of rooms. We will be undertaking further investment in the bedrooms and hallways over the coming 12 months.
I can assure you we are not cutting any element of what we offer our guests and have been adding many new products to our breakfast buffet and hot food served from the kitchen. Our hot buffet was receiving far too many complaints so we are cooking it fresh in the kitchen to order.
It seems on this occasion you did not receive our usual standard of breakfast food and service and for this I apologise. I hope you will be back to see us again in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The hotel staff were lovely and the ground floor areas were beautiful however......... We had a suite for which we paid an awful lot of money. It was to say the least tired! It desperately needed redecorating, the carpet had tape holding it together, the furniture needed putting in a skip it was dated and completely worn out and tatty. The room also fuffered with damp patches. The bathroom also very dated. I would guess the room hadn't been touched for 20 plus years. On the positive side the bed was very comfy and the rooms were a good size with great views. If they want to charge £250 a night then the room needs a complete and comprehensive make over! In fairness when we complained about the state of the room we were immediately offered a rate reduction. The advert offers oppulance we supposedly had a top room and oppulant is the last word I would have used. This hotel occupies pole position and could be amazing but needs investment very badly so come on Richardson hotels get your act together. Final winge the restaurant was poor it was very quiet but they couldn't get the orders right it also lacked atmosphere and was in my opinion very expensive for what it was.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your recent stay. I am glad you found your bed to be very comfy and your room to be of a good size with great views. We have recently started a refurbishment programme and are gradually working are way around the hotel. The first phase is complete and we are just about to begin phase two. I am sorry you did not feel your room was up to standard on this stay.

We have two dining options at the Grand Hotel which offer a selection of meals to suit all budgets and requirements. I am sorry our team did not get your order correct on this occasion. I hope you will come back in the future and give us another try.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Super grand!
Only stayed one night for business but parking good either in garage or they have their own allocated spaces in the station car park across the street although I would think you might struggle to get a spot in the summer.
Public areas are really nice, especially the lounge/bar, good service and very well maintained, it's very 'agatha Christie'!
I had a double with no sea view but it was very well kept and the bathroom looked new.
Overall I would highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your excellent review. I am glad you found the parking and the service from the team good. in the summer parking can be a struggle however please keep in mind we do offer valet parking. Just leave your keys with a member of the reception team who will make sure it is parked for you saving you the stress of finding a space. You are correct it’s very Agatha Christie and maintains an art deco feel especially through out the reception to the entrance hall and the sweeping staircase. Cocktails on the patio and brandy in the library you might feel you are invloved in one of her stories. I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Knowle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Top notch destination hotel right on the sea front but sufficiently far away from the bustle. High season will be a bit pricey. But, hey, thIs IS the Grand and you've got to pay for a bit of classy opulence. It's the kind of traditional feel of classiness too. The very pictures conjured up by an English 'Grand' hotel, on the English riviera match exactly the yearnings of yesteryear but with a very modern attitude to service and cuisine. For a bit of extra extravagance, go for lobster or crab. I'm told it's not always available but the locals tell me it would be unusual for this citadel of tradition and Torquay charm not to have these dishes on the go. Splash out. Enjoy a bit of extravagance, in or out of season.

Room Tip: All seem to be quiet rooms. Check for a sea view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time in leaving such an excellent review. I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We certainly sit proudly on the sea front with excellent panoramic views across the bay. I hope to welcome you back to the Grand Hotel soon.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

This grand old dame may be a little past her prime compared with when Agatha Christie honeymooned here in 1914, but she hasn't lost all her charms. If you like a taste of yesteryear at very reasonable cost, then don't miss out on her present day wiles. My room may have been a tad tired and dingy, but the service was above average and having breakfast by the high windows in the main dining room looking across the bay was worth the price of the 'ticket' alone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay. I can assure you we have invested some money in the hotel since Agatha Christie Honeymooned hear in 1914, and we are continuing an ongoing refurbishment of our rooms and public areas as I write these lines. I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfast in restaurant 1881 with the magnificient views across the bay.