“A fading glory”

Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Berkshire
“A fading glory”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a large conference. Our first floor room was large with a sea view but in places the grandeur was fading. Whilst we had a recently upgraded bathroom, the rest of the room was starting to show its age. During our stay we visited a number of other rooms and its true to say those were better. So it maybe we were unlucky. Ask for a room higher up and I suspect you will be happier.

The bar was busy though a little expensive. Can't comment on the food as we ate out almost all the time, the one exception being where they had to serve dinner to 200 people in 45 minutes, a challenge for any hotel.

Parking was a challenge when the hotel is busy, so we ended up parking over the road in the rugby ground by arrangement with the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roomdetective

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from a relaxing 3 nights at The Grand Hotel, Torquay (July 2014). The hotel is dated and in need of some TLC, this hotel is rated as four star and needs upgrading. I understand if they are wanting to keep a classic, old look but ripped carpet and stained wallpaper is unacceptable.

The breakfast choice is excellent, I have no idea why people were complaining. Full buffet style and also have the choice of ordering a few items on the a la carte menu too (smoked haddock, poached eggs, smoked salmon for example and is included in the price - I had both and were cooked perfect).

We relaxed around the outdoor pool for three days, which has a bar and waitress service (limited food choice), we also used the indoor spa facilities. We booked a 'compact' room and apart of needing some aircon, I can't really complain - although we were given a fan.

There is plenty of room to relax in and around the hotel and has fantastic views. Location is perfect, opposite the beach. Harbour is about 10-15mins walk.

We did eat in the Lounge Restaurant. Personally, I think the menu needs a small makeover, I don't think it needs a menu which offers 6 or more different steaks (one of which costs £46). On our last evening, we were told that due to the other restaurant being fully booked, they weren't taking orders for about an hour as they had a backlog of orders to clear. I can see why this would annoy people, but we were in no rush and relaxed in the lounge with a glass of wine whilst waiting for our table. The 'light bites' for a snack are very light - these are the size of a starter rather than a light meal as described.

I found all the staff very friendly and very helpful - but they do need more staff to cater for this very large hotel.

Overall, an enjoyable stay - I would recommend but ensure they were aware of how dated the hotel is.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I've been coming to Torquay for 3 decades now and have always walked past the Grand Hotel, wondering what it was like and whether it lived up to its "grand" title. Well, I'm pleased to say that it does. I stayed here for 4 nights recently and found the staff extremely friendly, the food delicious and the rooms clean. The rooms are a bit dated (the hair dryer appeared to be from a museum exhibit), but clean and comfortable. There was a kettle along with tea, coffee and biscuits in the room, as well as a safe in the wardrobe. There was a full English breakfast served every day, which was sufficient for my breakfast needs. My only complaint is the horrible music that played throughout the dining room. Michael Buble I believe. I had several dinners in the main dining room, which were very good. The view is very nice and the seating comfortable. I would stay here again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank acornwell
devon
Reviewed 13 July 2014

So my parents had booked a one night stay in room/ suite 100 as mother is disabled and was told they would have grab rails in bathroom around toliet and shower this was made very clear when booking and considering the one night b&b cost £278 you would expect the room to be right especaily when the guest arriving is disabled. So on arrival room not quite ready so went out when we came back they checked in and i took my mum up to room to find no grab rails or any aids in bathroom my mothers heart sank as she would be unable to use bathroom without help. Less than impressed we went back down stairs and explain situation to dad left them in bar and i went to recieption who aplogised and said the would get all aids put in straight away so i thought nothing more of it and we had a drink in bar. Myself and husband were staying down the rd so arranged to meet for dinner at the grand at 8 my parents went to freshen up went too room and as they went to use loo put pressure on grab rail by toliet it came off wall lucky nobody was badly hurt! When told recieption they said they get it fix no mention of accident book! Then came dinner by this time my mum was pretty upset so we ate in resturant by bar food starters were cold and also my first starter was dropped in my lap so i had to wait twice as long for next one ! The main courses half of it didnt arrive if you order a rib eye steaks and chips at £25 you would expect to get the chips at same time as steak but we didnt recieve them i ask twice about missing items but by the time someone came over to say we could have them soon we had finished! So a manager came over to say sorry etc and would discount dinner bill by this time it was nearly midnight and assured me rails were fixed properly so i left thinking parents would be safe in there room ! Only to recieve a call 20mins after my parents had gone bk to room no grab rails by toliet ! So he point blankley lied to me £278 for what ,definately not 4star ! So angry !

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank michellecoles21

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had booked a table for lunch at 1pm to celebrate my stepfather's 90th birthday. We arrived at 12.55pm to find the table wasn't ready. Indeed, another couple had to be moved from a window table and the cutlery, glasses and napkins hurriedly taken across. We thought that was poor.

We thought the prices were a little odd. Two of us had the £16.95 for three courses set menu; the other had a main course from the other menu which cost £14.95! The asparagus and hollandaise starter came with a poached egg - not mentioned on the menu. Just as well I hadn't ordered it as I don't like eggs. My gnocchi main course was okay, but too rich and appeared to have been sitting under a hot lamp as there sauce looked somewhat congealed. The pudding of orange and grapefruit posset was tasty, but the serving was enormous!

The waitresses were attentive - so much so that one came across to ask if everything was okay when we hadn't even had our starters delivered. The food took quite some time to come and our lunch lasted 2.5 hours which seemed quite a long time.

We wouldn't go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DJF710
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just returned after a weeks holiday at this hotel spoilt somewhat by the poor quality of the evening meals.Very limited choice and exceedingly meagre portions of poor quality.Representations on the internet prior to booking did not bear resemblance to actuality. It seems there are a number of optional menus not indicated at the time of booking many at extra cost.The hotel and facilities were satisfactory but the service was not what you expect in a four star hotel.Complaints to management were not satisfactorily answered and I would certainly not return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank john h
Waterloo Belgium
Reviewed 9 July 2014

It is without any doubt a beautiful hotel. The food was excellent and presented like real artwork. A delight for the eyes too, besides the taste. Friendly staff, our room was spacious and very clean. We stayed there for 4 nights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends