“wonderful”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have just got back from the grand hotel today 10th aug 2014 an had a wonderful time here if you want to be treated as a lady,then this is the place to come .
the food was fabulous we had cream tea with 2 warm scones a pot of jam and plenty of clotted cream not your usual scimp on the jam an cream there was plenty a pot of tea and a pot of coffee.
dinner was lovely to I had the salmon roulade followed by home made ravioli and bread an butter pud,it was all great and I sent a message to the chef to say just that.
all the staff were very polite and nothing was to much trouble.
breakfast was buffet and again didn't dissopoint.
yes the hotel is old and grand if you want a modern hotel then book one !
But this old girl ticked all the boxes for me the staff and the hotel made me feel like royalty and that's great well done the grand,cant wait to come back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew G, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your "wonderful" review. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and you felt you were treated like a lady during your stay. I have passed on your kind comments regarding your food experience whilst you were here to our kitchen team. I have also congratulated the team front of house on their professional and friendly service which they provided to you . I look forward to welcoming you back soon to be treated like royalty again.

Andrew Griffiths

Write a ReviewReviews (2,572)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

A great four day stay, from the rooms to the service; I can only say it was a wonderful stay! The outdoor pool with the presence of sunshine was better than the Med. The restaurant, food and service was excellent, in particular Liam our young, charming waiter made our stay memorable!

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your magical review. I am pleased you felt all aspects of your stay were wonderful. The outdoor pool is heated to a constant temperature and because of the high walls sheltering it from the sea breeze you certainly would feel if you were somewhere tropical on a hot summers day. Palm trees swaying in the wind and a pool bar to serve all you beverage requirements. I am glad you felt the restaurant service and food was excellent. I have just read your review to Liam and he was over the moon with your remarks. I hope you return to soon and we can make your stay memorable again.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stay at the Grand Hotel, 2 days ago.
The hotel staff were very helpful. The breakfast time was interesting, if you have something on that day, get there early !! The only thing that I would say is the hotel needs to spend some money on the outside décor ....... renovate the building to its former glory !!
We had a standard room with a sea view and I must say it was wonderful to sit on our balcony and watch the world go by.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the sea ......... Road noise average
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnaholmes

As your title suggest "Bring back the Grand into the Grand hotel". I can assure you we are doing just that. We have plans for a large investment over this autumn/winter period which includes rooms, leisure facilities and the exterior which will restore the building to its former glory. I hope you will be able to return and see the amazing changes we will be making.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Is just dated! needs a loot of work personally I think is a 3 star hotel
Good breakfast choices
Expensive for what they offer
Undersize carpark
Good pool area
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Paololuca A

The leisure facilities we have are good with an indoor and outdoor heated pool, sauna, gym and Jacuzzi. They are in need of some investment which will be undertaking this winter and will be the envy of every hotel in Torbay. We have launched a new breakfast menu across the group which has everything you would ever want from a breakfast buffet or plated service. We do have number of areas you can park your car and will even offer valet service to guests if they wish. Just ask at reception when checking in. I hope to see you back at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Where to start, booked a 'premier' room for two & our dog, had a room on the fourth floor. We had good weather and the room was like an oven, relativity small and cramped. Windows cant be opened more than a few inches, They do supply a desk fan, if you can find some where to plug it in. As we have a number of mobiles & PCs, we did bring a extension lead. The fan did little to move any air around, even a second desk fan, did not help and noise was a bit much. Speaking to a member of staff, I was told heat is an issue on the fourth floor, in hot weather.

Breakfast, no clean tables ready for people milling around looking. eventually, one cup one side plate few utensils. turned cup over to pour the tea and found it was dirty, Next day, still struggling to find tables, so were offering use of the brasserie, no better, still struggled to find us a table and told "it would be a long wait & several people had left, being fed up waiting". I ended up going for my own toast, chased the staff several times, as people, who had arrived after us, were being served. Told they just delivered all the orders at the same time, some people had arrived 20 minutes after us, so how was this right? Eventually when the food did arrive, the poached egg was solid and inedible. They did offer to change it, but by this time it was getting on for lunchtime and we wanted to get on with our life. Did not bother on the 3rd Day

That night we thought we would have a bottle of wine in the hotel, chose from the wine list and a man was dispatched to "the wine cellar". 15 minutes later he returned and told us there was none & walked off, we had actually already paid for the wine. Approached the bar manager and chose another. She went off and was also gone an age, returning with two bottles, neither the second choice. We chose one of those, because we were getting rather bored with it all.

We where given a discount on the room, as it was not up to expected standard, suspect we had a lower quality of room because we had a dog with us, although they do charge a £15 per night, extra.

Room and hotel décor getting tired.

The quality of staff varies greatly, some so helpful, they just could not do enough, others just did not care.

We have stayed in the Fowey Hotel with our dog, part of the Richardson group and it was super, expected the similar standards, disappointed.

Room Tip: not the fourth floor, like an oven in hot sunny weather, when people want to go to Torquay
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dalebradley
Reviewed 30 July 2014

myself and my wife used to visit this hotel on a weekly basis a few years ago for lunchso we thought i know why dont we try it again. both visits this year were both on a sunday first time 11am and the second about midday. well what a shock, not very busy and not very grand. i will only go on about the second visit as there are too many bad things to mention. we sat down and the waitress came over after about 15 minutes bear in mind at this point there are only 2 other table in the compass lounge and 6 staff, we ordered 2 lattes and 2 bits of cake from the display stand. the order was processed to the bar and after 15 minutes no drinks, you can see where they make the drinks as it is a central round bar in the middle of the room and you can see everything going on, staff chatting and not making my drinks, 10 further minutes and the girl comes over to tell us they dont have the latte syrup we ordered and she didnt know what ones they had so i went over to the bar to look for myself and picked caramel. 10 more minutes went buy and the lattes finally arrived and if u think only 2 other tables more staff than customers but no haste to do anything, but wait no cake so i get up and go to the bar again to ask for the cake that was ordered and it was delivered after another 10 minutes. the cake was horrid and we didnt eat it and asked for a refund. the staff were not bothered, they dont know what they are doing and prefer to chat or be on the phones texting. will never be returning again and feel annoyed like alot of others on a weekly basis. grand i dont think so

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Englishblokeuk
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have seen reviews of this hotel where people have complained about the rooms and the state of decor etc, we stayed in the Elgar Suite, which whilst some of the decor looked a bit tired and a bit dated, the rooms were nice enough and spotlessly clean, absolutely no complaints on that score. However the weather was extremely hot during our stay and the rooms were stiflingly hot, there was no air conditioning, just a couple of fans in the wardrobes which just moved the hot air around a bit, I kept closing the curtains and leaving the windows open during the day to try to keep the heat at a minimum, but the housekeeper kept opening in them again. Could do with installing some air conditioning really. We have no complaints about noise, and the beds were very comfortable. Some of the receptions staff were pleasanter than others, but you would expect that in all walks of life.
Breakfast was the best meal of the day we got here, if we got down early we were seated quickly and there was plenty of food on offer, although there was no butter or jam on our table. However the morning we got down slightly later, a lot of the hot buffet/English breakfast food was running low, and was quite slow to be replaced, but generally at breakfast time we were well fed. However we had booked for evening meals also, in the hotel restaurant and the food was expensive and very bad. The first day we had only booked our evening meal at 7pm so around 3pm we decided to order a snack from the bar menu, we were immediately given a long list of what wasn't actually available, so I eventually ordered a ham and piccalilli sandwich, and my husband ordered a bread platter with flavoured butters and olive tapenade, when the food came after probably about half an hours wait, there was no piccalilli on the ham sandwich, and the bread platter was 3 dry bread rolls on a plate, no butter or tapenade. Given that these were £8.00 not great value for money, my husband eventually got his butter, and something that resembled olives that had been chopped up with a knife, but on asking where my piccalilli was my sandwich got took back to the kitchen and returned about 15 minutes later somewhat drier (it was very hot) with the explanation there was no piccalilli but there was a small dish of plum chutney (doesn't go with ham very well) on the side, nobody asked if I wanted plum chutney instead, or did I want to change my order, it was just plonked in front of me. That evenings meal we ate in the 1887 restaurant, I ordered monkfish masala when it came it was barely lukewarm and the piece of monkfish was about 2inches square and overcooked to the point where if I'd have thrown it at the wall it would of bounced back and I could have caught it, at £28.00 even if it had been edible the size of the piece of fish would have rendered the meal a rip off. On our final night after the rather poor food we decided to eat in The Compass (bar) what a fiasco, 35 minutes after being seated we both ordered asparagus mornay for starter, it came another half our later, stone cold, and the hollandaise sauce was just a watery mess where the water with vinegar that had used to cook the poached egg was flooding the plate. Another 40 minutes later our plates were cleared, and 20 minutes later my tuna nicoise and my husbands chicken salad arrived, as did my son's (who was starving by this point) chicken goujons. The potatoes on the nicoise salad looked like they were days old, the tuna was cooked to the pint it was so dry I couldn't swallow it, and the salad was just limp, exactly the same went for my husband's chicken salad. By this point the poor waitress was mortified and couldn't apologise enough for the delays, poor quality etc etc was offering us free deserts and coffees, so I ordered cheese and biscuits which had we been paying would have cost £12.00 I got five pieces of about 1 inch square cheese that was warm and obviously not kept in the fridge, and 5 biscuits, and some more of the aforementioned plum chutney. We had planned to eat our dinner and then take a walk to nearby Cockington village, however from 7.30pm we only got away from the restaurant at almost 11pm, the restaurant manager was very apologetic and cleared our bill so there was no charge, she had also done the same for 2 other tables nearby, one woman who got her burger still in it's plastic wrapping, and another family who were sending things back left right and centre. I felt for the restaurant staff that night, the girl who served us did nothing but apologise, and we hadn't even complained.
In all the hotel was nice enough and very clean, but if you are planning on staying don't book half board, find somewhere nice to eat out where you'll be served in time to carry out any planned activities, and get value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 4th floor are very hot in hot weather, unpleasantly so, so if you suffer with the h...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family