The Grand Hotel
  • Breakfast included
US$165
US$108
  • Breakfast included
Corbyn Head Hotel(Torquay)(Great Value!)
US$233
US$127
US$118
Agoda.com
2,631 results
All reviewscompass barhotel garagesea viewstation car parkagatha christiecream teaindoor poolpublic areaslounge barsea frontsunday lunchleisure facilitiesa bit tiredsome tlcwaiting staffbiscuitsshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Well where do I start with this review.
Stayed here one night, this week don't understand how this hotel is a 4 star, we have stayed in far better 3 stars than this.
Good points, selection of food at breakfast, position of hotel on the seafront, cheery staff and we did have a nice large room overlooking the sea.
Now for the negatives and there are quite a few
Having read a lot of the reviews before we left I quite agree with what people said about the restaurant no leadership whatsoever total chaos, waiting for a table waiting for someone to take our order, waiting for our starter, again waiting for dinner, and then for desert went in at 8:15 left at 10:15 staff clearing and scraping plates on the side table, not the done thing in a four-star restaurant, we felt very sorry for the staff as they seem to be running around like headless chickens with no leadership at all, breakfast was excellent because we could help ourselves.
We used that indoor swimming pool, water was just tepid outside temperature was warmer than the water
The worst bit was the ladies changing rooms we could not have a shower as it was totally disgusting, mould all over the shower cubicle and the stench was unbelievable in the changing rooms a mixture of chloride and another terrible smell, and most definitely not clean, this was a terrible shame, as we were really looking forward to using the spa area, sadly the whole place does need a facelift very shabby paintwork carpets and arms of some of the chairs in bar area threadbare and grubby.
We most definitely won't be returning to this hotel. I suggest that people go for bed and breakfast don't book the evening meal unless you're prepared for a very very long wait

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank fisherman44
Andrew G, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time complete a review of the hotel. It shame you felt it was 3 star as what makes us 4 star is the facilities we have at the hotel and the friendly service we provide to our guests. Yes we have some issues at times, like any large business, but it is how we react which is important. All of the team are aware of the positive and negative comments we receive from guests and we are working hard as a team on the negatives to eliminate them all together. Currently we have a guest satisfaction rate of 85%. Unfortunately a high proportion of the negatives get posted on trip advisor. The leisure facilities are scheduled for a large injection of investment this winter which will include the changing facilities. I suggest this reviewer checks back next year and they will hopefully see some beautiful changes.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Four of us stayed in May 2014. We all loved it. We thought we may be disappointed, as you can often be with old icon properties. But, it was one of our trip highlights, maybe it all comes down to expectations. The hotel itself is charming and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer M

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your stay with us in May this year. I am pleased you loved your stay and found the "Grand Old Lady" one of your trip highlights. It certainly does come down to guests expectations and we definitely have a lot to live up to with the name. I hope myself and my team are up for the challenge over the next year. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was our first holiday in England for ten years and must say there were numerous issues during our stay, maybe we are used to impeccable service overseas and expected the same here in England considering the cost of the stay.

I saw in other reviews people referred to a 'Faulty Towers' experience and must say at times it was very much like that.

We stayed for 5 nights in August 2014 and my comments refer to each night as follows especially as we had booked an evening meal each night: -

Day 1 - On our first night the service was abysmal, we waited 40 minutes to get a bottle of wine and water and the whole meal took over 3 hours! I did complain after the meal at the awful service as did about a dozen other people. We contemplated cancelling dinner and eating out but this was defeating the object about being able to relax in the hotel without going out of the hotel. I must point out though that the food was excellent just very very slow service.

Day 2 & 3 - The service on these nights was excellent but was mainly due to the young duty manager who excelled in motivating his staff to provide the service expected of a four star hotel.

Day 4 - The young duty manager was not on this evening, service returned to average not as bad as Day 1 but certainly not 4 star standard. The American manager really didn't seem interested in the guests interests whatsoever.

Day 5 - We were looking forward to our last night and we thought as the young duty manager was on shift everything would be good. However the soup was off, one of the desserts had run out the wine we ordered was not available which was not the first time on this trip. After dinner I complained and I was advised the soup was off the menu as 'it didn't taste very nice' and said they didn't have anything else to replace it. How can a hotel not have any food! I did complain heavily and the manager bought my family drinks in the bar.

Breakfast Last Day - This proved challenging, first off the coffee cups were all filthy no quality control on how they had been cleaned. My wife ordered kippers and this took half an hour and I need to prompt the waitress four times, it was touch and go whether this was going to arrive before we left. The waitresses seemed more interested in chuckling between themselves rather than providing a professional service.

I must point out that the food was consistently good even if things were not always on the menu, the main complaint was about the service which was very mixed often very 'Faulty Towers'. Also a number of nights the wine we selected was not available either.

Considering the cost of the hotel I would rate the hotel no more than 3 star, the hotel is in need of renovation in and out too.

Otherwise we enjoyed our stay but someone in the management really needs to sort out the inconsistent service if it wants to attract repeat customers.

Room Tip: 1st or second floor in summer as the rooms higher up were so hot as there is no air condition.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Stephen N

Thank you for your long and informative review it gives me a great insight into the business from a guests perspective. The review has some valid points and consistency is key to our success for the future. You are only as good as you weakest team and we are working hard with in house training in bringing all the team up to the same standard. I have just restructured the restaurant team and I have brought in a new manager to help the existing team. I must disagree with your comments about our American manager whose passion is the guests satisfaction and overall enjoyment of their stay. I am not sure why you felt he had no interest in our guests. However he is aware of your review and has apologised to me personally if he gave you this impression.

I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay and felt the food was consistently good. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just come back from a four day break at The Grand Hotel. Having been there on previous occasions we noticed changes that were not for the better ie having to pay extra for coffee after our evening meal in the restaurant, no complimentary tea/coffee on arrival, inexperienced restaurant staff, drinks glasses in restaurant not cleaned properly. For an upgrade premier room we found it very small (more like a single). But we did have good weather.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barrie S

Thank you for your review after you recent stay. I am pleased you have returned to the hotel for another visit. I sincerely apologise for not meeting your standards on this occasion. I have been here for a year and coffee has always been charged after a 3 course meal. You will find this is the case in many quality hotels and restaurants. Yes we use to offer coffee on arrival everyday for guests and still do this on certain occasions. Some offers we have include a cream tea on arrival in your room rate. Therefore you may want to look out for these offers when they are available. As always we have a selection of hot beverages available in your room and we are happy to replenish with more if you require. All of our rooms are unique and furnished to a high standard. We have premier rooms which have king size or standard double beds depending on the size of the space available to us . All premier rooms are premier not only because of the furnishing but also the views. I hope to see you return again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned from another enjoyable stay @ The Grand Hotel.

As we are returning visitors I requested room 208 as this is a large nice clean room with amazing views over the bay and Torquay Promenade - which are particularly stunning in the evening.

We had no problems on our visit. My one small moan would be that on previous visits we had been allocated disabled parking in the car park - but on this occasion it wasn't done and was to told to find parking in the station - fortunately for our entire stay we had no problem finding a space - either in the station or on the road.

Breakfast was an informal affair, but again each time we went down there was ample of food and the waiters were always filling up the replenished trays. my mother ordered salmon and eggs on 2 mornings and again these were served hot and fresh.

The bar is a little pricey and have to admit to not being overly welcomed or catered for - I ended up going to the bar myself and ordered our drinks - again it was a pleasant place to have a drink especially after we had settled in and started to enjoy our holiday.

I would definitely go again - this hotel is great for wheelchair access and the walk into Torquay is a very pleasant flat walk for about 15 - 20 minutes.

Room Tip: Room 208 for a great view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank paula f

I am glad you have experienced another enjoyable stay at the hotel. We have many returning guests who have their favourite rooms and the 2nd floor seems to be very popular. We are lucky as a hotel to have such an enviable position on the seafront with some magnificent views of Torbay. Torquay certainly comes to life at night with colourful lights along the promenade. We do have a small car park at the side of the hotel in our garage. Many guests make the mistake this and the road is our only parking. This cannot be further from the truth. We have 30 red bays in the train station, marked with a "GH". During the summer months we have purchased a further 25 parking bays from the cricket club. Please always ask at reception regarding parking and they will be happy to help. We will also offer to park your car for you saving you the hassle.
I am pleased overall you enjoyed the hotel and you found it ideal for wheelchair access. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.