Do not compare to a city / business hotel. Those hotels are modern with good (standard) sized rooms, with good (but standard) decor and efficient (but without the charm this hotel exuded). This hotel oozes charm, character and fun in abundance. The staff are the hotel and (personally) I found them to be amazing - I do not think I have ever met such nice staff in a hotel
- The Staff were too good, so much character. Paul, Josh, Suly (the star of the show), Mo, the Restaurant Manager, the receptionists, the breakfast / dinner staff and all the others were just too helpful. Good characters and charming. The place was busy this weekend (weddings & birthdays all three days over the bank holiday weekend), and yet the staff were very accommodating.
- The location is the best - overlooking the coast / beach. Within 5 minutes your on the beach.
- Breakfast : (in my opinion) the offerings were fantastic. You have a choice of buffet in the main dining room, and a table service with a la carte offerings in the brasserie (in the adjacent bar area). And I found the quality of the breakfast to be superb.
- Dinner. We had dinner here one evening and found the options good. With a good selection of wines, no complaints of the quality offered and fantastic service.
- Bar snacks / bar food. Once again a very good and quality offering.
- (In my opinion) the entrance to the Grand is superb, with the bar area immediately following the reception. I would say that the bar area is amazing, overlooking the sea, nicely decorated, good vibe, good and very warm staff. With a good selection of drinks and bar food of a good standard. While there, admittedly, the bar area was buzzing, so the atmosphere was fantastic.
- Be careful of the room size you choose, even for an inland double (premier) the room size can be small. We booked two rooms and one was a decent size, but one was on the small side - so beware of this.
- The sauna / indoor swim area was very nice - well heated, the sauna was working well (not always the case in all tourist hotels), and the pool/sauna area had a very nice, intimate and warm atmosphere. But the gents changing rooms look tired and unhygienic - could do with a spruce / update. Lockers could do with a review etc. You know for the quality of the hotel - just a little attention should be paid here.
- WiFi - good that its free, but was not always the fastest, and sometimes the connection failed. In todays world, speed and efficient internet access is an important feature of good hotels.
C. In General
- Do not expect to have Hilton / Marriott level power showers & decor. For the room & the price I paid the showers were fantastic. The room I had a was a refurbished / recently updated room, and clean.
- Ask for a decent sized room
- When its busy (as it was this weekend), be patient with the staff, they were working so hard and were of their feet in trying to serve everyone (and not everyone was so polite in return). And sometimes your orders are forgotten (not often), just remind them gently - they were too good when reminded.
- The hotel is owned by Keith Richards (but not the one from the Stones!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Torquay's Historic Jewel For old world grandeur and traditional British charm, the Grand has been Torquay's landmark hotel for over 130 years. Overlooking one of the finest bays, this elegant Victorian hotel offers 132 individually styled bedrooms, The Grand spa, AA rosette restaurant 1881 and is surrounded by 22 miles of spectacular Devon coastline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Hotel Torquay, Devon