“Overall very good.”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #32 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 1 September 2014

First impressions were very good, reception & other public areas very nice. Check in not brilliant the guy was not particularly helpful or cheerful. Found we had a twin room, but wanted a double (not sure if this was my fault or the hotels) Went back to reception, saw a different chap (sorry I didn't get his name) who was very helpful & on hearing it was our wedding anniversary was able to move us to a double room with sea view. Room was spacious & spotlessly clean with lovely views but was a little tired in places. We thought the food was very ordinary for the price. Unable to use the outdoor pool as was closed, so used indoor pool which was good but changing areas need updating.
Overall we had a very enjoyable stay at The Grand.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kram61
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We spent a night here on an Amazon local deal which was good value. The hotel is looking tired in places. & is in need of a refurb. Our room 131 was spacious but dark & very hot with no outlook except a flat roof. They obviously put the people on the deals in the worst rooms ! If I had been staying for more than one night I would have asked for a move. We had no sleep as the room was hot stuffy & airless.Cream tea was lovely & evening meal & breakfast good too. Most of the staff very friendly & helpful. Outside pool was closed even though it was a lovely warm day. We did not take advantage of our late checkout because of this. Shame that this Grand hotel is no so grand now.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dizzytart1955
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Where do I start. We were 7 of us 5 adults and 2 children aged 3 and 6. We went into the hotel and it was more grand then we expected. At check in there was Anthony Young who was absolutely wonderful . I wish I could engage this person in my organisation only for the extreme patience and welcoming nature in making my family comfortable. We were given room 100 a suite and room 103 well what can I say.the views so beautiful and the grandness of the rooms was incredible. I must admit that I had read through some comments in trip adviser and was uncertain about this hotel. Well those comments were from people who have not travelled the world in hotels like I have!!. The breakfast...the dinner...the courtesy shown by EVERY member of staff was immaculate. The outside pool was heated...and so was the indoor pool where we had lots of fun. It was a pity this stay was short but I would recommend this hotel to all and just to let you know I don't work for the hotel haha...back in London now and we already planning our next trip over this autumn. Wow thank you Grand hotel Torquay ....We finally found a family hotel in u.k.

Room Tip: Room 100 ...room 103
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kam A
Andrew G, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for your excellent review after you recent stay. The rooms you stayed in have been recently refurbished as part of our structured refurbishment programme over the next 12months. I will certainly pass on your thanks to Anthony and sorry he is not available. The team at the Grand regularly get praised and are friendly and professional. I look forward to welcoming you back soon where I am sure you will be even more impressed with the changes we are working towards.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My family and I stayed at The Grand, Torquay over Bank Holiday weekend (Saturday & Sunday). Our family were very disappointed with the hotel.

On arrival we were greeted by a helpful member of staff on the Reception. Our check-in was seamless and our car was parked for us as there were no spaces on the road. All through our stay our car was brought to the door and parked again. I can't fault the staff/porters on Reception.

First impressions of the Reception and bar area were very good, clean and fairly modern. On the way to our room we noticed the corridors and stairs were very poorly decorated. The walls were scuffed and the carpets were very old, dusty and marked.

Our room was the "Agatha Christie" suite - it comprised a good sized hallway with 2 bedrooms, lounge, separate WC and bathroom with WC. We were very pleased with the size of the room however, the decor, carpets and curtains were very old, stained etc. The bed in the main room was hard and the carpet in the main room was covered in blonde hairs (I kept my slippers on the whole time in the suite!) The second bedroom was a good size with 2 single beds. Only one curtain opened, the other was stuck halfway and the net curtains kept falling down. The carpet had lumps and bumps in it and was not fitted properly. The bathroom was clean although old. The bath had a shower curtain fitted which I personally don't like as they collect germs. The lounge area was a good size and comfortable although again the carpet was very old and stained. The room had a sea view but the balcony could only be used by climbing out of the large sash windows with one sash cord broken. We paid a considerable amount of money for the suite which unfortunately was not worth it.

Evening one we ate out as we were meeting up with friends. Evening two we pre booked a table in the main restaurant through Reception. We decided to change our booking and eat in the bar restaurant however, when we arrived at 20:00 we were told there was no booking. The waitress told us to take a seat in the bar and someone would be over to take our order. Nobody arrived. We asked the same Waitress (Alison) for a menu 3 times, needless to say one didn't arrive. We asked a different waitress (Grace who was very helpful and cheerful) for a menu and she gave us one straight away. We ordered food and was told there was at least 45 minutes wait as there was a wedding on. There were several items on the menu unavailable including burgers! Not good at all. Not one member of staff came over to us so I asked for a menu. We waited for our drinks for a considerable amount of time. I am not sure why as there were several members of staff working in the bar area. We again ate in the bar area for lunch on Bank Holiday Monday. We ordered sandwiches and drinks. I counted 9 members of staff in the bar area however, our drinks took a considerable amount of time to arrive as did the sandwiches.

During our stay we decided to use the indoor pool facilities and were very disappointed at the run-down state of the whole area including the changing rooms which were dirty. The shower cubicles had considerable amounts of mould around the trims. When I looked up in the changing room all I could see was a thick layer of dust. The pool itself was ok but there were areas of ground in dirt around areas and the chair cushions were mouldy.

Breakfast was good in the main restaurant and Harry who served us was very helpful and polite. On leaving the restaurant there was a very long queue of people waiting to get into breakfast!

On the whole the hotel was very disappointing. It is such a shame for a hotel with such history and potential to be left to deteriorate in such a way which is upsetting.

In my opinion the hotel staff need considerable training and leadership and the hotel requires upgrading substantially.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Annie_P_2862

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I pleased you were greeted at reception in a professional manner and the check-in process was seamless. We do offer valet parking for the comfort of our guests so they can enjoy their break and not have the frustration of finding a space. The Agatha Christie suite is a beautiful suite which is in need of some TLC in places. We have already begun this process with more rooms being refurbished over the winter. We also have extensive plans for a full refurbishment of our leisure facilities and hope to have this completely renovated and Open Spring/Summer 2015. I can assure you the pool and leisure facilities are cleaned on a daily basis throughout the day.
I am sorry there was no booking when you arrived in the brasserie. The delay was not to do with the wedding as they had the wedding meal during the afternoon and were enjoying the disco in our function room. The delay of 45 minutes was because we had 120 residents booked in the restaurant and a further 40 booked in the brasserie. Unfortunately both restaurants are serviced from one kitchen and it was an extremely busy weekend. However there is no excuse for you having to ask for a menu 3 times or for the delays in your drinks and sandwiches on bank holiday Monday.
I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and you found harry to be very helpful and polite.
I hope you will be back again to see us soon and see the changes we are making. I would recommend suite 115 or 100 for your next visit> Although many guest comment on the character of the Agatha Christie suite.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Grand and have mixed feelings.

The main area if the hotel and restaurant are all nice, our room was quite nice but the view was awful (we didn't pay for a view so can't complain about that).

Most of the reception staff were rude and didn't know what they were doing, one member of reception mis-informed us badly about dinner reservation and told us we didn't need to reserve which was totally wrong and led to us waiting for half an hour to be seated at our table on the first night.

On both nights we were told that the restaurants were very busy due to weddings, if they can't manage both they shouldn't be doing both!

On the Sunday night a lot of things on the menu were not available, I asked for steak to be cooked well done, when it arrived it was rare, so I sent it back and shortly after I was presented with another rare steak. We were compensated and told we could have a free round of drinks at the bar. The bar staff were nice enough to point out the most expensive items on the cocktail menus, it was as if the whole thing is common and was a joke to all of the staff. Our waitress on the Sunday evening even re-assured us that the deserts are lovely because they are cooked by a different chef than the dinner :-s

The restaurant manager had a chat with us after dinner and apparently the hotel are trying to sort out some of the problems this winter, which I hope they do because there are currently lots of issues and we would like to go back if the issues were sorted.

Breakfast every day in the compass lounge was lovely.

Stayed: August 2014

I am pleased you felt the restaurant and room were nice. The majority of our rooms are sea facing and the rest have views over the cricket ground, train station and central courtyard. It is certainly worth paying to upgrade to a sea view as we have an enviable position right on the seafront. It was a busy bank holiday weekend and we had three weddings as well as a full hotel. The delay in the restaurants were not caused by our functions as they all had food during the afternoon. We did have some issues over the weekend which we are working very hard to solve. I can personally assure everyone I am doing everything to make sure we get it right and look after all our guests. We can have 280 - 300 guests in the hotel when we are full plus any function guests or non residents and have many happy returning customers. Our mission is ensure all guests have an enjoyable stay and this is what we are striving to achieve.
I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We were very pleased with our spacious room and made use of the pool and Jacuzzi! Its a good location for walking into town and there is parking included which was very welcomed! The English breakfast was not great, but if you had something of the made to order hot menu that was very nice

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah D

Thank you I am pleased you felt it was worth the stay. All our rooms are unique and have character in keeping with the iconic building which was built in 1881. We have both an indoor and outdoor heated pool with a Jacuzzi for the perfect relaxation. We are located 15 minutes walk along the promenade from the harbour with panoramic views across Torbay. We offer a buffet style cooked breakfast service in our restaurant and a more sophisticated table service in our brasserie. This is to give our guests the choice as we have listened to their feedback and some prefer buffet and some prefer table service.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Do not compare to a city / business hotel. Those hotels are modern with good (standard) sized rooms, with good (but standard) decor and efficient (but without the charm this hotel exuded). This hotel oozes charm, character and fun in abundance. The staff are the hotel and (personally) I found them to be amazing - I do not think I have ever met such nice staff in a hotel

A. +ves

- The Staff were too good, so much character. Paul, Josh, Suly (the star of the show), Mo, the Restaurant Manager, the receptionists, the breakfast / dinner staff and all the others were just too helpful. Good characters and charming. The place was busy this weekend (weddings & birthdays all three days over the bank holiday weekend), and yet the staff were very accommodating.

- The location is the best - overlooking the coast / beach. Within 5 minutes your on the beach.

- Breakfast : (in my opinion) the offerings were fantastic. You have a choice of buffet in the main dining room, and a table service with a la carte offerings in the brasserie (in the adjacent bar area). And I found the quality of the breakfast to be superb.

- Dinner. We had dinner here one evening and found the options good. With a good selection of wines, no complaints of the quality offered and fantastic service.

- Bar snacks / bar food. Once again a very good and quality offering.

- (In my opinion) the entrance to the Grand is superb, with the bar area immediately following the reception. I would say that the bar area is amazing, overlooking the sea, nicely decorated, good vibe, good and very warm staff. With a good selection of drinks and bar food of a good standard. While there, admittedly, the bar area was buzzing, so the atmosphere was fantastic.

B. -ve's

- Be careful of the room size you choose, even for an inland double (premier) the room size can be small. We booked two rooms and one was a decent size, but one was on the small side - so beware of this.

- The sauna / indoor swim area was very nice - well heated, the sauna was working well (not always the case in all tourist hotels), and the pool/sauna area had a very nice, intimate and warm atmosphere. But the gents changing rooms look tired and unhygienic - could do with a spruce / update. Lockers could do with a review etc. You know for the quality of the hotel - just a little attention should be paid here.

- WiFi - good that its free, but was not always the fastest, and sometimes the connection failed. In todays world, speed and efficient internet access is an important feature of good hotels.

C. In General

- Do not expect to have Hilton / Marriott level power showers & decor. For the room & the price I paid the showers were fantastic. The room I had a was a refurbished / recently updated room, and clean.

- Ask for a decent sized room

- When its busy (as it was this weekend), be patient with the staff, they were working so hard and were of their feet in trying to serve everyone (and not everyone was so polite in return). And sometimes your orders are forgotten (not often), just remind them gently - they were too good when reminded.

- The hotel is owned by Keith Richards (but not the one from the Stones!)

Room Tip: Ask for refurb room. Ask for a good sized room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your long and informative review . I am pleased you felt the food and service you received whilst here was fantastic for both dinner and breakfast. Wifi is free throughout the hotel but can sometimes be slow in certain areas which we are trying to solve. I am glad overall you enjoyed the stay and you noticed the team were working hard. They were all tired after a very busy weekend. Some mistakes were made but they all kept going which is commendable.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon by which time I will hope it will be super superb instead of super good.