2,813 results
All reviews compass bar hotel garage sea view train station agatha christie cream tea lounge bar public areas outdoor pool sunday lunch sea front leisure facilities some tlc bit dated waiting staff family room biscuits
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

We have used this hotel for nearly 20 years staying several times a year for short breaks. Visited 31st aug for 1 night dbandb. Wonderful as usual very efficient check in, lovely room always spotlessly clean. Service in bar can be slow at times but on this visit we were served immediately each time we used the bar. Food and menu wonderful service in restaurant fantastic as always. Friendly staff and a hotel with a lovely welcomming atmosphere. Would highly recommend - and frequently do.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2016

Dear Sue C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and noticed the improvements we have made to the service in the Compass Lounge over the last few months - you may well have noticed Richard, who has been mentioned on here many times!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

The Grand Hotel may have been 'Grand' in its day, however, it most certainly is not anymore. For the prices charged I would expect the hotel to be better maintained. The carpets and wallpaper was extremely worn. The service was extremely disappointing especially in the bar and restaurants. we was told to sit down and wait for service when we went for lunch and found ourselves waiting for nearly 40 minutes (had to ask again for service), our first drinks were bought to us after we had already finished eating lunch although were ordered at the same time and we was sitting mere feet away from the bar.
The hotel still has a lot of potential with work and maintenance put into it and some training invested in the staff.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SamNat16
SamanthasDavies, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2016

Dear SamNat16,

Thank you very much for taking the time to rite your review, although I am most disappointed to read your stay was not to the standards you expected and I do apologise for this.

We are continuingly investing in our Hotel, with recent improvements in 2 of our suits, fitting new carpets & new beds in over 15 bedrooms, improving leisure facilities and we are currently part way painting the exterior of the building.

I have taken the time to share your comments regarding service times with our food and beverage teams.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

First impression of hotel when we arrived...what a lovely place to stay...stately looking hotel very impressive..room was fantastic we had the duchess suite on the ground floor [when my husband booked he told them it was our 51st anniversary on the sunday] the restaurant was very welcoming we were greeted with warm wishes for our special day lovely meal then champagne from the hotel,lovely atmosphere, nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff,car parking was very convenient no problems.The breakfast was very good lots of choices and if anything you wanted was not there,within minutes of your request it was on your table.I would certainly suggrst if you have a special event to celebrate visit The Grand Hotel in Torquay

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are fantastic.sea view and lovely gardens
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Dear Mavis D,

I am really pleased to hear that had a really enjoyable stay with us at the Grand.

We pride ourselves with great customer service and I am glad we were able to make your 51st wedding anniversary a special treat.

Thanks again

Reviewed 31 August 2016

Lauren, the wedding coordinator was amazing, everything went as smooth as silk under her guidance. Everyone had their meals on time with no mix ups. She was so helpful and unobtrusive on our special day

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family

Dear Ann E,

Thank you very much for this lovely review. I am glad Lauren made your day go smoothly. I have passed it on to her and she was really pleased to hear the comments.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Grand again soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2016

On arriving at the hotel we were instantly unimpressed, having been told there was a large car park we could use, we drove around for over 40 minutes looking for a space. On entering the hotel we found it was clean and staff were friendly and it looked pleasant. The walk to our room showed how dated the hotel was, it needs decorating and updating to ensure it lives up to his name.
We entered our room and me and my fiance just looked at each other and were left speechless. Never before have I stayed in a hotel where the double bed is pushed up against the wall. The room was very small and was difficult to move around. We could hear the people above us walking around as very creaky floor boards and I was woken up by the people next door to us at 6am talking to each other. (Not what you want when you're on holiday).
The shower above the bath was useless. Neither of us could shower properly as there was very little water or pressure. There is no way I would have been able to wash my hair as it was just dripping water.
Our view also wasn't anything to talk about, we looked out to nothing. It had an area where other guests clothes had been thrown out of windows and just left there. Not something we were impressed with by any means.
Fortunately we didn't eat our evening meal in the hotel as the breakfast was nothing to write home about. In fact, we ended up eating very little and buying breakfast elsewhere.
We were so disappointed in our stay and if we had booked to stay more than one night we definitely would have left and found somewhere else. We definitely think the amount we paid was way overpriced. We stayed in a Wetherspoons hotel in Cornwall the night before, paid half the price and it was pure luxury.
So disappointed especially as it shows as a 4 star hotel and it called 'The Grand'. There was nothing grand about our room or our stay.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank siandenning

Dear siandenning,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your stay at The Grand.

I am disappointed to read that you found the hotel not to be satisfactory. We have over 80 car parking spaces that are allocated to the hotel, from the garage, the unreserved parking on the road outside the hotel to the reserved parking in the train station. I have checked our records and there is nothing to our knowledge of any issues regarding this we always urge guests to inform a member of the management so we can deal with these things at the time.

We do appreciate all feedback received and I have taken the time to share your comments to our teams.

Kind regards