“Disappointing”

Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

I had never stayed in a 4-star hotel before, and was greatly looking forward to it. I'd paid extra for a sea view, and had phoned ahead to say I'd be arriving early (normally, you can't book in until 3 pm, which to my mind is very late: I arrived by train at 11.30). When I arrived, my room wasn't ready and I had to wait in the bar. Although I was given a complimentary cup of tea, I got very bored and frustrated, and had to wait over an hour for a room. When I was given my key, I found they'd allocated me a room at the back overlooking the station. I asked for it to be changed, and the receptionist asked to see my booking email as if she didn't believe I was entitled to a room with a sea view. I had to ask to see the manager to get it sorted out, and by that time I was really fed up and I didn't have time to try out the pool. I went to the Winter Carnival, which was good, but the town is quite a walk from the Hotel. Back at the hotel, there was supposed to be a turn-down service for the beds, which didn't materialise. The heating seemed to be on only between about 6 and 10 pm. Breakfast was ok, but was a buffet with no trays! Perhaps so you couldn't take too much? There was no top-up water for my single small pot of tea. The toast was barely warm and the butter hard and cold. The bacon and sausages were fatty and inedible. Though a fantastic building, it definitely wasn't a 4-star Hotel, and I was very very disappointed, and would never go there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Peter W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2010

I've lived in Torbay for most of my life and had to return for a family event and needed somewhere to stay. My wife found a very good price for Bed & Breakfast for a Sunday night at the Grand and we headed south to Torquay.

Having visited this hotel many times for social functions it was a real treat to stay here for the first time ever. It really was classy, with a heavy emphasis on the Art Deco period (linked to their favourite patron - Agatha Christie).

The room was comfortable and quiet. We even had a (small) sea view if you looked right!. The pool, sauna and jacuzzi were a great way to relax and well worth the trip downstairs.

The Breakfast can be described as epic; could be the best hotel Breakfast this year, and certainly the best setting. Sea views and Christmas decorations.

We will definately return.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

A very plush hotel, albeit slightly pricey. The rooms were great, extremely comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel had free parking. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CherCheal
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

We've stayed in The Grand in Torquay several times over the years and it has always been pleasurable. This visit was to combine seeing John Bishop at the Princess Theatre so it was for one night only and the first time we couldn't have dinner in the hotel restaurant as the show started at eight. But we know from our previous visits that the food is excellent in the restaurant and we would rather eat there than go into town.

We arrived at lunchtime, parked in the hotel garage and reception was friendly and efficient. Our room wasn't ready so reception took our luggage, gave us our room key while we had a light lunch in The Compass Lounge Bar. It was a clear, sunny day and eating lunch overlooking the beautiful bay made us feel good and relaxed and again excellent service.

Our room was ready by 2.30. It was a basic double, freshly painted, clean and warm. Small but had every necessary facility including two armchairs, a table, flat screen TV, bedside tables and good lighting. A small dressing room with plenty of clothes storage and tea and coffee making tray-plus a kettle that actually fitted under the bathroom taps for filling! The shower and bath were good, as were the towels and the complimentary toiletries.

We had a good walk around Torquay in the afternoon then back to The Grand for a late afternoon tea. Great scones.

We arrived back from the show at 10.30pm and were able to order sandwiches and a drink in The Compass Bar as we'd missed dinner.

I have mixed feelings about sleeping in a bed with old fashioned sheets and blankets, eiderdowns and counterpanes. It took me back to childhood and overall I do prefer a lovely squishy duvet. But we slept well after a busy day. The Turn-Back housekeeping service is again old fashioned, offered between 7.00pm and 9.00pm. Nightwear laid out, sheets and blankets turned back with a chocolate on your pillow. But this fits with the style and ethos of The Grand and I like this tradition.

The history of The Grand is interesting too and we should be thankful that the current owners work so hard to maintain and improve the original art-deco features as I understand a previous owner totally modernised the hotel in the 1970s and it must be a labour of love to restore it to it's former glory. Staying here makes me want to wear a Frock, Scent and a Cloche Hat with a feather in it.

The Buffet Breakfast was again traditional with decent sausages and polite and friendly service.

The pricing policy needs careful study. We booked months ago for one midweek night B & B with no dinner and paid £74.00 with a view overlooking the adjacent railway station. Didn't hear or see any trains though. Talking to another guest who'd booked the day before they'd paid £64.00 for a double with a sea view and a balcony.

But we've paid far more than that for a room over a pub so The Grand is excellent value as it has indoor and outdoor pools, a gym, beauty salon and a library.

The atmosphere in The Grand is very relaxing. All the hotel staff are friendly and there is an air of peace and the guest feels special.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank notasocialworker
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

Having just returned from our first stay at the Grand I am writing my first review ever.
We have stayed in all sorts of hotels around the world ranging from premier inns to 5 and 6 star hotels. Never before have we come across a ruling in a hotel that the heating on comes on after 6pm. We must have checked in on the coldest day of the year and on enquiring why the radiators were not working were informed that the heating only comes on at 6 o'clock. Had to beg for a heater as the room was so cold. Other than that the room was big and airy, all be it faded elegence decor. Perhaps a smaller room would have been warmer. Turn down service was welcome and reception staff attentive. The other down side was that on ordering drinks in the bar the waiter tipped the drinks all over us and except for throwing a tea towel at us to clean it up ourselves, did not apologise for the mishap. Awaiting dry cleaning bill to forward onto the management of the Grand. Hopefully manager Joshua Randall will sort out bill so that we feel able to try our luck again at the Grand in the near future.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vee50

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Merseyside, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

I've been a national magazine restaurant and hotels reviewer in my past, and tend to be cynical about standards and real life experiences. But in this case I have to be quite overwhelmed by the professionalism and friendliness and absolute joy in staying in this hotel as a single female business traveller. The room itself was perfect - clean, cared-for, and small (as a single) but perfectly formed.

I was out to inspect whether the hotel could adequately cope with a conference we were intending to promote, and I had three other venues to see. I didn't bother to see any of the others. I booked secretly on Late Rooms, and got a single room at £19. The breakfast was worth that. The room itself was perfect - clean, cared-for, and small (as a single) but perfectly formed.

The staff, without exception, were informal, friendly. kind, helpful and genuine. Believe me I've been in some of the best, which turned out to be rubbish.

On my second morning, I witnessed, although this wasn't arranged or pre-empted, a conference. I was struck by the complete professionalism of the hotel team.

As a guest, I was treated as a friend . As a professional, although no one knew this, I was impressed beyond belief. I'd imagined this hotel to be slightly tatty, judging from some of the online reviews. It was nothing of the kind. It was exceptional in every respect.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Drbeaj
Peter W, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2016
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

I stayed at the Grand Hotel for 2 nights in November 2010. I found the standard of service generally very good - friendly and efficient. This was particularly apparent when my elderly mother, who was staying with me requested a change of room so that it was closer to mine. The request was dealt with quickly and efficiently.
The rooms were comfortable, very clean and well laid out.

• Stayed November 2010