“good fish n chips”

Drake's Fish & Chip Shop
Ranked #90 of 353 Restaurants in Torquay
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: REGIONAL FINALIST FOR THE NATIONAL FISH & CHIP AWARDS - that means that we're in the top 3 fish and chip shops covering Cornwall, Devon & Dorset.... Wow!!! Also voted Local's Best Fish & Chips!!! All food is cooked to order and served both hot and fresh. Offering fish, burgers, pies etc to eat in or take away. Inexpensive food, yet still delicious, so you can keep coming without worrying about the cost! Conveniently located behind Babbacombe Downs with car park close by. Been established for over 30 years. GLUTEN FREE BATTER OPTION AVAILABLE 5PM TO 9PM ON MON & TUE (SORRY NOT BANK HOLIDAYS).
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Wanting traditional fish and chips on holiday, we dropped in here on a cold rainy Sunday. We were all happy with our food, the fish seemed fresh and well cooked. We ordered quickly and it wasn't until after ordering my husband noted a sign near the fryers saying you could choose your batter, the way it is cooked and if you want skin off the fish. A great idea, pity it wasn't clear on the menu or communicated by the waitress. The cafe surroundings were very nice but freezing cold, could have done with some heating.Overall, it was a good little cafe for a relativly inexpensive lunch.

Valerie B, Manager at Drake's Fish & Chip Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your review and for your good comments about the quality of our food. The signs we have by the fryers indicate that on Monday and Tuesday evenings we offer a gluten free batter option for those people requiring a gluten free diet. This option is available on those two evenings as tradtionally they are the quietest, so it would not have been offered to you on a busy Sunday lunchtime. He also would have seen the sign stating that your fish can be cooked "naked" which means we will bake it in our turbo chef oven with oil and herbs - the skin would still be on the fish. I do apologise that this option was not suggested to you at the time you ordered and I have spoken to the waitress concerned to remind her of this.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my comment. It's a shame that you choose not to accept the fact that what was stated was true - I believe the young lady is you're daughter? Looking at all of your comments to all negative feedback, it's apparent that clearly all responses given deny any acceptance that customers could in fact be taking the time to tell the truth. Whilst accepting the fact you were indeed busy, the pressure was clearly something that could be managed better and as you refuse to accept that any huffing occured I rest my case that you are indeed blind sighted that all of us reviewers are liars and you are indeed perfect. Ignoring people's gestures at an apology from the customers end is sheer bad maners and perhaps you should observe closer. You food is excellent I might add and your young fryers work extremely hard indeed - no easy task I'm sure. I won't reply again - I felt that this was necessary.

1  Thank zesty3k .
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This isn't the first time the staff attitude here has been disgusting but not one to be deterred i thought we'd give them the benefit of the doubt with it being one of the only places to cater for gluten free on two nights of the week.

so order food for takeaway...its busy in the restaurant and there are 3 ppl in the queue ahead of us waiting for their orders...some of our food comes out smartish and sits under the hot plate for 25mins whilst waiting on the rest of the order. I ask for some of the food to be cooked freshly again (the now 40min kept warm food) when the rest of the order is ready. Under protest the young girl huffs in disgust and cracks on. When we come to have the complete order my misses apologies for asking for fresh food and all we get is another huff not a word. LAST TIME WE WILL BE GOING HERE! GOTO CRUSOES IN THE WILLOWS! THEY APPRECIATE YOUR CUSTOM AND ARE HAPPY TO HELP!

1  Thank Zesty2k
Valerie B, Manager at Drake's Fish & Chip Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

At Drakes we welcome comments, both the vast amount of complimentary ones and the odd one that's not so good, as we are always striving to improve service. I have read your comments and although I disagree with the length of time that you were kept waiting I do agree that we were very busy at the time you placed your order (as indeed we are most evenings). As you are aware the gluten free food does take a lot longer to prepare as it is a very labour intensive process to avoid any cross-contamination. I have investigated this event and with hindsight, it would seem that the young fryer could have waited a few more minutes before putting your scampi and mushrooms in the hot oil while he waited for the gluten free fish and chips to be cooked. The comments about huffing teenagers is quite untrue as I was aware that my daughter was explaining the lengthy gluten free cooking process to you and did not huff or be discourteous at anytime, so I feel those additional comments were untrue and totally unnecessary. It is a shame that you won't be returning to the shop, but we shall carry on regardless striving to give both our gluten and non gluten eating customers the best service possible.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Great cod, chips and mushy peas. Ate in the restaurant, service was great, portions plenty large enough and great value. Much better than Hanburys up the road.

Valerie B, Manager at Drake's Fish & Chip Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We do appreciate that you took the time to review Drakes and that your comments were so positive

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Their fish and chips were just as good as Hanbury's, and a bit less in cost. We picked up our fish and chips and ate them happily, in the sunshine, on a bench Babbacombe commons, overlooking the sea!

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted that you enjoyed everything and look forward to your return