“Highs & Lows”

Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Highs & Lows”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This is an old fashioned hotel but for Torquay it fits in well. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The first room we had was in total need to refurb and was in no way suitable for our needs. They then moved us to a newly refurbished room with a view over the gardens which was just lovely. Very peaceful very quiet, our family also had both suites which her beautifully decorated and presented. All very clean. Restaurant and room service also very good. Very laid back and quiet and the grounds are just wonderful. Pool facilities are also excellent. Some areas yes need updating but if you look at the sheer size of the hotel its not going to happen overnight and it is clear that this process has already started. At the time we were the only family with a toddler in the hotel! They made a great fuss of her and went to extra lengths to accommodate her routine and make us comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the garden, lovely views and nice and quiet. Personally I would also ask f...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Antonia G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I've just got home sunday 17th june from a weekend away at the palace hotel in torquay and to say I was immpressed is an understatement.As I've titled this review the service is reall from a time in the past where there were no galse have a nice day sir but genuine pleasantness from the staff at every juncture during the weekend stay.Mentioning staff I'm meaning there were staff at every point you looked and all so helpful it was almost hard to believe.I was at a football function (the southern league AGM) and on the saturday night I decided to retire just after the long dinner with speeches etc only to be woken up by the band which was directly below my room--I stuck it for 10 minutes and decided I wasnt getting back to sleep and called reception whereby they moved me immediately to another room the other side of the hotel with no fuss at all.I 'm not sure how much it cost but approx £90 per room for just me with brekky and full evening meal .The food at every sitting was superb and so much even big eaters found it difficult to cope.The decor of the hotel which by the way is 4 star is very 1940's and fabulous to see.All in all I'd recomend it with glowing colours.----------------Keep it up palace I loved--BH

Room Tip: Definately ask for a room not above the dance room where a DJ or band could be playing.The rooms on...
2 Thank leafpeeper-supreme
London
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This hotel looks nice from the outside but inside its in need of a total refurbishment. Lucky for us we were only there for one night, we ordered a double room and it was two singles pushed together, the room looked like it was made up and cleaned in the 40s. Having said that the staff we very good.

Room Tip: Dont book this hotel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

No wifi in the hotel rooms, there is a writing room that you can connect to for FREE on your laptop.

The electric went in my room twice during our 2 night stay. The second time it happened I woke up at 1am and the lights wouldn't work, I called reception to advise, I heard the night porter banging through the hotel, he then jumped up on a radiator that was attached to my friends room and flicked the fuse for about 5 minutes, this woke my friend up & she said the lights in her room were going on & off. The porter then proceeded to say it was my fault they had gone off, he came into my room & unplugged everything but the lights still wouldn't stay on. I then had no lights or electricity for the rest of my stay. When I complained at reception I was given 2 free internet cards that didn't work & I could connect for free on my laptop anyway.

The shower had a weak flow & wasn't very warm.

The only good thing about the hotel was the breakfast. There was a huge selection & they served fresh omelettes to order.

2 Thank Yemm

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Bristol,England
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night. A bit disappointed as the rooms were very dated.
The Bathroom had rubbish left in the bin from the previous occupents and bathroom hadnt been cleaned. We were there for a function so we could have done with an iron and ironing board which wasnt supplied. The grounds of the hotel
are very pretty and well maintained. I have to say the staff werent all that helpfull either. Wouldnt stay here again. we did stay on the friday night at the "Osbourne hotel" which i really couldnt fault.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 6278rosalyn
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My wife and I booked the hotel from the positive reviews we had seen on the internet and believed from their website we were staying in a top class hotel - how wrong were we!

On arrival we were given keys to a room which was already occupied by guests and were quickly moved to another room which was tiny and everything was worn out. The bed featured a wooden headboard with a radio cassette player built into it - very early 80's!! The bed itself was at a jaunty angle and there were broken biscuits all over the floor. Also we could clearly hear next door's TV through the wall and their TV was not turned up just very thin walls. When we returned to reception we were told there were no other rooms and that they could arrange to clean the room.
Taking into consideration the quality of the Hotel generally being poor and the communal areas having a care home feel to them we decided not to stay which really put us out considering it was aback holiday weekend.

I would also say the location of this hotel is not the best, It is probably the best part of a mile outside Torquay at the top of a winding hill with no sea views.

I can only conclude the reviews that are dotted around the internet singing this hotels praises are not genuine or the people hard of sight.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adz13091982
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel after being taken in with its four star rating and boasts of being 'prestigious'. How disappointed I was!! The food and staff could not have been better but the rooms were very tired and poorly maintained. The yellowing travel kettle had bare wires, the wardrobe door had a broken hinge and wouldn't shut, the wooden curtain pole had obviuosly snapped in the middle and was held together by a metal plate and a couple of screws, the sink plug didn't fit and the TV and hairdryer looked like they had come out of a skip. Also the corridors had a musty smell and the carpets were worn. How it got it's four star rating I will never know. Would I stay there again? Never in a million years!

Room Tip: The garden view rooms seem to be bigger although still dated,
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lorraine B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
The Imperial Torquay
#12 of 87 in Torquay
Lincombe Hall Hotel
Lincombe Hall Hotel
#10 of 87 in Torquay

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!