“Birthday visit success”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #51 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Where to take a family of 16 for Grandad's birthday (the last family celebration was a week's cruise) We have stayed in Torquay previously and vaguely remembered being told about this hotel. From the moment I enquired about various rooms (very varied requirements) the staff could not have been more helpful and this continued throughout our stay. Including 2 friends turning up to be added to our party - no problem at all.

I really cannot compliment the staff and the ambiance of the hotel enough. The restaurant staff were superb - we took 2 small children in after 7pm and nothing was said - and their special meal was excellent. The pianist even came back in at 9.30pm to play 'happy birthday' to grandad and the cake and coffee was served in the ballroom. Brilliant. Also 2 nights musical entertainment. The food was absolutely superb, especially the Cream Teas, which must be the best in Devon.

The service and friendliness of the staff was 5* I must mention Tommy and his enthusiasm, but he was not alone in helping to make our stay so enjoyable.

The hotel has so many facilities in comparison with other hotels - to suit any age group from the childrens' play place to golf, tennis, snooker etc., and an indoor and outdoor pools. I did read a review about dirty pool areas - well not when we were there last weekend!! The grounds and gardens are superb. There is no shabbiness to speak of in the numerous public rooms, they are so spacious, comfortable and varied. The Olympics were still on - a special room with a large TV supplied.

Now the accommodation subject. Be aware there are some shortcomings in some of the rooms and the staff will tell you they are quite aware of the fact - but apparently re-furbishment of the rooms is gradually taking place. We had a garden room, very nice and beautifully clean. However, our friends, who turned up unexpectantly, did have trouble with the door lock and a bit of plaster fell off the ceiling. But it wasn't a real problem - they just laughed. Perhaps we ignored some things, which others made a fuss about, because we were having such a lovely time, with so much to do, with such nice guests and staff. I don't think we could have had a more enjoyable time even if we had been in a 5* hotel.

Would I stay at The Palace again? Yes.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Stayed here for a few nights recently with our son and had a lovely time. The hotel is very traditional so makes for a lovely change to the usual bland new hotels popping up all over the place. The lobby and public areas are well kept and clean, The food and service was also exceptional and most of the staff at-tentative and helpful. The downsides are primarily related to the bedroom but let me point out that we were happy with the room itself together with its furniture, although the bed seriously needs renewing as blankets were used to soften the mattress as its obviously seen better days. The pillows were also rather shocking as were flat, floppy and hard. We have been a lot of 4* hotels and this one just had no Wow factor in the bedrooms, even for a standard room there was nothing 4 star about it and made it no better than a 2 or 3 star hotel. The bedspread has also seen better days and was faded and i would suggest either a wooden headboard or a faux leather one in place of the padded one as they collect dust mites and all sorts so not the best for allergy sufferers etc. . The window curtains were new ring topped one's which were nice and fresh but didn't match the bed linen. The next problem was the bathroom which was very dated and didn't match the newly decorated bedroom. The shower was fixed to the wall and was very low so we all had to crouch down in order to wash our hair, this we found quite unbelievable as well as annoying. Cleanliness could also be improved upon and management should take the time out every week if not everyday to check this. Dust was on top of the wardrobes as well as the headboard and around the taps in the bathrooms. Cleanliness should always be top of the list. Overall we had a great stay and spent time both outside the hotel visiting Torquay's local attractions as well as enjoying some of the hotels own activities like swimming and the evening entertainment. We would be more than happy to stay again as long as we got a good price as the listed prices did not mirror the quality of one's bedroom.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank appleby10
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Stayed here from 28th of July to the 4th of August. we paid extra for a superior room with lovely views of the gardens and outdoor pool. Our room was quite spacious with a great variety of tea and coffee facilities, even a selection of biscuits! The breakfast menu was lovely, a great variety of fruits, cereals, full english breakfast and continental options. You also have the option to order additional items off the menu, such as fish or freshly cooked omelette. The food served in the evening was also superb, and presented stunningly. My only dissapointment was with the dessert options available, we really wanted a dessert with custard and there was nothing - we got board of icecream everyday.
My husband also had the misfortune of being burnt by one of the waiters who was serving us, the lad dropped sauce on his hand, my husband joked about it and said "should I take for cover" we don't like to complain, but he should have at least said sorry but instead he had the nerve to laugh! On a couple of occasions we were made to feel uncomfortable in the dining room for not ordering drinks with our meal - it became a bit of a 'joke' for one of the waiters who would say "your not ordering tonight are you" and laugh, I am heavily pregnant so obviously not drinking and my husband didn't want to drink beer with his meal as it gives him indegestion (he's not a wine drinker) we were made to feel uncomfortable or like we need to buy alcohol to fit in, and we were also made to feel that we had to explain our reasons for not ordering drinks.

This is really isn't a place to take young children, be prepared for dirty looks. I felt awful for a couple with a young family that sat near to us they had 2 children one about 18months - 2 years the other about 4/5, the younger child got a bit upset, as babies do and some of the guests were tutting and making comments about them 'controlling' their children - the poor father took the baby elsewhere and the mother ate tea with the other child, just a shame that they were unable to eat together due to the rudeness of the other guests.

The shower situation was also not good, on a couple of occasions we had no water coming through the hot water tap, we were told by maintainance ( who came to our room very quickly) that its due to everyone using the water at the same time the water tanks cant cope when the hotel is full! This is something that needs to be addressed, we have stayed in many large hotels in England and overseas and never experienced this anywhere else.

We had fab weather so didn't tend to stay around the hotel, Torquay is a lovely place with lots to do and see. I would recommend going to the war battery at brixham, the gentlemen that run this place are fantastic, and share some really interesting war time stories and you are able to handle the equipment and guns and try on clothing! I must also add that that it is free to go.

Beware that the maids also walk into your room - we even put the do not disturb sign on the door (the otherside says room free for cleaning) and she still walked in on us without knocking, and the TV was on this caused my husband a bit of embaressment as he was getting dressed!

The hotel is quite a walk from any of the towns, however there is a bus stop right outside the hotel and the number 32 goes to torquay. We walked to most places we visited and then caught the bus back or drove to brixham.

Positives
Gardens and food

negatives
maids need to knock before entering - or notice the do not disturb sign on the door as the maid walked in while my husband was getting dressed.
shower/bath - hot water not great
didn't get the paper as ordered for 2 days of our stay - then found out at reception that there are usually papers for guests to read in the lounge - then why sell them if we can read them for free? Cups in our room not changed daily just rinsed out. Couldnt open one of the windows - just slid back down shut - and it was quite hot.

Not really value for money considering we payed £1264 for bed breakfast and evening meals - cheaper all inclusive options elsewhere. Not suitable for families with young children and aimed at older people as other reviewers stated.

Nice place but wont be back with child!

Room Tip: from what I could gather from other guests, its worth paying extra for a superior room with garden v...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife and I, plus on many occasions my family have stayed for many years at the Palace.

It is a wonderful traditional English hotel

I do not believe the recent two bad reviews. The incredible english is highly suspicious. I do not believe a non golfer went on the course and was only slightly over par!

I do not believe the comments about the food. A new chef supposedly caused cold food. Are they trying to suggest one person prepares all the food? I do not believe they stayed at the Palace, nor that they paid £120 per person per night. Check this out Tripadvisor

Room Tip: Pay extra for a garden room. Ask for one of the recently refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank braithwaite12
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Palace website looks incredibly promising. 2 swimming pools, a championship golf course, squash and tennis courts, not to mention elegant decor, spacious rooms and a credible restaurant. How misleading can a site be? The golf course was championship in the 1950s and is such a short course, that I, a non golfer, finished only slightly above par. the indoor pool was built in 1978 & hasnt been refurbished since. the rooms were hideous complete with wallpaper ceilings and plastic stools in the bath. I've used better over bath showers in caravans!!!! The tv was an old bubbleback tv no bigger than 14inches! The decor throughout matched the clientele (outdated and old). Clearly the owners have never reinvested profits in to the hotel and they rely heavily on an ageing customer. We were due to stay 5 nights but left after 1 & we only stayed the first night so we didn't loose our deposit. this hotel, given the right level of investment could be stunning, but in its current state i wouldn't recommend anyone pay £120 a night to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank felicity1977
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My new husband and I recently chose the Palace Hotel Torquay as the venue for our wedding - both the civil ceremony and the Reception. From the moment I first went for an informal look around, I can not fault the service, attention to detail, friendliness, helpfulness and thoughtfulness of all of the staff. From the lounge waiter to the Receptionist, from the Wedding Co-ordinator to the Operations Manager (and all of the bar, restaurant and other staff we came into contact with) I - and then we - experienced our dream wedding. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kerry H
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have to say that this Hotel is outdated. I know people rave about it but is not all that. The staff so not care and just look like they cant wait to leave. The food. Well the food is some thing i just dont get. We had a young girl called Jasmine serve us and though she was very nice and helpful. The food is out dated. £25 for a steak and that rump. No chance. There not much choice on the dinner menu and if you dont liike it. Well you dont have a choice. Most places these day's, The food is plated but here. It come out in little trays and they siver serve the food. (Thanks for the water like gravy on my jeans). It was cold and bland. No taste. The manager ask if we where ok and said the veg was cold and he said they had a new chef just started. Funny that as some one else had put that to in there review. The food went back and we got new food btu again the same problem. In the end we went to town. There are many places 100% better than this hotel in food wise. The room is outdated and the curtins smell bad. The bed where two single put together and the sheets and the room where not clean. We had to get some one to come and clean it while we watch as there where no other rooms to hand so they said but very unhelpful. We never stay at this hotel again and If ever back in torquay for a break with the family. We find some where else. Enjoy if you if you love the 1940's but if not. Find some where else.

Room Tip: None but if you do. Ask for a room away form the main road or you never get sleep
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Hiltonman1974
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
The Imperial Torquay
#25 of 86 in Torquay
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#12 of 86 in Torquay

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!