“Old Style Hotel: but it must be doing something right”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #53 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Old Style Hotel: but it must be doing something right”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I am fascinated to see so many reviews good and bad, and I expect all of them are true. We all have different expectations, but what comparisons do we have? There would be few modern decent sized hotels in any seaside resort in Britain, and to update existing ones when so many people travel to sunnier climates, becomes more difficult if prices have to be cut to attract guests.

I have stayed at the Palace three times this year for a total of 14 nights dinner B & B, twice with poor single rooms overlooking the carpark, and once in a double room overlooking the rear garden. The bathrooms in all three need to be upgraded, but I've been told this is slowly happening throughout the hotel.

Nothing is modern about this hotel, but it isn't advertised as such. Nevertheless work needs to be carried out on windows, doorlocks (even the old Imperial Hotel has swipe cards), modern TV sets, and of course the bathrooms.

Some might say the hotel is tired looking, and they would be right, as are other 4 star hotels in
Torquay, it is a malady I've also experienced in Eastbourne hotels.

The hotel's public rooms are of the grand old style, and they are comfortable to use. They enable the hotel to feel like warm gloves on a cold day. I've seen criticism that it is a place for old people, yet I have seen many families, and played table tennis a number of times with some of them.

I had no fault with staff, through from reception to the dining room and housekeeping, and during my second longest visit when I was unwell, they cared for me wonderfully.

The extensive gardens are magnificent, and through the lawns and woodland walk there is access to Ansteys Cove and other coastal beauty spots.

Finally there is the food. I had only one dinner not to my liking (the steak being underdone), and it was replaced with an entirely different meal of my choice. Otherwise the 4-course dinners were well presented, and there was a big and adequate choice of hot and cold for breakfast.

I agree that the front of the hotel which faces Babbacombe Road looks less than inviting compared with the garden image on the hotel's website, but walk through the front door and gain your own impression. I am someone who sees negatives rather than positives, yet I have stayed at the Palace three times this year. It must be doing something right.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank snapapic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

We visited this hotel last weekend and although the weather was terrible we had a great time.
The hotel staff are all very helpful and friendly and the food was lovely. The public areas have beautiful Christmas trees and decorations. There is a very nice indoor swimming pool and sauna.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan A
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

This hotel has the most tastefully decorated public rooms and the ambiance is warm and welcoming. The staff are polite, professional and very helpful. The meals are well presented, plentiful and well cooked with a good choice. We stayed in the cheapest room and my only criticism is that the bed was old and uncomfortable and needed renewing otherwise the rooms were ok with lots of hot water. Next time I would upgrade to a better room. We stayed for 3 nights on their offer of pay for 2 nights and get 1 free and we thought this very good value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor not 1st floor
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DevonHousewife
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Congratulations all in the Palace team. Awfull weather but smiling helpful staff. Our visit last weekend was great. If any thing we believe the food was even better than on our many previous visits. I don't know whether you have a new breakfast chef but the range of fresh fruit on the new stands etc was brilliant. At long last after nearly thirty years of moaning we got a large plate for our cooked meal in the morning. We both enjoyed seeing all the extra functions, especially the youngsters for their Winter Ball. It was the first time we saw the Christmas decorations at the Palce. Spectacular!

Room Tip: We like paying the extra for a garden view room. No 102 is our favourite
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank braithwaite12
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Seen better days. Needs good clean up/decoration.
Staff pleasant enough but really cant compete with the newer/smarter hotels.
Bedrooms large/cold and tired decoration/furniture. Bathroom- needs complete refurb- the shower was a nightmare - hot/cold- quickest shower I have ever had.
Food okay but limited choice and rather bland.
Would not return unless lot cheaper.

Room Tip: Take some pyjama's you may feel cold overnight!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank richard980
St Austell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Just returned from a 3 day dinner b & b break at The Palace Hotel. Pleasantly surprised! Large hotel, clean and tidy. Staff all very friendly, helpful and professional. Our bedroom was a decent size, included everything you'd need, but rather 'tired'. Small TV, nearly useless hairdryer (take your own!) and rooms very hot. We turned the heating right down on arrival and opened the window, but still too warm. We mentioned this on departure, but apparently people had been complaining it was cold!! Food, particularly evening dinner, was superb - couldn't fault it. Plenty of choice for breakfast and attentive service. The menu for evening dinner had plenty of choice and the food was delicious. We were rather reticent when we booked about the evening meals in particular, but needn't have worried. Although the entire time we were there it poured with rain, there was enough for us to do/see in the area, even though some local attractions were shut for the winter. Quite a good selection of shops in Torquay. The hotel is on the no 32 bus route - walking into Torquay town centre takes about 25 mins, downhill, so good idea to walk there and take the bus back. This hotel really did provide a comfortable affordable break. Would certainly consider staying there again and would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin S
Tewkesbury
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I have done previous reviews of the Palace and as a regular visitor to Torquay I accept that this tardis of a hotel is in need of vast sums of money being spent on it. The last time I stayed at the hotel my room was dirty, on this visit to Torquay I decided to part company from the Palace and move to the Imperial ( Excellent) but as they could only manage to accommodate us for six of the nine nights we called in at the Palace told them that on the previous occasion our room was dirty and if we booked could they promise a clean room. Promise made we booked.
I was put in the same room as my previous visit. I do not think the bed had be pulled out in years - thick dust and a mass of what looked like spilt cream - filthy net curtains - dust on the chairs - dust all around the skirting boards - dirty loo brush - cobwebs on the walls and ceiling.
Bed knackered, pillows like cardboard - grubby looking dark brown blankets - top of the wardrobe thick with dust - 2 bathrooms one with bath and sink (cold tap does not work ) the other with an antiquated shower which scolds you or freezes you. A truly miserable weekend saved only but the good standard of food. This hotel is not worthy of its AA 4 star status and is probably more like 2 star for rooms & 3 for other services. It is quite apparent that the management take no notice of reviews on this site - so its now time to challange th AA and its rating

Room Tip: Go to the Imperial or the Grand
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank foodlover079

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
The Imperial Hotel
BEST WESTERN Livermead Cliff Hotel
Lincombe Hall Hotel
Lincombe Hall Hotel
#9 of 89 in Torquay

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!