“Excellent!”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 26 September 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Palace and I just had to write and say what an enjoyable time we had at the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were extremely polite and went out of their way to make sure we had a relaxing break.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Palace Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2008

We stayed at the Palace to celebrate out 21st Wedding Anniversary over the Aug Bank holiday. It was a great price at £64.00 DBB per person. We were not disapointed with our basic room although a little tired and need of refurbishment it was clean and adequate for our needs. we over looked the tennis court, we would have loved a garden view but our budget didnt allow it this time, i was told that they were at a much higher standard. However the hotel is such a splendid place to stay, we had cream tea on the terrace overlooking the beautifull gardens and swimming pool.
The staff were very pleasent and attentive. The breakfast was plentifull with a selection of cearals fruit, fruit juices and a full breakfast. The evening meal was a delight, not only a good choice of 4 courses with excellent service but we were accompanied by the grand piano with a selection on light tunes from classical to show tunes. If you are a need of a little sufficication and refinement then the Palace hotel is for you. With coffee being taken in the elegant lounges, and with evening entertainment with Jazz bands and the resident singer it fills your evening. I have recommended this hotel to friends and especially my parents who i know would love it .

Reviewed 23 August 2008

I have just returned from a 3 day break at the Palace Hotel, Torquay. Before I went on the break I read numerous uncomplimentary reviews on tripadvisor, I was therefore a little dubious about my visit. I had no reason to be concerned as the hotel's hospitality, food and services were first rate. Although the standard bedrooms were a little small and dated, they had all the facilities that you require and were very clean. The gardens and leisure facilities are impressive, and the dining experiences at breakfast and dinner were complimented by excellent service.

Reviewed 22 August 2008

I've been going to Torquay every summer for the last 18 years and having stayed in the same hotel for each of these years, I thought it might be nice for a change. Especially since the 4 star Palace hotel was offering standard rooms at a mere 64 pounds a night. The website boasted how the Palace was a luxorious hotel with top class facilities and the pictures on show did appear to reflect this. Worried about breaking away from my comfort zone, I decided to do some research and came across websites like this where on almost every occasion the reviews seemed to either say it was brilliant or awful. I assumed those who reviewed the hotel so poorly must just be super picky. How wrong I was.
The Palace boasts of its secluded yet accessible position, apparently its only a short distance from Torquay Sea front. Lies. I never did walk from there to the harbourside but I can imagine it would take at the least 25 mins, not to mention the fact that the return walk is up a steep hill. Secluded? The front of the hotel is certainity not. Its on the busy Babbacombe Road and if you have a front facing room, which I would guess all of the standard rooms are, you're going to get a lot of noise.
My first impression after the shock at just how far out it is, was of instant disappointment. The appearance is a washed out green colour, dont be fooled by the website, its far far more dull than that. Then I saw the indoor swimming pool and this gave me a taste of what was to come. It was tiny and in desperate need of decorating. The reception area is probably about the nicest part of the hotel but again the colour scheme is so outdated and looks like it could do with a good renovation.
Every corridor I walked through was gloomy and there was a weird musky smell in the air. What suprised me most was just how empty it was. The squash courts werent in use, neither was the indoor or outdoor tennis courts. The gym was deserted and in the lounges I saw about 3 people all of whom looked fed up and depressed.
The outdoor pool was the killer though. My family and I are keen swimmers and the website had shown a pool that size wise resembled what we are used to from a holiday pool. Lies again. The actual pool was about a third of a size of that!! If all of us had got in it, we probably would not have been able to move. And it was covered up and not in use! In the middle of summer! Okay it had been raining but the weather doesnt bother some people!
Incrediably disappointed with what we had seen, we instantly left so i cant comment on the standard of the food or rooms but judging by what I had seen, I doubt they would have been up to much.
The Palace might suit an older clientele but if any families are thinking of heading here, think again! There is no way this hotel is aimed at children or for that matter anyone living in the 21st century. This is not a four star hotel at all. I think a visit from a hotel inspector is in desperate need to give it its real modern day rating. Basic facilities, a poor location and decor that will make you feel depressed make the Palaces ' finest hotel in Torquay' slogan seem like an april fools joke.
Thankfully, the hotel we usually stay at managed to squeeze us in for that week so we ended up having a great holiday, something i know for certain would not have happened at a place so wrongly named!!

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank unimpressed668
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We decided to get away for a quick weekend break and although the weather was mixed, we had a wonderful time at the Palace Hotel.Previous reviewers must have been incredibly picky to fault this oasis of measured calm, with its wonderful facilities, walks & views. We were treated with such courtesy and the staff could not have been more helpful. The food was great & breakfast really sets you up for the day!! My advice is try this imposing establishment and relive how the British spent their holidays in style before the Costas came along.

Reviewed 11 August 2008

Have just stayed at The Palace Hotel with my wife for four nights. Our overall view of the hotel was one of extreme disappointment. Our room was to say the least tatty and in serious need of refurbishment. Paint was flaking off the cornicing and the bathroom looked as if it had not been refitted/redecorated since the 1960's. Generally the hotel looked dated. The staff in the dining room were excellent- the only good thing about the hotel. We had stayed here four or five years ago and had enjoyed our stay. This time we were pleased to leave.

1  Thank ChalfontWasp
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I travelled with a group which was booked in to the Palace after being let down by another venue. Having read some of the previous reviews I had some misgivings but I have been most pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and comfortable with a lovely view over the gardens. Good hot water supply and comfortable beds.Friendly staff, good food and excellent service.
We couldn't ask for more. Thankyou. I'll come again but hope for better weather.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
The Imperial Torquay
#12 of 87 in Torquay
The Hotel Balmoral
The Hotel Balmoral
#17 of 87 in Torquay

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!