“Surprisingly impressed!”

Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Hampshire
“Surprisingly impressed!”
Reviewed 11 November 2009

It was with a certain degree of nervousness that we arrived at the Palace after having read some of the negative reviews. However, I booked a garden room,for 5 nights, as I was told that these rooms had been recently refurbished The rooms were spacious and clean, the small balcony looked out onto the golf course. We had booked because the sports facilities were quite impressive and we made good use of them. The indoor pool was fine, tennis and squash courts were good. The only criticism I have is the price of using the golf course, around £24 for my husband and 2 boys. The course is well cared for as are the other parts of the garden but due to the price we only played once. If you have your own clubs etc take them as most of the cost is hiring the equipment. Restaurant was good, not outstanding but above average. I am quite a "foodie" and have high expectations, but generally the food was alright. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel had a well cared for look. There were always cleaners around dusting etc!!
I would return again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank baglin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
wiltshire
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We Stayed at the Palace Hotel On 6th November. On arrival and at breakfast the following day we found the staff to be very polite and helpfull. The room though was very dated. One of the windows would not close properly and had obviously been like this for some time. The tea and coffee making facilities were on a narrow shelf above the television! surely a health and safety issue? The generator on the flat roof outside the window cut in and out constantly all night..
The bathroom was so small you had to get in first, manoeuver around before you could close the door. The sealant around the bath was black and the plughole full of BLACK HAIR!! Some areas of the hotel have been re-decorated but the majority desperately needs to be brought up to date. As grand as it looks from the outside the hotel needs a complete overhaul and does not justify 4* and at £120pn is over priced..

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WiltshireAutumn
london
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Young children are simply not welcome at this hotel. For example, our fault, but we did not notice in the adverts that children, 6 and under, are not allowed in the dining room. We showed up with a baby and 4 year old (and 7 year old), and had to persuade the hotel staff that they needed to eat with us (otherwise, the price of our room included a dinner we were not allowed to eat). Our children, by all accounts, were very well behaved and were permitted to eat dinner, but the atmosphere was oppressive. The pool is lovely, but here, too, given the depth, not meant for children under 6. When we went, the other guests were mostly over 65 and the hotel, in fact, has the feeling of nostalgia for a long gone era.
The rooms were very run down -- carpet in the bathroom is a recipe for mold. The cleaner did not empty trash.
This all being said, the food was very good and high quality, and if one has older children, the grounds offer a lot to do. And if one is over 65, there seems to be good company and the staff are happy to see you.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Cullompton
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My wife and i stayed at the Palace Hotel on the 12th September this year. It was our first wedding anniversary so i wanted to take the wife somewhere a bit plush for the night.

Upon arrival we just about managed to park in the car park as it was almost full. This was not helped by the fact that 4 spaces were cordened off, which we found out on the Sunday morning was so that James Beattie could park his flash Range Rover.

We proceeded to reception which was very grand and in keeping with what i was expecting. Having checked in we proceeded to our room, number 226, expecting to find a nice luxury room. But what we found instead was as if we'd stepped back into the 1960s.

The decor, furniture, bedding and appliances looked like they hadn't been upgraded since then. The bathroom was grubby and cramped, the facilities disgusting.

Considering that we paid £120 for a AA rated 4 star hotel room for the night, when we could have stayed in the Premier Travel Inn 3 miles down the road for half the price and it would have been probably twice as nice, we were very disappointed to say the very least.

i would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Needless to say we will not be returning.

2 Thank Cudmore1977

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Derby
Reviewed 2 October 2009

In the resturant, the service was very good with only one let down with the waitress having left the cooked breakfast too long under the heaters used to keep it warm which resulted in the tomatoes being burnt.
Dinner consisted of four courses followed by coffee in the lounge. There was no cheese and biscuits. Food in general was excellent, as was the waiters and waitresses service. The only let -down was the extreme price of the wines, even house wines were £17.50.
Dinner was accompanied by a painist who played a range of music and was very good.

The room was looking a "little tired" with the ceiling paper coming off and bathroom showing signs of wear. The room was clean and the view from window lovely.
Room had a very small screen television with 10 stations and tea and coffee facilities.

Although pocessing excellent leisure facilities I thought it "penny pinching" to charge £2 to hire putters for the putting green which was very small. A better idea would be to ask for a deposit refundable on returning them with no damage.
Snooker and fitness facilities were superb. The indoor pool, when we were there was out of service but the hotel had informed us of that when booking. The outdoor pool was however heated, something most people had not realised. This was ideal for myself as I had the pool to myself but others mentioned they might have gone in if they were told it was warm.

Although there was a conference taking place, there was adequate parking.
The ground at the rear of the hotel were beautiful and very well maintained. It was a pleasure to sit outside in the sun on the overlooking veranda.
If I was to return to Torquay, I would probablyt look at equivalent grade hotels to see if they were better but would not be disappointed if I had to return to the Palace,

Herts, UK
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We've been to the Palace more times than I can remember since 1985 but this will probably be the last time we go. Gradually, over the years, standards have fallen. This time, we were allocated a room where the loo was dirty (with a build up of wee on the outside of the bowl and round the rim that hadn't been there just for a day or so) and the room was grubby. We were allocated another room but even then had to ask for the bathroom to be cleaned (again, the loo hadn't been properly cleaned). My husband cleaned the bathroom door on the inside which appeared to have been neglected for a very long tme. The twin beds were uncomfortable - hard and with skinny pillows and tired bedding, The carpet was stained.
The evening meal has gradually reduced in quality. It's ok, but basic. There is no cheese board anymore - I just had a plate with quite a nice selection but it had been kept in a fridge and clearly prepared some while ago as the whole thing was pretty well frozen solid. At something like 28 quid each, we reckoned that, with a bottle of wine, we were paying something around 75 pounds for an evening meal. The food now simply isn't worth it
I don't know why they keep the cake trolley in the lounge for afternoon tea. It used to be heaped with a wonderful selection of different little cakes and pastries, together with the wonderful scones. The scones are still wonderful, but there is only a specimen chunk of cake and a couple of dusty scones on the trolley now, the rest of which is covered with rather tired floral displays - it's like something out of Miss Haversham's boudoir.
It's such a shame - it's been a refuge for my husband and me so many times and I have many lovely memories of short breaks there at all different times of the year - especially at New Year. But it's just not the same now. The grounds are still lovely but they weren't lit in the evening this time - perhaps to save a bit of money?
I don't mind old fashioned or even slightly shabby. I don't like dirty and uncomfortable. I guess it's just time to find another refuge.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DocHerts33
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2009

If you like something with a bit of old fashioned style then this is for you. The Hotel is about 5 mins drive from town centre in a upmarket residential area, no B&Bs etc just 1 other Hotel. The food is fantastic, the service impeccable, the staff friendly, superb leisure facilities, inc small playground for children (any there were well behaved) the gardens superb, if you can afford to upgrade to a garden room then do, they are much larger (well the ones we saw were) and have been modernised, the hotel was built on 25 acres in 1841 as a private house, opened as a hotel in 1921, since we last went the hotel has been redecorated and some rooms upgraded but I believe all will be, our room had a old TV with about a 10" screen, I can't remember the last time I saw one that small but as I said all rooms are being upgraded & it’s hardly a major issue, the room was clean and tidy although furniture a little old fashioned but part of the charm. We have stayed there 3 times with family and will continue to return annually, whenever you get chatting to other guests you find that most of them have been coming for years & all say the same especially about putting on weight as the food is so good! It's an independently run hotel which is perhaps why it is so relaxing, most of the staff have worked there for years & are English the few that aren’t speak perfect English (it annoys me when they don’t and your trying to order & they don’t really understand), you are allocated a table & it is yours throughout the stay unless you wish to be moved & you have the same waiter/waitress, We gave ours a £5 tip the 1st evening & when we went to give him another the 2nd night he said I’m sorry I don't mean to be rude but you gave me some last night, I have never met anyone who has said that they have always just taken it, that just an example of the politeness of the staff (he was foreign in case you’re wondering). We paid £64 pp DBB, it has been that price for years & they charge the same for single rooms which I think is good as often they cost more. I could go on but there is no point as there are no bad comments to make. Any questions please ask

1 Thank maty8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
The Imperial Torquay
#21 of 87 in Torquay
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#11 of 87 in Torquay

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!