“We don't do B&Bs - with one exception”

and 1 more site!
Acorn Lodge Hotel -- Torquay
Ranked #76 of 150 Torquay B&B and Inns
“We don't do B&Bs - with one exception”
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Every year we hit Torquay in March for the West of England Brass Band area finals with the Flowers Band and every year we stay with Pauline & Pat at Acorn Lodge. We always have a lovely warm welcome with a pot of tea or coffee and cakes on arrival. Located a 20 minute walk from shops and restaurants its ideal for us as we don't like to be at the heart of the hustle and bustle. Rooms are very reasonably priced and spotlessly clean. Last but not least Pat should be highly commended for his wonderful breakfast. Yum!

• Stayed March 2013
bnbtorquay, Owner at Acorn Lodge Hotel -- Torquay, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thankyou, see you next year, same time, same room, will even bake you a sticky ginger cake as you're such valued customers :~) Pauline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed here for a night out in Torquay. The b&b was lovely and clean with great sized rooms. Kettle, iron, body wash ect - good features for the price!

The location for us was a bit further out as we were going into the town but some shops and pubs are close by. That's the only reason I've given a 4 rather than a 5.

The breakfast was lovely and I would recommend to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Slough, Berkshire
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I picked this B & B at random from the internet, when I was looking for somewhere to stay, whilst playing in a chess tournament in Torquay.

I was quite happy with it. I received a warm welcome and a pot of tea on arrival (thank you). I didn't know where the hotel was for my chess tournament, but they very kindly printed a map for me and put it in my room (thank you). The room was fine, and the bed very comfortable. I slept well the first night, which is unusual for me. The room was en-suite with a nice colour TV.

This B & B is just a short walk from the town center (maybe 10-15 minutes) so no problem there. The breakfasts were fine, and although I do not go for big fried breakfasts, I am sure the landlady would have done me one, had I wanted it.

The only slight fault was with the shower, which did not have much pressure in the water, so took a bit longer to get showered up, but this is nit-picking really, since everything else was fine. I had a pleasant stay, it was good value, and I am happy to recommend this B & B.
By the way, to the landlady, I think a clock in the breakfast room would be a good idea - just a small one.

Room Tip: Well I had room no.1 and that was fine.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Our family of three (with toddler in tow) stayed here in September during a week jaunt to Torquay/Cornwall. Pauline welcomed us warmly as we arrived, showing us to a large room on the first floor. The hotel was very clean, and, after a short time, felt like a comfortable space to spend time waiting out spits of rain. Breakfast was wonderful, every time, and Pauline was full of advice and ideas for us for outings. She also was kind to enjoy chatting with our gregarious son. The hotel itself is near enough to two Torquay stations, and the main town. The beach was not too far away, and Pauline lent us beach toys to make things a little easier. It should be said, we have no qualms walking 10-15 minutes to get somewhere..so that is what you might expect. Pauline knows which cab company to call, if you need that though.

Overall, we really have no complaints, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was a wonderful part of our UK holiday, and we will definitely stay there again if we get back around that way.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cherrymountain
princesscancun09
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We were only here for the night, we were given a choice of rooms, one on the ground floor near the entrance and a large room upstairs. We opted for the large room. It was fantastic, large comfy bed & large modern ensuite.

I can't complain about anything we were offered tea and coffee on arrival and that was a lovely touch. The only draw back was waking up early on a Sunday morning for breakfast (which was served until 9.15) we were a few minutes late arriving and Lorraine didn't mind! We also checked out 30 minutes late.

I would recommend & come back!

• Stayed December 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Excellent. Warm. Welcoming.

Me, missus and my 3 girls was treated very well at Pat and Paulines, from homemade cakes on arrival to the fresh coffee every morning. Everything was spot on. We were allowed to park the car ealier and go exploring, which when we traveled for 2 hours with kids was a treat in its self!

The room we had was family sized and although we were all in together the girs beds where tucked away around the corner so it seemed as though we were child-less which again was a welcomed treat....

The breakfast wasn't vast but enough for us and there was always the offer off more toast. The homemade jam and marmalade was another treat.

If this was on 4 in a bed I'm sure it'll be a good contender, the room was spot-less, the hosts were smiley and happy to help, the breakfasts were spot on, the price was reasonable and to be honest we have stayed in more expensive rooms but have not had as good a service.

Would recommend this little B&B to anyone but especially families.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Worcestershire
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We have just returned from a family get together at the Acorn Lodge, we were made very welcome and everything was spotlessly clean, we had coffee and cake on arrival which was a lovely treat after several hours of travelling. The rooms were a good size - we had a family room, which was two separate rooms - ideal with two teenagers, the beds were very comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble, breakfast was delicious, the service was excellent. Would definitely recommend staying here, definitely excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family