“Stayed 4 Nights October”

Best Western Livermead Cliff Hotel
Ranked #39 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Location of this hotel is lovely about 20 min walk into Torquay. We stayed for 4 nights BB , Breakfast was ok but lacked in choice , service was good staff very friendly . My only one moan would be the rooms are very dated to the point we had an Avacado suite !!! . Definately visit cockfoster across the road lovely little village . aslo the steam train from Paignton to Kingswear and the ferry across to Dartmouth .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I recently stayed in this hotel on business. The Rooms have not been refurbished since at least the eighties. So the retired generation will enjoy the reminiscing of how life was. The hotel was undergoing refurbishment though so hopefully this will improve. Had a road facing room which was the noisiest room I have ever been in. Sounded like the motorbikes and cars were driving right through my room! Food was horrible. Ordered a roast chicken dinner in the restaurant. It was chicken, over boiled carrots and peas with gravy. AND A PORTION OF CRISPS!! floating in the gravy!! Who's Idea was that?! Menu needs an overhaul. The good points are definitely the location and the staff If you are not fussy and can switch off your hearing aids and like retro rooms this is definitely for you.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 17 October 2011

There are good points and some not so good one bad.

The hotel is well situated if you like and evening walk as it is about 1 ½ miles from both Torquay and Paignton, although the Torquay walk is better as it is all along the seafront. There is plenty of parking with easy access to the main road. The staff are friendly and helpful although I did not try the food (don’t usually eat in the hotel where I stay). The room, as well as the hotel, was spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was no noticeable road noise despite the window not fully closing.

On the not so good side is the general state of repair of the hotel. The bathroom of room 24 seemed to date back to the 70’s. The bath was discoloured and the trim panel looked bad due to the cut outs for the pipe work but it was spotlessly clean. The window frame appeared to have some rot and the secondary double glazing did not seem to close properly.

The bad point was that they were painting doors without any warning signs. I only got paint on my hand but judging by the marks on one door others were not so lucky.

None of this detracted from my stay and I would stay there again. All-in-all a reasonably priced 3 star hotel that could benefit from a refit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We sstayed at the best Western LiverMead Hotel at Torquay last weekend (4/9/11) and we were very impressed. Although this is not the first time we have stayed there, it is nice to say that the standards have remained the same.
Food was excellent, the staff were friendly and the room was more than adequate.
All in all a very pleasant relaxing week end.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I cannot believe the bad reviews this hotels has received, I am wondering if we stayed elsewhere !!!! The hotel was lovely and clean and we had a very large room with excellent sea views through very big windows, yes we too had a shared balcony but this did,nt cause a problem to us. The room was exceptionally clean with comfortable beds, we also had a very large and clean bathroom. The food was exceptional, very tasty with a good selection in the evenings, 4 courses which were cooked perfectly, The breakfast was great too and the staff from reception, waiters and waitresses to cleaners were all very polite and helpful and could speak english alibet with an accent. We do find that if you treat staff in a pleasant and friendly manner they will treat you the same !!!! We spoke to many other people who returned year after year and that speaks for itself. I really don,t know what people expect. We travel quite a lot and would be the first to criticise if things weren't up to standard, out of a rating of 10 I would rate this hotel 12

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank babybobbi
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed here and combined a day of business locally then 2 nights stop over with my partner for a short break.
Ok here's the Positives first so it's not too much of a whinge.
I really am trying to be honest in my review.
Reception staff friendly,polite and efficient. Helped when my partner lost her Mobile phone with local police number etc. (It was handed into a nearby hotel reception...thank you whoever you where)
Beyond reception it truly is a step back in time and if you have a young outlook on life forget this place. Nothing against the older generation but you have the monopoly in this Hotel. The decor is tired and dated circa early 1970's. The room was sold with a sea view at a premium but it is only visible through an unusual side door in the room that leads onto a flat roof with access to the fire exit. NOT a sea view through a window as you would expect. The lift is tiny with the old style sliding gate and its a real finger trap with your luggage. Fire doors bang all the time outside room 53 and I did politly ask reception to have there staff check this out but alas nothing improved.
The Breakfast is vile. Food diabolical. The staff speak little English which usually is not a problem but they do not converse at all. Just mutter and forget what you ordered. My poached egg was so hard today i could have played Tennis with it. Didnt dare risk a meal in the restaurant at night so no comment on that. Room was clean and spacious but very very hot. No aircon available. Bathroom large with.....Olive green suite!!
I seriously was mislead by some good reviews on here but they obviously are easily pleased. I would rate this Hotel 2/10 and it only got 2 due to the free parking.
Pier Point restaurant is good for lunch. Its just out front of the Theatre near the Marina

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rugbyking
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Booked this hotel in a hurry and was wondering what I might end up in.Stayed for one night and totally agree with most reviews. The Location is very good and the sea view was really nice especially on the sunny evening I booked in. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful but what lets this hotel down in a major way is the dated decor. My room was small and just so tired looking,the bathroom was a real disappointment and looked like something from the 70`s. Breakfast was okay.
For one night this hotel was okay for me but one really good make over would transform this place .

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business