Best Western Livermead Cliff Hotel
Marquis Hotel(Torquay)
US$126
US$145
PremierInn.com
All reviewssea viewsilver servicesister hotelsunday lunchthe general managerbit datedcourse dinnerfamily roomwaiting staffplenty of choicecoach partyfirst classdouble roomdining roomshort breaksea frontfull english breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have a family member living in Torquay and visit two or three times a year. Livermead Cliff is always my first choice of hotel to stay while in Torquay. The hotel compares very favourably with others in the town for comfort, value for money and friendliness of staff. There have been a number of improvements in the décor of bedrooms over the past year and the room I stayed in recently was nicely furnished, bright, warm and clean. The bed was spotless and comfortable. I really appreciated the level of artificial lighting available in the room which meant that I could read without straining my eyes. ( Not always the case in hotel bedrooms, I have found !) The bathroom was well equipped and spotlessly clean. I usually eat in the restaurant and again I have always found that the quality and presentation of meals compare well with local restaurants. Meals are excellent value, especially if you stay on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. I have always found staff helpful, friendly and polite. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing place to stay this hotel is ideal. In addition the hotel is situated on the level, right by the sea and has wonderful views over Torbay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea are quieter and have wonderful views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I really wanted to dislike this hotel after reading reviews of the sheets and blankets, and the avocado bathroom suites.....however when my elderly mother and I checked in we were given a room for 3 - double bed and 2 singles, all made up with crisp white duvets. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was also white and looked new and clean. Given the average demographic for this hotel I am very surprised that they do not provide walk in showers instead of a shower over the bath. The bath side was too high for my mother to attempt, so consequently she could not bathe properly for the 2 days.
Hotel kept very hot, presumably for the demographic. It was strangely fully decorated for Christmas, given that this was the first week of November, but it appears that it caters to the coach party trade of people wanting Turkey and Tinsel tours, irrespective of the time of year. All staff were friendly with the exception of the girl behind the bar who was rather rude. Old fashioned décor, heavy gold brocade, and the manager very visible in his tail coat.
The dinner in the dining room was also better than I expected, with a good choice, but quite expensive if you are not on a DBB deal.
Talking of prices we called the hotel direct to book the room and were quoted £88pppn which would have been £353 but on a well known hotel booking website we got the 2 nights for £142.Go figure as the Americans would stay.
Full English breakfast was very good. Plenty of parking. Wonderful views. And the unexpected bonus of free wifi!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel is just like Torbay itself is tired,dated and expensive for what it is.Our bedroom like most of the hotel has seen better days,the staff could all be much moor attentive and pleasant towards guests.The meals are of poor quality particularly so the breakfasts.Drinks in the hotel are very expensive for the standard of hotel it is.Other than the function room I find little to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our annual long-weekend Winter golf/shopping break in November 2013 and had a wonderful stress-free time. The hotel is spotlessly clean, warm and the beds are really comfortable. All the staff, without exception, were polite, helpful and very friendly. The breakfast is the best we have had and the bar meals are excellent value. We didn't use the restaurant in the evenings because we happened across an excellent Carvery at the Royal pub in Babbacombe.

Our room (27) had a fantastic sea view and was probably classed as a family room - we could choose which bed we wanted to sleep in each night! I assume we were upgraded due to Best Western membership. However, on arrival we noticed the room was extremely cold and found the radiator wasn't working. After a trip to Reception a heater was placed in the room for that night and the radiator was repaired the next day. Excellent service, but these things should be checked before the room is used. Also, the shower was pretty poor - had a hard job getting the shampoo out of my hair as the water pressure was weak.

The hotel is all that we expected from Best Western - in need of re-decorating but always welcoming and comfortable. Would definitely recommend for a long weekend Winter break but I should imagine it is very good in Summer too.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room - it's well worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My Group of 41 people mixed ages, spent a lovely 5days break (early Christmas) 4th November-8th Nov 2013. The hotel was really comfortable and very pleasant Bedrooms very spacious. and comfortable. Plumbing needs sorting out in some of the rooms. problems getting hot water to come through, (15mins-20mins). The Food was excellent, plenty of choice and presentation was also very good. Staff very attentive and didn't rush you to finish, the service at Bar and Restaurant / Reception very attentive and very helpful. Management great. Yes I would go back for another stay. It was lovely to see all the staff and management standing out in the rain waving their good byes to us, and the Chef coming to say goodbye also., Would have No hesitation recommending the hotel, to Groups and other visitors,

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking sea and gardens, very good. rooms on front also good, Room 29 Great bedroom but only a very small walk-in shower, hot water slow getting through.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends