“Attentive friendly staff, lovely food and comfy bed”

Best Western Livermead Cliff Hotel
Ranked #39 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed for a Valentine's weekend with two other couples. The hotel is a little tired and dated but over all for a three star the hotel was good value. When we arrived we were served with tea and coffee, very generous amounts and with complimentry homemade biscuits! Our room was large with direct access onto the terrace. The room was clean and freshly decorated. The bathroom was large with a corner bath, dated and clean apart the tiled floor grouting which needed some attention. The kingsize bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows. Coffee/ tea facilities, hairdryer and flat screen tv. Two small arm chairs. The room was also very quiet. Room number 53. The staff were brilliant, the manager, Charles, was extremely attentive and ensured we were well looked after. The food was very good and generous with plenty of choice. We would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor and at the back of the hotel. Stay clear of the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed fro one night in March. Upon arrival I thought why have I booked this one. Did not look so good from the front.
However when I entered yes it looks old fashioned but it felt welcoming and the receptionist was polite and smiley.
The hotel is old fashioned and so are the rooms but dont let that put you off.
I found it all to be clean and up to task.
The room I had was clean and had a sea view. Comfy chairs and comfy bed. Slept like a log.
The wi-fi was a bit hit and miss and very slow. I gave up after a while.
The restaurant was great. The food fantastic and the ladies serving were great. My only gripe was that I was asked to sit right next to a couple when there were at least 20 other free tables where I would would not be on top of other people. I did ask if I could sit somewhere else so that I would not be in their personal space and the gentleman said NO as it was all booked. However I could not see why and whilst I was there for over an hour only another two couples came in. Again they sat us all in a row for some reason. This makes it awkward for everyone. There was so much empty space.
The quality and service howver as I have said was very good. Better than most hotels I have stayed in for a while and I stay away at least 3 nights a month.
Breakfast again was great and as I decided to have room service it was on time. Did not want to be seated on top of people again. The lady delivered with a smile and it was still nice and hot.
I would stay again when in the area and would love to use the outside terrace in summer.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

People have different ideas of what is good. I stayed in this hotel for a conference 7th/10th March 2014. I was offered a room with steps but as I was disabled I asked for one without steps. I had my bedroom changed and was upgraded to a double room. The staff were very good and helpful. They were efficient, attentive and were friendly. The hotel was right by the sea and was it was amazing to sit in the bar and the restaurant and look out to sea. The food was delicious and I have never seen so much choice. There were handmade biscuits and chocolates and a different menu each day. The bedrooms were varied in size but the beds were comfortable and the place was clean, with lots of hot water. The rooms with sea views had a supplement but were worth it. The conference rooms overlooked the sea and it was a joy to work in them. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone either for a conference or a holiday. I have booked for another course in October this year and I can't wait. Thank you

1  Thank Debra A
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed 7th/10th March at a conference, we stayed at another hotel last year but we were not happy, this was a real find. The staff were so attentive and friendly, we had breakfasts, coffee with home made biscuits (these are scrummy) buffet lunches afternoon tea again with biscuits and lovely evening meals followed by coffee and home made chocolates again delicious. The conference rooms look over the sea and the staff were discreet and very helpful. Our rooms were varied but everyone agreed good value for money. We are booked again for October enough said. I would certainly come privately and will recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: As I have mobility problems with stairs and needed a walk in shower and wanted a quiet single room...
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed overnight and were disappointed with our rooms. I originally booked a double room with sea view. On arrival we were given a family room on the lower ground floor where you could see the sea if you looked over the wall. Not very good for a romantic stay. We were moved to another room but the bed broke - one of the legs had been screwed into some wood. We finally had a non sea view room. The décor is dated, the bathrooms have avocado baths and sinks that were popular in the 70's. However the food and the staff were excellent, thank goodness otherwise I think we may have left early. However the food and the staff were excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A nice if a little tiard in places.
Room was clean if fittings and decor were a bit dated. Sea views are avalible
Staff most helpfull
Big plus to guy with flower in button hole who brought ice to room when partner had a swollon ankle.
Had meal in hotel one night on 2 for 1 offer.Portions were small and drinks very expensive. Could someone explain why one glass of wine costs a much or more as a bottle in a shop?
sat nav users note that the post code is for the side street. So do not worry that you have entered you have been given the wrong post code.
Buses stop just outside are very frequent. Good idea to buy a day rider plus at £5-10 covers a large area and has been extended with Dawlish line closure.
Look out on web site for advance booking offers especially for mid week.

Room Tip: Use hotel web sites for offers. Lots of hotels in Torquay area. Check they have a big car park if...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We have just stayed at the Livermead Cliff Hotel for three nights. We ew was lovely. The hotel is what you could describe as a little old fashioned. Previous reviews complain about sheets/blankets and bathroom suites being out dated. What I look for is comfortable, immaculate and clean rooms, with tea/coffee, nice size bath with plenty of hot water and I got exactly that. The staff from Reception through to restaurant were friendly but professional. No request was too much trouble.

The food! Dinner was stunning, not one complaint, the chef deserves many compliments. Silver service at dinner was excellent. Coffee and chocolates in the lounge followed dinner very nicely. Breakfast very nice with a good selection which set youpup for the day. We had tea in the lounge one afternoon which was served with homemade biscuits.

Would I stay again? Definitely. Would I recommend? Definitely.

Thank you all for a very relaxing break.

• Stayed: February 2014