“great service, good food, comfortable room & friendly curteous staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corbyn Head Hotel

Corbyn Head Hotel
Ranked #56 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
bath
“great service, good food, comfortable room & friendly curteous staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

from the moment we arrived, which was early, we had a warm welcome & offered our room immediately. a clean & smart accommodation with views towards the sea, we sat on the balcony. a good first impression. the service in the excellent resteurant was very good as was the food. all in all we would book again & recommend this establishment. thanks to all concerned.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juleoBath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Pale Wood Llanderfel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

I cant praise the staff highly enough, from the enquiry, specialist booking requirements, support on arrival and throughout our stay all the staff were excellent and the food superb. Everyone went out of their way to ensure the needs of my frail mother in law were catered for - even down to a surprise birthday cake - she loved the attention. Cleanliness standards are very high and plenty hot water at all times. Prior to our visit friends advised that food and service were excellent but some of the furnishings were a little dated, the hotel is refurbishing different areas and many rooms have been modernised - ask if you want one. We travelled a long way and were not disappoitned - we will come back for one of their winter offers (Nov - Feb) but shush dont tell everyone or we wont get in. Excellent views of the bay.

• Stayed August 2009
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I have once again just returned back from my summer holiday to the Corbyn Head in Torquay. My reason for choosing this hotel once again is that it is a very important part of the holiday to myself as i want my family to be comfortable and well looked after in the hotel.

This year was a different sort of holiday for us as I had my 11 year old and the latest addition to our family, our six week old daughter. At first I was apprehensive as to how we would cope in the hotel, but I didn't need to worry as Anthony and his staff met all our needs and more throughout our stay.

From the moment we arrived, as usual there was a warm welcome from Angie on reception, who throughout the week helped us out with any queries. I was able to leave our pram in reception all week and this was a great help.

We were once again impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and the cleaning staff assisted us with clean cot sheets daily and extra sachets of hot chocolate, milk and tea. The rooms were as comfortable as ever and the children slept very well, our six week old even slept through on a couple of occasions!! We had room 26 and this has a fabulous sea view and view of Torquay from the balcony.

Our main concern was the dining at the hotel as we were unsure about how we would cope with our six week old. Once again the staff were only too happy to help, we took the pram into the dining room and the staff changed their seating plan to accomodate us. As usual the food was fabulous and most nights it was difficult to choose what to have, one night my boyfriend had two helpings of the main course as it was so delicious. I personally would recommend all the soups and the lemon tart!!!!! As usual our 11 year old could choose from either the adult or the child menu and she even requested her favourite red jelly and Anthony had it made especially for her the next day!

Nothing was too much for the staff, even when we felt we were being nuisances with our requests, we were reassured and made to feel very welcome. I felt like I was part of the Corbyn Head family.

We enjoyed lots of trips in the surrounding bay from days out to Paignton, boat trips and a ride on a steam train. My eldest daughter had lots of fun in the hotels outdoor swimming pool in the sunshine. Whatever the weather there is loads to do for both the young and old, families and young couples.

I have already booked the hotel for next year and I would recommend this to anyone, especially families as it is very child friendly. My only criticism is that I didnt stay longer!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Spent 3 nights here recently and having paid £120 per room per night was expecting luxury but this was not the case.
The hotel looks nice enough but was a bit dated. The rooms were adequate but the decor needs updating. The bathroom was very poor with a soiled shower curtain, old carpet on the floor and generally in a shabby condition.
There was a balcony but it was overlooking the carpark and noisy due to the main road location of the hotel.
The swimming pool was small and overlooking the road.
The location is as described overlooking the sea but it is across a main road and a bus/ taxi ride into the town. You could walk it in about 25 minutes. We used the local bus service due to amount of times we went into town, the buses came often.
Overall i would not recommend this hotel due to the cost as it does not reflect the accomodation provided.
The staff however were excellent, very friendly and courteous.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

Each year I visit the Corbyn Head, the reason I do this is as follows. 1. Excellent accommodation in both sea view rooms and penthouse. 2. Superb food which cannot be bettered in either the general restaurant or the Orchid Room. 3. Rooms very clean and well appointed. 4. Staff excellent, friendly and very professional and are always willing to help and oblige, nothing too much trouble. 5. Each night there is entertainment at either the Corbyn Head or one of its two sister hotels, Livermead House or Livermead Cliff, both are within easy walking distance.

Summary. I have stayed and do stay in top hotels all over the UK and have also travelled worldwide on the same basis and for me the Corbyn Head is one of the top hotoels in every aspect, including comfort and always a welcoming smile. Good vale for money, not overpriced, neither am I one of these people who expect something for nothing. In finalisation the hotel also has the finest outlook of Torbay you could wish to see and is also at the quieter end of the Promendade where there is no roudiness.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

What attracted me was the PROMISE OF A LUXURY EXPERIENCE - lovely room, balcony, seaview, good hotel scene and great food. All sound great in the brochure, and prices are reassuringly expensive, but these promises are broken - all except for the price tag and to an extent the room, but the awful noise due to location and patchy maid/cleaning service kind of kill this. This very dissappointing experience was also let down by lack of warmth, friendliness and ambience, poor social scene and facilities, poor food and dining experience, and overall it just didn't cut it for luxury, grand or relaxing either. There's just not feel to the place. So where did they go wrong?

On arrival impressed - room spacious, clean, nice linens, not shabby and well set out. But at about £160 per night, nothing we did expect. As our stay progresed, we felt less enthused. Room was ruined by noise - on main road and traffic goes on all night! Balcony on side, very noisy and not private to sit on nd we were smack in the eyeline fo everyone who walked or drove past who would stare up. Hardly nice for that romantic bottle of wine. Plus you stare straight at the hotel in front so not the best sea view in Torbay at all. You are not on the same side as the sea, but behind the road next to it, and boy is it busy and wide!.

Hotel lacked friendliness, social scene, warmth and ambience. Receptionists frosty, didn't make effort to ask how things were, ditto the waiters. No bar scene of note, tiny and generally unstaffed so had to ring for service and wait ages. Supposed to be open late for residents; miffed to be allowed no drinks after 11pm and find it dead way before and them wanting you in your rooms. We manages to get a late drink once, but they wouldn't turn on the lights in the bar or let us sit down! They wanted us to take it to our room, up loads of stairs! No drinks via room service despite it being advertised. Poor atmosphere in dining area, too quiet and over formal despite the room and food not being up to scratch for that - needed music to give you privacy to talk without being over heard, and drown out offence of an old guy who was very of colonial and 'Empire' days in cravat and panama, being demanding and rude to a waiter, in a manner that seemed racist, never heard anything quite like it and we cringed. Not much of a view being on ground level, and no 'how was your day?' from staff. After dinner entertainment non existant; not a nice place to spend the evening and not set up so as you got to socialise and got to know staff. Shame as it's often the bar man or the restaurant staff who makes your stay on these trips. Definitely one for early to bedders!

Public areas were few and lacked grandeur and relaxation. Lounge at back, no views. Dining room ok but great views upstairs were not for residents on all inclusives but the public with their private Orchid restaurant which was pricey and either closed or empty. Gardens small, just a bit in front right by the road where the tiny pool was too! Not peaceful and lots of traffic fumes.

Food not good. Veg over cooked and slathered in sickly butter; plates so hot that rare tuna carried on cooking and was crucified by the end as was partner's steak. Sauces sickly, over rich and didn't complement dishes. Starters cheap and bland e.g. thin soup, melon. NOT the high class experience advertised; could have used the Orchid but supplement for 2 around £30.

The main problem was LACK OF ROOM SERVICING and CLEANLINESS. As room so nicely presented on arrival, I expected it to stay that way. I came back to find bathroom not cleaned, and bed not made; they said they'd see to it. Bed got made up clumsily, no change of sheets, bathroom still not cleaned. When raised, reception implied I was lying; I suggested they come and see the evidence. Next day still no proper bathroom clean, no clean sheets; after a few days it became apparent that they didn't hoover either. I went to recpetion and was greeted by a frosty faced woman who I could tell just loathed my presence; had one of those sickly 'public service smiles' from behind which you could tell she was just dying to hit you, and that tone of voice that seems pleasant enough on the surface, but really doesn't give a damn about you and your problem and robotically and irritatingly trots out the same spiel hoping that you'll back down and leave so that she doesn't have to solve your problem, and followed by 'madame' after ever line so as to seem polite lol! This ended up being a real battle of the wills, from which I emerged victorous after some 15 minutes. She reminded me that they only needed to change my linen once a week, to which I replied 'yes, but it is dirty and at £160 per night I expect you to provide fresh linen every day- oh and clean my bathroom too'. I got a very evil stare; despite her attempts not to let her halo slip, it's fair to say it did indeed lose a lfir bit of sparkle. She reluctantly agreed to change the sheets, and get the room serviced properly. I'd suggest that if the staff are still like this, and you decide to stay there you attend anger management therapy beforehand to avoid any ugly scenes at reception and do an assertiveness training course beforehand - you'll need them lol!

The hotel's location - well some think it's great as you see the sea and it is in Torquay but there are nicer places to be (and quieter) with or without sea views. It's quite a walk from the centre for bars and restaurants, yes a nice stroll maybe but the main areas for food and drink are still way off the seafront and you won't fancy walking back. There is nowhere to go in the Livermead area except a couple of lower budget hotels who will serve you a drink. We chose this place so that we could spedn some of our evenings in the hotel wiht nice meal, entertainment and a social in the bar but as that side was poor, we had to go out. Would nto choose this location or hotel again.

Other things we hated were steep tight stairs and no lifts. Not acceptable these days and it is hardly a character building so no excuses. Plus not all luggage was taken up and they did not help to bring it down. Bathroom worked fine BUT there were issues over lack of hot water and when there was some, it did not service two consecutive baths. £160 per night to share the water?! You decide!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RoomWithAViewpoint
nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

We booked 2 rooms for a 3 night break as a special birthday celebration,however for 2 out of the 3 nights the penthouse suite had no hot water as the boiler had broken.The toilet handle fell off as soon as we got there.The other room did not have the correct beds in it that we needed and several light bulbs didnt work,the tv in this room was almost unwatchable.The penthouse suite could be really nice with stunning views out to sea but some tlc is needed here.our problems with the other room were sorted after speaking to reception staff,apart from the tv ,we didnt even mention this .!The hotel staff did offer to move us from the penthouse to the sister hotel but with only one day left we felt it hardly worth while.There is also no lift and several narrow stairways to the penthouse which isnt ideal if your not very mobile.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family