“Perfect Dinner”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I can't say that this is the best restaurant in Torbay... simply because I've not eaten in EVERY restaurant in Torbay, but if there IS a better one than Memories Bistro in St. Marychurch, Torquay, than it must be pretty damn spectacular!

I have enjoyed several visits to Memories Bistro over the last few years; with my wife, family and colleagues, and so far the food has been nothing less that superb. The most recent visit was with my wife on June 21st. 2014. As always, Hazel welcomed us warmly by name and showed us to our pre-booked and beautifully prepared table. Red and white checked linen looks so nice in a restaurant.

The atmosphere in the restaurant is unique and intimate and it is decorated cleverly and imaginatively in a very apt 'memories' theme. The menu is extensive, as is the wine list, and the specials are written up over the bar. I ordered the home made crab cakes for starter and my wife opted for the home made salmon cakes, both of which were served with bread, home made mayonnaise and a fresh salad garnish. Gordon, Hazel's husband and chef, is a genius when it comes to home made menu items and you can tell. Our respective starters simply melted in the mouth.

We'd ordered a bottle of Chardonnay (and an excellent example it was too!) which had accompanied the first course and which would see us through the main event. My wife chose to have a breast of chicken, prepared and cooked in the way only Gordon can... superbly. I ordered a fillet of sea bass. The food arrived, and it was a delight. Once the accompanying veg had reached our table, we tucked in. I could see that my wife was enjoying her chicken and the obviously delicious sauce that enveloped it. As for my sea bass, it was heavenly! I can honestly say that I've only once eaten fish elsewhere that equalled this and that was several years ago in a restaurant in the Loire Valley in France! The flesh melted on my tongue and I was so sorry when it had all gone. The Chardonnay complimented it superbly.

But as though the food wasn't amazing enough, Hazel, who was working so hard waiting tables on a hot and balmy evening, still had time to chat to us and other diners on several occasions during the meal. What service!

The desert menu was just as superb as the rest. I have indulged in the home made deserts at Memories Bistro in the past and I can only say that they are amazing, but on this visit both my wife and I had to resist. One reason was that it seemed a shame to lose the taste of the main course, but mostly because of the calorie factor. We really are trying to lose weight, which is very difficult when there is so much wonderful food available here. So we opted for coffee instead, which was excellent and was served with After Eight mints. The price of our treat was extremely reasonable, considering the quality of the fare, at £54.70 in total. Very, very good.

I would strongly recommend anyone who lives in or visits Torbay or anywhere nearby to pop along to St. Marychurch in Torquay (There is a lovely and quaint little shopping centre precinct there that's well worth a look, too.) and treat themselves to a fantastic evening of culinary delight at Memories Bistro, which is situated at the top of the precinct near the church. Sadly, it's only open on Friday and Saturday evenings, Hazel and Gordon preferring to opt for quality rather than quantity, so it's a good idea to book well in advance because it is very popular, and rightly so.

We can't wait for our return visit!

3  Thank Antony C
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Many thanks Antony C for such a fantastic review, it is so kind of you to give us such high praise we really appreciate that you have taken the time. It makes all our hard work worthwhile. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Fantastic menu choices, perfectly cooked food, excellent value and friendly, attentive service make a visit to this hidden gem an absolute must.

Thank you for a wonderful evening, we'll definitely be back, and definitely having the scallops again - they were delicious!

2  Thank JamesBen81

Many thanks James Benn 81, for taking the time to write us a very nice and positive review, we look forward to your next visit, we will make sure that the Scallops are waiting for you.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I would like to say a big thank you to Hazel & Gordon for a lovely meal it was excellent we ate here on 21st May.

Memories is such a relaxed & friendly Bistro, & the food is sooo tasty.

We certainly will be back

Thank you Hazel for the tip about 'gout' we have purchased a bottle will let you know how things progress, & also hazel for how kind of you stopping to ask how we were the next day in St Mary Church.

1  Thank westmidslady1
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you westmidslady1 for your very kind words about our Bistro it is much appreciated, we look forward to your next visit. Hope the cherry juice is working.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had not been to memories before and we are kicking ourselves.
Right on our doorstep is a gem of a place with food that I really did not
want to stop eating so I purposely slowed my eating rate down. There were
6 of us on Saturday evening (sorry for being a little late, from someone who never is!!!)
and the food was nothing short of SUPERB. The service could not be faulted, this is
a fabulous eating experience.

1  Thank NiV0n
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you NiV0n for your very kind positive review, It is so kind of you to say our food and service are superb it is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My Partner and I celebrated his Birthday on 17th May 2014 at "Memories" Bistro..You would have to go along way to find such a warm welcoming place to eat. The food was amazing, we now understand why it was so hard to book a table We will try very hard to return. Thankypu Hazel and Gordon for a lovely evening from Jenny and Steve.

1  Thank Jennifer G
gordonw21, Owner at Memories Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Many thanks Jennifer G for your kind & positive review, we look forward to your next visit very much.