“Early summer break”
Review of Anchorage Hotel

Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #63 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We had a four day break at The Anchorage second week in June our room was cold the bathroom was disgusting to start with it was not cleaned very well, long hairs all over the place my wife had to clean it before we could use it. Rust along the bottom of the raditor paint chipped off, loose toilet seat,the carpet in our bedroom had bits all over it. The food was ok we had a good waiter. We were not the only ones that were not happy with the rooms there were two other couples we spoke to of the same opinion

Room Tip: Don't have room 62
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank astralaster

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We have recently returned from a four night break at 'The Anchorage.' We thought it was really good value for the money. We had a deluxe double bedroom and we couldn't fault it. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and the bathroom was spotless. The room had recently been refurbished to a good standard. The food was well presented (hot food on hot plates as it should be). They have an excellant chef who uses fresh veg and provides you with quite a wide choice on the menu for evening meal. The staff are very hard working and strive to look after you.
The free entertainment in the evening was a bonus.
We are sure that you always gain when you stay in a family owned and run Hotel like The Anchorage.
Fully recommend it.
We are suprised that it only has a 2star AA rating.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the deluxe rooms and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel. To begin with it took 4 phone calls before I was finally sent a confirmation email of my booking. On arrival I was told that I wouldn't be able to have breakfast the next morning, because I needed to leave before 8.30am to get to my first appointment. After a very long and busy day, it was quite late when I booked in. I was left to find the room on my own, with no offer to help me with my luggage. The room was in a very poor state. The furniture was cheap, worn and stained. There was plaster coming off the walls in 2 places and the debris was left on the carpet. I couldn't use the kettle or cup because they were so stained. The vase of dried flower that were place by the kettle were caked in sticky dust. The skirting boards and window sill were thick with dust and the bathroom was a real eye opener! The shower was stained with yellow patches with brown hairs in the tray and the taps on the sink were caked in yellowing limescale. But the worst was still to come, the bed was so lumpy and uncomfortable that I had to fold the duvet in half and put it onto the mattress. I still only managed to get a couple of hours sleep. I was so glad that I had only booked in for one night and decided to mark it down as somewhere that I would never stay again. On checking out, I told the member of staff working on the Reception, who didn't look at all surprised and not at all bothered. I wrote to the manager of the hotel to inform them of my experience, but as expected I haven't received any response. Last week I was amazed when I was sent an email informing me of a range of 'special offers and deals'. If they paid me to stay there again I wouldn't take them up on the offer, let alone wasting my hard earnt cash on staying there again! I stay all round the country at lots of hotels and B&B's and this is the worst place I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Joy B
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This hotels service is terrible,the waiting staff can't speak English,the food was cold and a woman next to us had a catipilla in her starter,the management don't care about any of the complaints and not once sorted any of them out,for example the rooms are absolutely freezing the entertainment was like watching paint dry and the time I had to wait for a drink was too long for my liking,daryl the manger is arogant and seems to employ the wrong staff purely to save money,the big foreign waiter shouts and seems very miserable,for the price it's definitely not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2012
9  Thank Peachflower8
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We have just returned from 4 days at the Anchorage,it is still up to it usual very good standard,thanks to all very clean and the food was also very good,looking forward to our next visit in a couple moths time.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed here over the may bank holiday. and can say we had a great time. I wont bore you with a huge review. the beds were clean, food was nice and plentiful. entertainment was a bit ropey lol but I think its hit and miss with that. pool was warm and clean. And believe it or not the staff were all English. great for family's or singles
will book again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank simmo116
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Just returned from a 5 day coach stay at the Anchorage. My single room was a good size, as was the bathroom ( shower only but excellent). Spotlessly clean with tea and coffee making facilities. The lady who cleaned the room was lovely and very conscientious. All the staff are very friendly and efficient. Nothing is too much trouble.Food is fresh with plenty of choice. Added bonus, free WiFi in rooms, I've stayed in 4 star that do not provide this. I think this hotel is worth more than it's 2 stars. Thx for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo