“Looks are deceiving!”
Review of Anchorage Hotel

Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #63 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I recently stayed at this Hotel for 3 days. Looked impressive from the outside, but the room was dreadful.There was paint peeling off the wall under and to the side of the window. The window had black condensation mold around the pains,, and frame. The bathroom also had black mold around the shower screen, and behind the toilet. There were also dead wood lice on the floor. I asked for a change, but was told ´no spare rooms as fully booked´. I could not go to another Hotel as I was on a Coach Tour, and was forced to suffer the embarrassment of having to call the Manager on several occasions as the toilet would not flush, I was told ´they were experiencing some trouble with toilets flushing´! The shower was a dribble, it was impossible to have a proper shower, and I was forced to wash my hair in the wash basin, using a plastic cup to obtain water from the tap to wet & rinse my hair. Then when I thought things could not get any worse I was refused a vegetarian sausage with bacon and poached egg for breakfast. Meals were small, vegetables were very overcooked and for the most part tasteless. On the plus side, the roast potatoes tasted great! Would I stay here again? Never!

Room Tip: Don´t have No. 14 it´s next to the stairs, and people coming from Bar/Lounge area at all hours don´t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Lindy S

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel, with my parents, for two nights 7-9th February. We had stayed here previously but 19 years ago! Our checking in was speedy with a pleasant gentleman receptionist. My parents were advised of their room number as were we. The first room my parents were given was of average size with a walk in shower as requested; however we had not requested a fan which took 20 mins plus to switch off! My dad went back to reception ( different receptionist) and was eventually shown another room right next to the bar (noisy), he declined this room and was told that they would have to see if another room was available. Shown Room 34 which they accepted but no walk in shower and was very 'compact'! Next day they saw their view was a brick wall! We also discovered that the hotel was not full.

We had a larger room (60) with a very small radiator blocked by a single bed; it was very cold, especially at night when heating was off. Also the room was only surface clean, when you looked at skirting board (black with dirt) and pedestal of wash basin (streaky black marks) and lumps of fluff on floor - cleanliness was definitely an issue.

Breakfast was OK but with limited choice i.e. cereal or fruit juice but not both - full English looked good but not something I am able to eat. Evening menu again gave limited choice with unusual mix of veg to go with dishes; house red was definitely not to our taste (sweet).

On the plus side - staff (although few in number) were very friendly and obliging; drinks were cheap in the bar at 99p each.

We had looked forward to this visit but won't be going back again in a hurry, not even another 19 years methinks!

Room Tip: Room 60 overlooking pool is not good in winter, chilly; Room 34 is like shoe box with view of a bric...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diane M
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was an excellent hotel, the staff were extremely friendly as was the service. There was a good choice of menu and it was all served with a smile to the table. Evening entertainment was great. The location was perfect for exploring and the small town was a real find. We even managed to walk down to the sea and climb back up, rewarding ourselves with a pint in a local pub. The only thing I would point out was the lack of glasses in the room - they were plastic, but we bought some in a charity shop and returned them at the end of our stay. All in all a great long weekend break that I would highly recommend

Room Tip: Probably a room upstairs would be quieter as very creaky floors
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carole W
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Looking forward to staying here what a mess, firstly we were promised a "nice room" very ordinary the carpet was worn there was a hole in the bed sheet no heating when we arrived we had to keep asking for the heating throughout the three days we were there. That was a waste of time, it did come on occasionally but was off during the night so if you needed the bathroom it was very cold. The quality and quantity of the food was poor, one very thin slice of meat and watery gravy, at least the vegetables were fresh and plenty of them. We had to put up with the fire alarm going off twice fortunately it was a false alarm, at least that worked well. The hole in the sheet was reported and three days later nothing had been done. None of the staff smiled and I'm sure wished they had been somewhere else. Certainly not one to return to.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank duncandowning
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Really great price for what i wanted- my 16mths old boy and i wanted to stay 2 nights and they gave me a great price and a great room too with breakfast included. Very happy with the hotel and services. Will definately be using them again. Thank you for a really good stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DubaiKitten
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Went on a coach trip and stayed in this hotel . I must say I was quietly surprised . Our room was lovely and clean so was the bathroom. The food was very tasty and plenty of it . The staff were very attentive and polite and to top it all a 99p bar every night from 7pm till 10 pm . All in all a very pleasant stay would definitely stay here again .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wendy j
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel in the past 9 months but our first away from home for New Year Celebrations. It was a four day package, three day accommodation with full board. The food was exceptional, the staff most helpful and as the hotel was well booked there was a great atmosphere. There was entertainment each evening and dancing. It was not to be surprised to hear that one couple had been coming for the past 19 years and another couple for 12 years. We shall definitely be going back during 2014. This is a superbly run family hotel where nothing is too much trouble and you are sure of a relaxing and enjoyable break. It has been noted that Majestic, with whom we travel several times a year, now have this hotel on their tours.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple