“Weekend break”
Review of Anchorage Hotel

Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #62 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a small group of friends overall we had a nice stay no problems , staff were all lovely location is a cheap taxi ride away from torquay town centre , rooms were fine a bit small but ok for sleeping .pool was good aswell , didn't stay for the entertainment , breakfast did the job filled us up was nothing special thou .Thankyou to the staff for contacting me to tell me they had found my backers after I left and sending it to me via post , for a cheap break away it was perfect would return if ever in torquay

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Average hotel with friendly staff who work very hard . The place needs some investment as it is quite dated . As others have commented the food portions were very misery and not of high quality . Overall though we had a nice stay here .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert K
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Came here with friends and family on a special shearings self drive.just after Christmas. Lovely staff, clean rooms. Food was small and the toast mouldy, yek. St I'll had a fan time and would go back again.

Room Tip: Not worth upgrading all rooms pretty good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank KarenhPlymouthuk
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I paid £39 for a single room with breakfast. This is a good deal but the normal rate is higher. Staff were friendly and helpful. There is a pool but I didn't use it so cannot comment on what it's like.
I had room 6 which is actually a twin. The window looks inwards to a flat roof and a fire escape. The room was very hot.
The en suite bathroom is actually a small room built in the existing one with a sliding door. The enamel bath is chipped and the extractor fan is extremely noisy. The whole room is a bit tired looking although recently decorated. The furniture does not match. The room was clean with a kettle and ample tea and coffee.
Breakfast was one of everything. Choice of egg. Cheap sausage. I rasher. Half a tomato. Beans. Fried potato. 2 toast. (Alright not one of everything then). All fine except the soggy slices of potato which I left. Starts with choice of juice or cereal. Why not both? It's the one thing which seems to upset most people in the reviews! The breakfast was served almost instantly.
Overall I was satisfied with my stay which I think was reasonable value. I have scored it a 3 overall because I don't believe in saying things are very good or excellent when they are in fact average and satisfactory. At the price I paid I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank mcxxjc
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I get to see a lot of hotels in my work and this is as good as any in its range,as you can tell by looking at the varied revues some people expect a lot more than they are paying for,hotels have strict budgets and coach firms are cutting them to the bone on prices.The staff I met were extremely pleasant and helpful and the guests I spoke with were more than happy.In a shrinking holiday market it is increasingly difficult for hotels to keep going all year and provide for their staff and they need all the encouragement they can get so harsh neg.comments do not help.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Rob B
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a weekend here - they accepted our deposit and then emailed to inform us that the price was twice what we expected. When I referred them to my confirmation email, they just said that the price was wrong. Needless to say our weekend is cancelled and we are going somewhere else.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 62wendy62
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Myself my partner and my disabled dad stayed here for 2 nights in June, we read reviews and some people will always expect 5 star at 2 star prices, we were very pleasantly surprised how lovely this hotel and staff really was. We hAd 2 disabled rooms no extra cost for single occupancy with 1 room , they supply a beautiful evening meal and breakfast at a very competitive nightly rate, thank you to Simon and all the staff for a lovely weekend. I would highly recommend you to family and friends

• Stayed: June 2014