“lovely stay”

Ranked #126 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“lovely stay”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We had a lovely stay at Anstey's lea, we stayed in room 4, we couldnt of asked for better. The room was lovely and spacious, clean and tidy, the towels were big white and fluffy, (little things like this please me). Cleaned daily, bed large and very comfortable. We had a nice area right outside our room with bench and table where you could sit privately overlooking the garden.
After spending a day out it was lovely to come back, open patio door's and watch the very large tv. Bathroom was really nice, with a lovely shower, which looked all new and fresh. Will definately go back!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
bracknell
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Just got back from a three night stay at Ansteys Lea Hotel, fantastic break. We took ourselves and our 88 year old dad for a mini break, the large room [no. 4] was great. Loved having all the space it gave us and the French doors were a treat in the hot weather. the huge bed was so comfortable and great television on the wall of the seating area. The owners could not have been friendlier, the rooms were clean and fresh towels each day , All you could eat for breakfast, although I think Roy was slightly confused when I had porridge and put fresh fruit in it!!! They put dad in a nice room in the main building which, as we were in the room leading from the garden gave us a little "free time of our own". Good value all over and price was just right, will visit again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Great food served at the nearby pub/restaurant called The Babbercombe Inn, near the theatre in Babbe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We found The Ansteys Lea Hotel really good value for the family. We stayed in a spacious two bedroom two bathroom apartment. Very clean, neat and tidy. The breakfast was excellent with a great choice including a delicious fresh fruit cocktail. Ideally located for access to all of the amenities that Torquay had to offer. The owner Roy is a lovely bloke who is very accommodating and we are definitely going to come again, may even tell my Dad about it and get him to stay!!

Room Tip: Go for an apartment
2 Thank Paul S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We booked at the" lastminute .com". Roy was very keen to accommodate us considering that the hotel had no vacancies so during our stay we moved 3 times. Every room is very clean , the bed linen made of egyptian cotton, plenty tea and coffee in the room , variety of fresh fruit for breakfast , well cooked English breakfast, safe parking front the hotel.A warm pleasant welcome from Roy and good knowledge about the area with recommendation regarding places to visit . Soon we hope to return at this hotel !!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have used trip advisor for many years and have stayed in many hotels and bed and breakfasts over the years. This is the first time i have ever reviewed any accomodation. I am doing this because of a chat witht the owner of a hotel called the ansteylea hotel in Torquay. he told me about how he was so far down the list on tripadvisor and I said I would review him and I am doing that now

I have just returned from a trip to Newquay and Torquay.

I was about to return from my trip when I decided to stay longer and the first hotel i passed with vacancies sign was this hotel. The owner was nice and friendly and showed me a very big room and said he would fit a bed for the third person in the party. All of this was £70. The photos on the site are of the room that i stayed in and these photos have captions that critise the room like "had steps" "shower was a box in room" - I paraphrase. I thought the room was very nicely decorated and enormous. It has a fridge freezer, cooker, mocrowave, shower room which was lovely. There was a really nice two seater sofa and an armchair in a living space which was superb and the room was big enough to take the furniture etc. The ceilings were decorated ornately and it was very nice and suberb for £70. There was some painting and decorating stuff outside the room and the bench area in the garden was tatty but that doesnt matter to me. There may have been contractors staying there.

The owner explained why he was number 96 out of about 150 on tripadvisor. I found this interesting as i had just stayed at a much higher rated hotel in torquay and that was poor compared to this hotel. This hotel is a 2 star and is nice in my view or at least the room i was in was very nice. The owner said he used to be on 6 different hotel booking sites such as epedia, hotels.comcom, booking.com etc etc. He said that he did not monitor this site via a phone and sometimes did not check the internet for hours so that rooms had been double booked. This accounted for some of the terrible reviews. I told him that would have annpoyed me too and to use a iphone and check it every two minutes but he said he would not do this. He has now cut down the sites that he is on to two sites but i suggest he should check the sites more often

The breakfast was ok and was £3.50 extra.

Overall supreb value for money and 45£ cheaper than the Westbank hotel that i am about to review now
thanks
matt

1 Thank matt d
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Dithered between how to rate, very good, or excellent. Because it ticked all our boxes I had to rate it excellent. We had like an apartment. Kitchenette, lounge/dining area which was perfect for self catering for families. Somewhat reluctant to extol its virtues too much being selfish, but on the other hand only feel it fair to share! Beds were the best I have ever ever slept in!! We had a fantastic holiday due to Roy's haven - thanks! Now I must email him straight away to secure our return next year!!!

wales
Reviewed 14 July 2013

A warm pleasant welcome from Roy. We were showed straight away to a clean and comfortable room with a well appointed clean bathroom with everything we needed for our weekend including safe parking. Having a front door key meant ease of access after hours. The breakfast was well cooked and we were served quickly. Roy was informative about the area, recommending places to visit and where to eat. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple