“Thoroughly enjoyable weekend”

Ranked #48 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Birmingham
“Thoroughly enjoyable weekend”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have just come back from a very enjoyable weekend at the Seascape hotel. I was part of a group from Dosthill WI. We found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable and the food was very good. We would like to say how well organised everything was. Checking in was quick and easy. The service in the restaurant was also very efficient. The entertainment was excellent and we all enjoyed the murder mystery, I have never laughed so much. This hotel was a very pleasant surprise. I have stopped at very expensive hotels and not had such good service. So we would like to say a very well done and thank you

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mary F
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Mary

Thank you very much for your review. We are elated to hear that you found the hotel to be spotllessly clean and comfortable. Its great to also hear that you enjoyed the entertainment we have only started doing the 'murder mystery' at the back end of last year and they seem to be doing very well, with the guests thouroughly enjoying it so we do hope to continue the tours throughout the year.
Thank you very much for your comments regarding our overall service and organisation and we do hope that we will be seeing you again very soon.

Michelle Lyons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
East Cowes, , United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

After reading some comments, was a bit wary of what to expect. Went on a week-end Just go holiday. The manageress welcomed everyone as we arrived, had keys to our room promptly. The room although a little small, was clean functional and had a lovely sea view. (only down side, had no bath, but as most are elderly guests, could understand that). And although had read about squeaky floorboards, (and was commented on, as a feature in an old building) found it a little annoying when trying to sleep, or get up in the night. But again, most were in bed at a decent time. All staff were friendly and helpful. We asked at reception for some alternative pillows, and found a choice on our bed when we returned. The food was piping hot, and very tasty! again, lovely views of the sea from the restaurant.
The hotel is in a good location, just a short stroll down to the town and harbour. (and back UP! again)
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, as a good honest value for money establishment.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jackie A
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. Although I do suggest the creaky floorboards are a feature we are are currently doing our best to resolve this in the rooms, about 3000 screws later we are getting there! :))
I have passed on your positive comments to both the chefs and waiting staff who are always delighted to recieve such rave reviews. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will be returning to see us again very soon.

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had a lovely stay at The Seascape the first week in March on a Just Go break. We were made to feel very welcome from the start. Our room, at the back of the hotel with a sea view, was lovely, clean and comfortable, the food and service very good and the entertainment each night kept us well entertained. Yes, the floorboards creaked but it's an old building and that's what happens in old buildings! My husband, his brother and wife and myself would like to extend a very big thank you to all the staff there for making our break so enjoyable.
Sue M

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sue M
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Sue

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, and also thank you for the lovely card that you gave us on your departure day.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found all aspects of the hotel to be very good including the food and cleanliness etc.

We do hope that you and your family come and stay with us again in the future, we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Michelle
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed last week with my friend, we had a lovely time. The staff were very friendly especially our waitress. Our room (6) had lovely views of the bay and our cleaner did fantastic job, the decor was clean and fresh.
Our trips were very enjoyable and our coach driver Colin was also fantastic.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nelly W
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and such a lovely one at that. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have passed on your positive comments to the waiting staff and room attendant.

We do hope that you will be returning to see us again in the near future.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I felt compelled to write a review based on the last few reviews. I went to stay with my wife on a coach trip returning home last Friday and I don't have a bad word to say about the hotel. The staff were very welcoming and my wife's mobility issues were quickly resolved, we were moved to a ground floor room immediately as soon I went to reception. The hotel was warm and spotlessly clean and the food was plentiful, we also very much enjoyed the entertainment. I will definitely be returning we felt we received great value for money.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OAP T
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, i am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your comments regarding the cleanliness we do work hard to ensure the hotel is clean and comfortable for everyone to enjoy.
We do also do our utmost to ensure that the guests needs are met the best we can, of course we want to resolve any issues to ensure your stay is enjoyable.

We do hope to see you again very soon.

Bournemouth
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We also spent Valentine weekend at this hotel, we were shocked at your response to other guests comments, it was extremely cold in this hotel ,nothing to do with extreme weather, more to do more with the hotel being closed since December and opened the day of our arrival, there was no heating in corridors outside on the bedroom hallways, reception, each day we tested the radiators, barely on in other areas, in fact our first evening we sat in the bar with coats on supporting your singer, stairs to the dining room smelled musty, the dining room was extremely cold ate in sweaters. We did complain to reception about the heating we were told maintenance were looking at boiler, nothing changed, so no point in complaining about the food, of which some meals were Luke warm.The waitress was excellent and very welcoming, unlike some of your other staff, we more of an inconvenience, if you didn't want to open why do it? The only losers were your guests who paid for the privilege. A member of your staff Saturday evening, was asked to put the heating on in the bar, he opened the patio door, and exclaimed it was positively balmy and walked away grinning. We spent the rest of the weekend in the hotel majestic, next door whose heating was not affected by the extreme weather. We didn't see Michelle over the weekend , unless she was at breakfast with children, dressed in a quilted jacket, "wish we had taken one" I have complained to highcliff coaches but to date have had no response, maybe you should have all considered the consequences before opening that weekend there were 20 people on our coach who may not complain, but we all know in business, "word of mouth can be the best or the worst advertisement.

Room Tip: Go in summer.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank justus50
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Reviewer

I did not respond badly to the other reviews I have simply responded to thier coments. As I explained in my previous responses the hotel did open for your tour but the heating was turned on 2 x days prior to your arrival.

I was around during your stay as I live in the hotel I was in the kitchens on Friday night where Nula your waitress informed me that the guests were very happy and infact sent compliments to the chef? I was also on reception Saturday afternoon with Steve and no problems were reported. I am on call 24hrs a day to deal with any problems not of which simply were not reported to me as, as far i was concerned there were not any as none had been made.

We always to our utmost to ensure that the guests enjoy thier stay with us and address any issues immediately, like i said before im sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but had any issues been raised during your stay they could have been or at least tried to have been resolved, however i can not resolve any issues after your departure.

Although it was Valentines day on your arrival day it was at no point adverised as a 'Velentines Tour' we simply put up a few decorations as a gesture.

Regards

M Lyons

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Dorset
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Went down to the seascape for Valentine weekend, Friday I was so cold I got a chill so I was ill most of Saturday,
The entertainment was good but we couldn't stay there because it was so cold in the hotel, Poor singer had 7 people watching him all sat in big coats and wooly jumpers

This hotel could really do with a revamp, its old, very dated, single glazed in the lower floor dining area, drafty and all together not what I would expect from a hotel, windows in the upper floors don't fit well and the curtains blow around to prove it

Staff are as cold as the hotel with the exception of the cleaners and the lady that serves the food at meal times, where incidentally we were given two choices of dinner that had to be ordered at breakfast, indeed on the coach on the way down we were given a choice of Ham egg (one) and chips or fish and chips not what I would expect on a valentine weekend , They did put a banner up though but the food was poor, sweets were a soggy crumble or ice cream and jelly, just the sort of thing I love on a cold day in a cold place.

All together I never want to see the place again EVER, if it wasn't for the lovely hotel next door my weekend would have been very short as I wanted to get home, really it was that bad,

Room Tip: Don't bother wasting your hard earned money until the weather warms up again.........
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rick9449
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Reviewer

Im sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. You did get told upon arrival that unfortunately the other coach that was due to be in with you had cancelled and that we were sorry that you were the only coach party in, this was beyond our control, it was highcliffes choice to still bring your tour, we did tell them that you would be the only party in.

The windows on the upper floors are all double glazed and not misfitted at all, the cold was due to the extreme weather that was experienced over that particular weekend, throughout the country not just the south west. We had the heating on full and it had been on full for 2 x days prior to your arrival.

Granted the hotel is old it was built in the 1800s but it must be a matter of opion that a revamp is needed as we have spent January once again redecorating the rooms!

I would like to say that no problems about the food were reported to any of the staff during your stay, infact the waitress - which you complimented told us that the guests were commenting on the food and how good it was?!

Regards

Michelle Lyons
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Riviera Hotel
#10 of 11 in Exmouth
TLH Derwent Hotel
TLH Derwent Hotel
#19 of 87 in Torquay

Been to Seascape Hotel? Share your experiences!