“Our stay at the Seascape”
Review of Seascape Hotel

Seascape Hotel
Ranked #44 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Our stay at the Seascape”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Our holiday in the Seascape was pretty good. We asked if we could change rooms to begin with because the 1st one only had a bath and because of my disability I needed a room with a shower. It proved to be no trouble at all for them which I greatly appreciated. We found the hotel to be clean and the rooms although small were adequate for our stay. The staff (especially our waiter David) couldn't have been more obliging. The food on the other hand was quite poor especially breakfast as that was usually undercooked most of the time. The entertainment was passable but to be fair they did put entertainment on on the Wednesday where there wasn't usually any as not many people went to the theatre. We had a seaview room but it was over the stage (if anyone who goes in there wants an early night) but you can't have everything I suppose. All in all it was quite a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you want a seaview you will need earplugs in case you go to bed early.
1 Thank Karen W
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for posting your review. I am pleased that you found the staff to be helpful and obliging upon a room change request. Also thank you for your kind words about David he was happy to hear he had yet more positive comments.
I am sorry that you felt the breakfast was undercooked, I have passed these comments to our chef and we shall do our utmost to ensure that the future guests do not feel this way.
Some not all of the Sea view rooms are above the bar area where the entertainment is played, but this does only go on until 11pm.

We are glad that your overall stay was pleasant.

Michelle Lyons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We found this hotel to be clean pleasant and the staff helpful disappointing disappointing parts of the trip was the room especially the bathroom very small felt like I was in a caravan . Do not go with your mother-in-law as she dose nowt but complain but when she gets home she tells everybody was fantastic

Room Tip: The only tip I can give is that make sure when you book your room is the one you want because it wil...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shaun M
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for posting your review, I’m pleased that you felt that the hotel was clean and the staff were helpful.
I’m sorry that you felt the bathroom was small, as they are ensuites rather than bathrooms they do vary in size, some are smaller than others.
Unfortunately I cannot comment on your Mother-in-Law :))!!

Also just a note regarding your room tips: We only charge extra for rooms if the guests request an upgrade to a superior room.
The towels are changed every other day and a small charge is only made if you require a daily change.
We do charge a £10.00 refundable deposit for the remotes as when our systems were updated we only had around 15 remotes left of the 60 rooms, but as stated it is refundable. We do change the batteries regularly but do not know if the batteries are low until we are told, but they are immediately replaced upon request.

Thanks again for you kind words.

Kindest Regards

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights from the 2nd of May on a Newmarket coach trip from Norwich. A great friendly hotel, Billy, our waiter was particularly helpful. We spent a lot of time travelling, but what else can you expect, for me, no driving! Staff were helpful and they offered to carry luggage to rooms, you just had to ask, anyway, they have a lift. Food was home cooked and enjoyable. The breakfasts were great and as a diabetic, I had no problems. We would highly recommend this hotel. Short walk down hill to Torquay bay and only a fiver on the taxi back, if you can't manage it!

2 Thank Keith G
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for the comments regarding the staff, we are here to help and like you say all you need to do is ask and we are more than happy to help. I have also passed on your positive comments to Billy.
Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to see you again very soon.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here with my friend on a Highcliffe tour and we couldn't have been happier. The staff were very attentive and friendly, our waiter David was charming.
The rooms were beautifully clean, as too were the public areas. Our driver Graham was also great and looked after us all very well. We had a fabulous time and I would definitely recommend Highcliffe and Seascape.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for posting your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; I have passed on your positive comments to a very happy David! :))

Thank you also for your comments towards the cleanliness; again they are very much appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 12 May 2014

seascape hotel do not go there. Needs much refurbishment. Too far from Eden and Heligan. 3 hours Heligan - 2 hours to Eden. On this four day break up to 26 hours can be spent sitting in the coach.Our top floor room though clean was very dark even with the light on. The bed was very very uncomfortable. Hand held shower was either too hot or too cold with no in between. One time we had no hot water at all. Floorboards throughout creaked and groaned loudly and the slightest noise could be heard from adjoining rooms. Restaurant service good but food not.

Room Tip: hotel no stars / do not chance it. With Newmarket coach tours be very careful.
2 Thank Alan W
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
These guests were travelling the the same people that posted the below review, 'needs a major makeover'.

As per my respnse to the below review, Not ONE single complaint was made during thier stay with us and it is clear that both parties has discussed what they intended to write about the hotel.

I would like to say that travelling times etc are nothing to do with the hotel and Newmarket do also do other tours in the area and do not just attend Heligan & Eden, however the Heligan & Eden Tours are very popular and generally get a very good response. Just to put into perspective we have had this particular tour in for the last 6 weekends (between 50-90 guests a time) and these were the only 2 that have complained - to a computer screen rather than the hotel may I add. We do clearly have a sign displayed in our reception area that states ' if you are happy with your stay please tell trip advisor, if you you are not please tell us, if we are not aware of any issues we cannot resolve them'.

It was not possible to have hot water as the hot water is on demand!!

Regards

M Lyons

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here with Newmarket travel for three nights. Food was dreadful cheap poor quality had to choose food in the morning for the Eve and it was still awful. No tea or coffee served at table and to go to bar and pay £1.00 and it was dreadful coffee. Staff in restaurant Billy was polite and did his best. The whole place is in need of decorating dark and dreary it was like being in some sort of institution rather than a holiday place. No porter service when we arrived had to drag luggage up and our room which was very small and dreary and no shower only a hand held one no bath mat no shower curtain and towels only changed at a charge. In fact everything was extra at a charge notices everywhere like being at school. Old radiator in room for heating which came on at odd times no knobs to control it. Hard lumpy bed and old pillows and very noisy from other rooms just people moving about shutting doors and from outside on a noisy road. Good points one night of entertainment which was a singer who was good and the sheets and towels were clean. Have never stayed in such a poor quality hotel. Will not be booking with Newmarket holidays again!!

4 Thank shutterman
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
MUST READ FOR POTENTIAL GUESTS
Dear Reviewer
At this point I usually take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a review, however on this particular review I would like to ask why is it that NO problems were reported throughout your stay???? Instead you feel the need to post a damming review about the hotel with the hotel given no chance to rectify any of your supposed 'issues'?!
I would also like other potential guests to take 5 mins and read the other review that you posted on another hotel in Harrogate just 2-3 weeks ago; where most of the comments match those made about Seascape? Please see the reviewers other review.
I also spoke to my waiter Billy which they did compliment and again he received nothing but compliments during this tour!?
To me it seems that they clearly go out their way to give hotels a bad name without any real reason or substance!
To refer to the hotel as an 'institution' rather than a holiday place is absolutely appalling and extremely discriminative as some of the other guests who stayed with us during their stay where in fact disabled, I'm sorry but when has it been acceptable to speak so horrendously about people less fortunate than yourselves???
Like most homes/hotels throughout the country our heating system works on a TIMER so therefore the heating came on between the hrs of 6am - 9am and 4pm - 8pm, if this is odd times maybe I need to go back to school??
I do hope that the other readers of this review will in fact disregard it, as the guest was clearly unfairly portraying the hotel and like I said been very discriminative towards their fellow guests. You only need to read all our other recent reviews on Seascape to see that this was a one-off. I do hope that these people stop booking holidays and stop going out their way to ruin not only the hotels reputation but also that of the tour companies which they also insist on displaying! Clearly they are after some sort of refund or reduction for their next holiday! (Good luck with that!!)

Regards

M Lyons
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I live in exeter but recently my nan was on a weekend coach holiday to Torquay when she got taken ill with a stroke and was quite poorly. The staff here at the seascape looked after he really well and were so helpful and understanding. I arrived as soon as I could and was very thankful that she was in such good, caring hands. Thank you to all of you for being wonderful. :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy L
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased that you felt we dealt with your nans illness well throughout her stay with us, as we are a family run business we do look at our guests as our extended family, and look after them how we would like to to looked after ourselves! :))

Thank you again and i do hope that your nan is recovering well.

Michelle Lyons
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Rainbow International Hotel
#10 of 11 in Exmouth
Hotel Burlington
Hotel Burlington
#86 of 88 in Torquay

Been to Seascape Hotel? Share your experiences!