“Beds could have been better”
Review of Seascape Hotel

Seascape Hotel
Ranked #57 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel was clean and staff friendly, meals on the basic side, no salads but on the whole okay. The hotel itself is a bit of a warren with lots of stairs and corridors but that all added to the atmosphere, the staff on the other hand were very friendly, we had a waiter named Ryan who was very helpful. I had a twin room, one bed was rock hard the other you could feel the springs so ended up sleeping on top of the duvet, the room it's self was spotless, the en suite was fine, hot shower and again spotlessly clean. Tea and coffee in the room. One item usually when I've stopped at other hotels have been served tea or coffee after dinner, if you wanted drinks they were served in bar you had to pay for them. The entertainment was murder mystery by the Candle light theatre group, they were fantastic great evening. On the whole had a great time except for the bed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Michelle L, General Manager at Seascape Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry that you found the bed to be uncomfortable; until this is brought to our attention we are not aware if there is any problems with the beds. As soon as we know there is an issue we do our utmost to resolve it, by turning the mattress or infact replacing it should it need it.
Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness we do have an excellent housekeeping team that work tirelessly to maintain the high standards.
We do serve tea and coffee in the bar at a small charge of £1.00 per cup as the coach companies now only request a 3 x course dinner. On a murder mystery weekends we also find that this is very beneficial to get the theatre company to carry on the plot in the main bar.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We returned yesterday from a 3 day break at the Seascape on a Murder Mystery weekend with Just Go. First impressions of the hotel are that everywhere looks clean and fresh, the public rooms are warm and comfortable and the restaurant is spacious, we didn`t see any tables that looked too close together and it appeared that wherever you were seated you would not get hemmed in.
Our double room was more than adequate for our short stay, the room itself wasn`t that large but there was plenty of storage space to put everything and a lovely flat screen tv and hospitality tray for our use. We wanted to hire a remote control for the tv but reception were busy and we were told to come back after the evening meal, but we went out after dinner and by the time we got back there was nobody around so we managed with the manual controls but it would have been nice if a remote control was available initially.
The bathroom was ok, small but very clean but no shower curtain and no bath mat to step out of the bath onto so we had to use one of the hand towels, but the water was always piping hot and that for us was the main thing. The bed was very comfortable, quite firm which is suitable for me and although we were at the front of the hotel, there was no noise from outside as the hotel is situated a little way from the centre, but close enough to walk to the town or the harbour for most people. Anyone with walking difficulties would be advised to take a bus especially for the journey back as it is mostly uphill.
The entertainment for the murder mystery was very good, the theatre company arrived during dinner at 7pm and the players mingled themselves amongst the guests answering questions to enable us to establish characteristics about each one of them and later to try and solve who committed the `murder`. Apart from the entertainment value of the evening, it gave us coach passengers the opportunity of getting to know each other as we discussed clues amongst us.
We got a choice of menu for each meal which was ok but no salads were on the menu or cheese and biscuits for dessert, both of which I usually choose when I have stayed at other hotels, but the food I did have was good and came in adequate portions. My only criticism of the breakfast was that you could choose a full English breakfast that consisted of bacon, sausage, egg, fried bread, plus 2 accompaniments that changed daily, the first morning it was hash brown and beans, and the next morning it was hash brown and tomato. As I do not eat meat, I asked for 2 poached eggs with fried bread, hash brown and beans the first day, but only got 1 egg which I thought a bit mean seeing as I wasn`t having bacon or sausage, but didn`t say anything as I filled up with the round of toast that was provided along with the meal, but then the next day, I decided to just have poached eggs on toast for my breakfast which consisted of one round of toast on the plate along with 2 poached eggs, but when the toast was placed on the table there was only one round of toast given to my partner along with his full English meal. I assume that as I was having poached eggs on toast, that round of toast must have been the one I would have been given if I had chosen to have the fried bread and hash brown with my eggs instead, so I wasn`t able to have buttered toast along with my partner afterwards, but apart from that, the entire stay was quite pleasant and I would not mind staying here again at some time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmtigercrewe

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for posting your review. I am pleased that you found the staff to be efficient and welcoming.
After the reception closes in the evening there is notice to state that if you require any assistance to go to the bar, as they have the remotes for anybody that requires them or to provide any other service. There is always someone on call 24hrs a day.
I am pleased also to see your rave reviews about the candlite theatre company, they are excellent and the murder mystery weekends sell very well and so far we have not had one disappointed guest, so any future guests looking to book on the murder mystery weekends definitely should without hesitation.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My mum and l stayed at the sea scape for a 5 day break,We were in room 30 facing front of hotel,even though we faced the road we never heard the traffic and slept very well in comfortable beds.The Room was clean and adiqet for our needs.The staff are very helpful and friendly,The food served in the dinning room was always hot and a good selection of choice.Our waiter David,was very friendly and Profectional in his manner.The Hotel is well situated,being very near the shops and the bus stops.and a short walk to the beach.This was our first time in Torquay and at the Seascape,we loved every minuet and would come back again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank angelsun_12

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and a very positive one at that. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your holiday from the food to the service received for all the staff.

We do hope that this certainly won’t be your only visit to Torquay as we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just got back from this hotel and want to say how nice and friendly the staff there are.
Nothing was too much trouble. The food served on the dining room was always hot and fresh and delicious.
Staff in the dining room were really efficient and our waiter Steven was very friendly
Beds were very very comfortable (thank goodness you have switched to duvets as opposed to blankets.) Our room was serviced every day..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank margaretlilian

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased that you felt the staff were friendly and efficient. Thank you also for your comments about Steve - I know he has read them too! :)

We do hope that you will come and see us again in the near future.

Many Thanks & Kindest Regards

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This so called 2 star hotel (I have been in better ungraded B&B's) is on a busy(ish) road, with no forecourt to get off the coach. The room I was in was clean, but showing traces of damp in the en-suite (flaking and bubbling paint) with a handheld shower over the bath (no method of attaching it to the wall) The water from the hot tap was warm at best (the only day it was HOT was Thursday). As other reviewers have mentioned the floors squeak every time someone goes past (despite loads of screws being put in), Food, small portions, frozen veg, and order your evening meal after breakfast, (My personal opinion is get rid of the serving staff, saving wages, and make meals self-service buffet style). Also as others have mentioned, loads of notices everywhere, and charging for tea or coffee after evening meal (and if you need refills for the tray in the bedroom). Internet is available FREE, in a room downstairs (This is the 21st Century, most people with computers or tablets like to use them in the room not carry it through the hotel). The hotel also seem to be very proud of an award they won in 2004, 10 yrs ago, maybe then it deserved it, don't think it is award winning now. Will I be back NO Thanks

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank 19phil50

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. We are aware that the hotel is placed on a road which is why the coaches pull up directly outside the hotel reception to load and unload the guests at ALL times. Guests are not expected to walk to the coach park at any time for Their health & safety, we also get the drivers to sign a form upon arrival that states that the coach must be brought round for the collection of the guests at all times!
Hand-held showers are infact hand-held showers which is pretty self explanatory so therefore there will be no fitment for them to attach to the walls as the are there for use whilst in the bath!?!
The veg is delivered fresh on 3 x times a week so therefore is not frozen, with the exception of the peas of course.
We will not be getting rid of the waiting staff as they do a very good job and provide an excellent service, most holidaymakers prefer to relax and be looked after during their meal times.
We where awaiting a new WIFI device so that the WIFI could be moved to the public area upstairs, which has, now arrived and been installed, but during the wait we still provided the service.
I also think that leaning out of a toilet window and taking photos inside of an used toilet that has no entry clearly displayed on the wall to upload some damming photos is very poor form!
The fact that you wouldn’t return suits us nicely as we do not want such people in the hotel that try and ruin it for the other guests!!

Regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

After reading previous reviews I was expecting a pleasant stay at the Seascape hotel but I was disappointed. Maybe it was because we had asked for a sea view room and yes, it was a lovely view but my, was it a chilly one! As soon as we entered the room I thought a window was open but it was just badly fitted windows and as the hotel is quite high up on a hill it was exposed to the chilly winds. The central heating was not operating so there was no relief there. The warmest place was in bed! The room was also very small with hardly any room to get round the bed. The mirror was in a stupid place, right next to the window but inaccessible due to the shape of the room. There was a TV on the dressing table which was screwed down so I was not able to get to see into the mirror properly. The en suite was so tiny and the washbasin was so small. When you sat on the loo the towels were almost hanging in it. There was no bath mat to catch the drips and there was a notice on the wall which said if you wanted a fresh towel every day it would cost you 50p per towel. We had to hand in a £10 returnable deposit for the TV remote so there must have been some very dishonest previous guests if this was necessary. The food was good and the service in the restaurant was also good so no complaints there. The receptionist was also very helpful when we asked for information about the trains. There were also two good entertainment nights in the small cabaret room.

Room Tip: I can't recommend the room we stayed in (no 4) and as I did not see any other rooms I cannot com...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank t0andfr0

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your review, however this is the 1st time ever that anyone has ever commented on the fitting of the windows? The windows are all double glazed, there will be a draft upon arrival if they are open as you said they were, this is what windows are for, however once shut there will be no draft. I also fail to see how it was so chilly at the beginning May?? Again there was no mention of this during your stay?

The ensuites are just that ensuites, not large family bathrooms as you have at home. You are only charged for towels if you want them changing DAILY!
The £10 refundable deposit is just that REFUNDABLE so therefore not really worth a mention.

I am pleased that you found the service in both the restaurant and the reception to be very good.

Thank you for your comments towards the entertainment, that we hold in our bar, which I may add, holds 100+ guests.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Party Booking for a group of mainly older people. Seascape staff were very helpful, pleasant and cheerful, nothing too much trouble. Staff saw my mum had a walker and offered to change her room to a more accessible one straight away without being asked. The hotel was clean, food was nice and although it was only a weekend stay, the staff were like long standing friends by the time we were due to depart.
On the downside, some rooms had very creeky floorboards and one lady said her mattress springs were uncomfortable. Don't shower too early as water will be cold.

But as a party organiser, I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ring beforehand and let them know your requirements, I am sure they will try and accommodate if they...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pamela M

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to hear that you and your party enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff welcomed you as friends.

As I have said before we are working on the floorboards but it is a big place and takes a lot of screws :)).

Thank you for your recommendation.

Many Thanks & Kindest Regards