“What a view”

Ranked #29 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What a view”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Having seen some amazing views all around the world, this has to be the best.

The hotel is nothing that you would expect to find overlooking the sea. It would be more appropriate next to the Royal Crescent in Bath - it is that type of building.

Appearances in this case are everything. The sun, sea and view are fantastic. Add to this the feeling of being in the Mediterranean, eating outdoors on a large sun terrace where the tables are intermittently spaced so you can have your own conversation without listening to everyone else, and being overheard by all and sundry.

The food was great - inexpensive, not cheap. The staff friendly and attentive, but discreet.

The restaurant in the evening was as equally impressive - busy, but comfortable. The staff are obviously accustomed to dealing with large numbers of diners. I couldn't fault their friendliness, efficiency and professionalism.

Our room, with a balcony and overlooking the sea was spotlessly clean and comfortably furnished. The upgrade to a suite with a balcony was definitely value for money - I would have paid far more abroad, without the style and comfort I experienced here.

Why go abroad when you have such a delightful hotel here.

Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so welcome and enjoyable - we will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clive1595

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

What a beautiful place to spend a absolutly glorious week in the sunshine. Because we had such beautiful weather, everything was just perfect. The setting of the hotel is beautiful. Absolutely georgous views of the sea and Brixham from the hotel. Such a very, very impressive building. We stayed in one of the timeshare appartments, which was lovely. On the top floor, so the views were magnificent. The appartment was well equipped, and such a lovely layout. We did not eat in the hotel, we went in to Torquay for all our evening meals. The breakfast in the hotel was a bit pricey, £11.50 for a full english. The only slight downside for us, was the fact that it was such a big hill to climb to get in to Torquay. So most nights we had a Taxi (around £5.00). We did walk it a couple of times, taking around about 10 mins. Not such a distance really, but having had such nice weather, it was quite hot to walk. The pool at the hotel was lovely, and we spent most of our time sunbathing there. As we were self catering in the appartment, it was brilliant because we did our sandwiches for lunch and a cool bag full of wine, beer and cider, and had our lunch by the swimming pool every day excrept one. The pool staff were very good and efficient, helping you with your sun beds and always willing to help. Meadifoot beach was just down a path from the hotel. There was a beach cafe there, prices were quite reasonable. What really makes this hotel is the beautiful panoramic views of the sea and surrounding coastal areas, which we could take full advantage of as the weather was so beautiful. The only food we had at the hotel was the deserts. Which were very good. The terrace bar was very comfortable, and again the views were brilliant as you were sitting sipping your glass of wine. So all, in all, a lovely break, but the hot weather certainly made the holiday, and this hotel had the facilities to make sure you enjoyed it. I would recommend it as a place to stay (from a self-catering point of view), and the only slight downside was the up-hill trek in to Toquay, or paying the cost of a taxi.

Room Tip: Any room on the front would be good... but the higher the floor, the better the view I think.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank BrendaJeanJones
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My wife and I were due to stay at an 1 bed RCI timeshare in Devon and the day before RCI informed us it was overbooked. They offered a 2 bed unit at the Osborne Club Hotel as an alternative. The reviews for the Osborne club are mixed so we were afraid a last minute booking would be a less desirable back room. In fact we had a very nice ground floor unit at the front of the hotel - it looked recently totally refurbished - super big lounge, a small fully equiped kitchen, 2 big bedrooms and bathroom/toilet. The outlook from the lounge was wonderfull - a panoramic view across Torquay bay. Free WiFi in the room was a nice extra. We spent all our time away from the hotel visiting the many National Trust and English Heritage sites within easy driving distance, but the resort facilities looked nice enough - outdoor, indoor pools, spacious terrace and terrace bar under canvass, lawns and gardens slooping done to the beach road far below. Parking was tight but always a space somewhere. We ate at the Hotel brasserie restaurant one evening and were disappointed - we expected chef prepared options but looked like the main items were from the freezer. Essential to use Sat Nav with great care in Devon and Cornwall - know where the main roads are otherwise you will be sent down very narrow country lanes with few passing points - be ready to backup 100s of yards. The other warrning is the topography - Torquay and many of the coastal towns in Devon are very hilly and tough for walking.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the hotel - to overlook the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank awjdoctortony
LONDON
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We can relate to the earlier review hilighting where it could be so much better, especially he reception and bar area, the latter is such a waste of space....the last time we stayed it was competely empty, as it was this time.

That said I think our one night away was reasonable value for money. £119 bed and breakfast, or £159 with dinner for both of us. The last time we stayed here a few years ago, the dinner was great, some opted for the latter.

Dinner was ok, the risotto starters very pleasant in particular. Mains were ok but nothing special. But it was the desserts that really let the side down: a trio of mini raspberry desserts and a mango cheesecake. The 'trio' was absolutely and utterly tasteless, if you did a blind tasting I defy anyone to identify what they were meant to be. They looked white pretty, but we're obviously bought in, because there is no way a chef cold have tasted them and still served them. Tasteless and synthetic, we obviously left them. And the mango cheesecake was marginally better. Even then I was surprised to see only 2 other couples left in the restaurant @ 21.15 on a Saturday night.

Service was friendly in the main, although on the terrace we did have trouble being understood, and had to repeat our request several times.

Room seemed to have been recently refurbished, clean and pleasant enough, it could have been a room in any modern hilton, best western or similar chain. Disappointed that a 4 star hotel only had polyester pillows......"we don't do feather pillows" was the response from reception.

Breakfast ok, ingredients of rather a poor quality. I have to compare my last stay in a hotel where for £99 B&B, the room was chic and contemporary, and the breakfast first class, all sourced from renowned farm shops. And the dinner was fabulous.

The terrace and front aspect of the hotel, with pool, is lovely, especially on a warm and sunny day. All in all we were happy to have 24hrs to ourselves whilst nanna and grandad babysat at home, so it would have taken a lot more than a hotel that essentially just needs some thought and investment to make it special. But it could be fabulous, maybe it was once.

Would we stay again? We'd probably try somewhere else, taxi driver recommended 'linkin park' (sp?) just up the road.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MARKDL995
london
Reviewed 27 June 2013

another great stay for us all. super food, lovely swimming pools, fantastic views and first class service. the only downside is we don't want to leave. I big thank you to Carlos for his help and advice on our day trips, packed lunches and his care and attention. :).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I’m loathe to criticise this hotel too much as it is almost certainly the best hotel in Torquay, but then most of the hotels in Torquay are pretty poor. If you were to compare this hotel on price of room alone, then it’s in the same category as Hotel Du Vin, and it’s nowhere near the level of sophistication of this chain.

I’ve stayed in literally dozens of Torquay B&Bs and pretty much all of the largest hotels. This is because my ex-wife moved to Torquay with my children 11 years ago and as I live in East Anglia, the only way I can see them is to stay over a weekend. So I’m reasonably well qualified in terms of Torquay accommodation.

A week ago, I stayed at the Osborne, for the third time since I’ve been going to Torquay. It’s an impressive building and on this trip (I haven't been there for quite some time) it was nice to see the refurbishment finished. The view from the hotel is wonderful; when the weather is right, the view almost lives up to the English Riviera moniker, which sadly has become something of a joke today. The facade of the building is magnificent and now looks pristine. I can’t help feel though that the entrance could be grander.
Parking at the front is always an issue, but what’s not immediately obvious is that the hotel has a large overflow car-park at the rear. The entrance is just to the left of the main entrance gate.

The biggest issue with this hotel, and it’s a real shame, is the thoughtless interior design/decor. The immediately obvious issue is the lobby, which could be so much better. It’s the first thing you see when you arrive. Some large leather sofas (Edwardian style, not DFS bargain basement), some large plants and a large oak check-in desk would elevate the ambience of the area and provide an impressive first impression. The bar-room in particular is a shocking waste of a huge, high-ceiling room with massive potential. What a bar they could have put in here. Instead, it looks like the kind of bar Del Boy would have in the corner of his flat. The beer (bitter, and the only one on offer) is also appallingly bad and I simply couldn’t drink it. The entire room is vacant and characterless. Particularly bad are the cheap and entirely inappropriate window dressings, which applies to most other rooms. I suspect that this is all due to budget constraints. However, Torquay lacks a large, sophisticated bar and this room could be readily turned into one. I’m sure that with the right interior design, it would attract people from far and wide and pay for itself over a couple of years. As it was, when we went in, we were the only people in there. We also had to track down the bar tender ourselves. In the event I couldn’t drink my beer and we felt such a lack of atmosphere that we went outside. Whilst the view from there across the bay was lovely, we couldn’t stay as it was just too cold, even with the heaters on. We also felt that it was grubby out there. A few dropped crisps and nuts and the odd fag end. The tables had been quickly wiped with a wet cloth and had that awful smeared dirty water look about them. Not nice. What a shame.
The room was a surprise. A significant improvement on last time I stayed. A lovely view from the window and the pair of binoculars provided was a nice touch. A quality bed in which we had a good night’s sleep was also appreciated. The room had a quality feel to it that I haven’t seen anywhere else in Torquay. However, the style of the furniture wasn’t in accordance with the general feeling of this Edwardian (or maybe it’s Georgian, I don’t know) building. It had a cheap look to it.
Sadly, the bathroom let the entire room down. The toilet roll holder was coming off the wall. The toilet seat was almost off and I had to force it back into position. The toilet was next to impossible to flush. I had to resort to filling the plastic bin insert with water and throwing it down the loo! The shower bar (the rod that holds the shower head) was also parting company with the wall. The shower curtain (why not put up a glass panel?) was dirty and smelled acrid, making the whole bathroom an unattractive place to be. Also, why do they even make those shower-heads with the tiny holes that generate needle-sharp jets of water? Is it just to keep water usage low? With the reasonable amount of pressure coming out of this particular shower, I found this unpleasant, and there was no adjustment available.
Finally, breakfast. We stood at the entrance for an age before anyone seated us and the restaurant was only 20% full. We then waited even longer for our order to be taken and then another age for it to be delivered to us. We could hear people around us complaining about the slow service, it really was quite poor and I wonder what it would be like when it’s busy. Two other things that many Torquay hotels seem to do is to serve fruit juice that is of extremely low quality (the grapefruit juice I had was like battery acid) and to put small wrapped pats of butter on the table. For me, it just lowers the tone. Serve butter in small bowls and serve small jars of quality confiture – it lifts the standard somewhat.
On check-out, I complained about the bathroom and the manager knocked off my £10 bar bill (including the beer I couldn’t drink anyway) but I would have appreciated a reduction of £50 in the circumstances – I don’t expect to have to throw buckets of water down the loo.
Bottom line is that we walked away saying “Well, I suppose we’ll never stay there again”.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IvorReview
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

As someone who is from Torquay originally and who travels back regularly I always try and stay at the Osborne if it is available. It is in a fantastic spot with beautiful views over the bay from its lovely garden terrace. The staff make it for me they are excellent and friendly. The restaurant serves good food. The hotel has recently upgraded its inland rooms and having in stayed in 4 different ones since they did this I can say that they are all tastefully done and very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business