All reviews terrace bar sea view time share meadfoot beach outdoor pool junior suite on arrival third floor english riviera superb location lovely hotel kippers dining room breakfast menu each evening buffet style first class
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I stayed here in early July but have not been able to write before now.
Stayed for a special occasion, the terrace bar was very nice and probably the saving grace of this establishment. It was spoiled however by a large drunken group who sat in the entrance with a big dog that barred peoples access, staff were too busy fawning over the loud mouthed lady at the centre of this group and joining in the banter to attend to the need of everyone else so there was a long wait for service.

The Indoor pool has clean water or should I say clear water!!! The pool area was disgustingly filthy with holes in the ceiling that made you feel as if it would collapse at any second, had wads of human hair stuck to one pillar, light/heat bulbs needed replacing and it had no locks on the lockers. Also Reception could have saved me a trip and explained on arrival that you got towels from them before I went down and couldn’t find any.

The Crescent Restaurant is a failure, I booked a table at Reception to be told when attending that they had no record of it. A simple rump steak involved my having to pay a surcharge!! For what? Presumably so they can buy better meat next time round.

The female waitress was either uncaring or intentionally rude. Having advised them of a food I wanted excluded from my meals, as I could/would not eat it she proceeded to give it to me in both courses and told me to eat it as it "would be good for me".
So if you have a food allergy beware.
I fail to see how this restaurant has any stars let alone two and have written to Michelin requesting it is reassessed .
The Hotel was going through some form of refurbishment during my stay, clearly it has seen better days, somehow I doubt it will see them again.

Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank aab967
Reviewed 10 August 2017

This probably used to be a beautiful hotel, perfectly located overlooking the sea. The outside of the building is beautiful, but the inside looks more like a cheap 3 stars, with a very small lobby, narrow corridors, a cheap elevator, etc. The rooms have been recently refurbished and are acceptable, but the bathroom was old, low standing, and inconvenient. On a positive note, the restaurant was serving good food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The location of this hotel is beautiful overlooking meadfoot bay. There is a lovely outdoor terrace area serving drinks which on a warm day is very pleasant The rooms themselves have been recently refurbished and very comfortable. The bedroom corridors are old and tired but that's fine.

However the big issue for us was the lack of a lounge or seating area available. Other than four or five chairs in the small reception area at the entrance to the restaurant, there was no where to sit! This area was quite basic and not suitable for catering for the needs of a 30 + room hotel! It was also next to the main entrance door so was often cold. There seemed to have been a another area closed off that may have once been a lounge but we were told this is being renovated into a function room for weddings etc . I would expect in a four star hotel to have somewhere to sit, relax and order a cup of coffee. On a cold day you are stuck in your bedroom if you don't want to go out. In addition on an evening after dinner there is no where to sit and have a drink or relax and as the hotel is not near any other bars or restaurants, there is no alternative than to go back to your room. Not ideal when you are on holiday with other family members - we resorted to having to take a drink to one of our bedrooms or get a taxi to the Grand Hotel in the town and use their beautiful large lounge and bar area.!! I should say, there is a small bar at the Osbourne, in the restaurant area in a corner with a few high bar seats but they are not suitable for elderly people. I cannot see how this hotel can have been given a four star rating with no lounge facilities - It's such a shame as the restaurant food was excellent both at dinner and breakfast and the staff in there lovely. The pictures of the hotel give you the impression it is a large impressive hotel but with no indoor communal space it was sadly lacking for us I am afraid.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Nickysunshine
Reviewed 2 August 2017

We had a great stay, friendly staff, food was excellent, clean room. Hotel is about 15 mins walk from harbour and about £4.20 taxi ride. Barrista coffee for breakfast and lovely cocktails. Views across Torbay are stunning and close to a quiet beach.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsTT2011
Reviewed 30 July 2017

This hotel is absolutely amazing! So lucky to have chosen it as we didn't know Torquay at all before coming. Surely the best hotel around. Superb location. Sea views unbeatable. Wonderful outdoor swimming pool overlooking the sea!! We were in a truly luxury family room on the 3rd floor and pulling back the curtains in the morning to look out onto the most breath taking sea view was indescribable. The staff were, everyone of them, so pleasant, polite, helpful. You couldn't ask for more. And the breakfasts were delicious! We will definitely be returning. We didn't want to leave. Thank you so much. Couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: Sea view, 3rd floor
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family