“Elegant sitting rooms & exellent terraces....”
Review of The Meadfoot Bay

The Meadfoot Bay
Ranked #5 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
JAC72
“Elegant sitting rooms & exellent terraces....”
Reviewed 30 September 2007

I stayed here with my family for 4 nights for my brothers wedding weekend. I wanted it to be special, and he had reccomended it. It is a little more 'special' than the usual small B&B/Hotel. Alot of effort and style has gone into the place. The sitting rooms are very elegant and a beautiful place to sit when you have a spare moment (after/before breakfast). If you ask when booking about the rooms that have easy access to the terraced area/balconies. Again, time and effort on designing a lovely area to sit and soak up the sun and calm of the area. It's a few mins walk to the nearest and nicest quiet un-spoilt beach where there is a cute cafe to get a drink or snack (we even had breakfast there 3 out of 4 mornings to save money - and it was good value and fresh while you waited). being out of season it was quiet, but I'm sure at peak it is still a great place to stay. The owners are friendly and make you really feel welcome. It might be a few extra pounds but worth it!
the ONLY downfall was our room was a little small for the 2 of us, but for the time we were in it it didnt really bother us.

• Liked — sitting room decor and terraced area behind rooms
  • Disliked — small rooms, probably not up to standard of decor of downstairs rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank JAC72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Ipswich
Reviewed 12 September 2007

We stayed at The Meadfoot Bay towards the end of August. We decided to book a last minute getaway and fortunately we were able to book a room as the guest house had a cancellation a few minutes before I called. We stayed here a few years ago when we attended a friends wedding and can confirm that the new owners have done a wonderful job refurbishing. We stayed in a standard double room on the second floor and could not have been happier. Our room was spacious, modern and even had access to an outside terraced area. The Guest house is spotlessly clean throughout and our room was gleaming every day. Probably the cleanest guesthouse that we have ever stayed in! The guest house is family run and very professional. We were made to feel extremely welcome and a big thank you to Gary, Chris & Caroline for all their fantastic efforts, truly great hosts. We look forward to returning there next year.

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank MichelleNeils
Newport, South Wales
Reviewed 4 September 2007

My partner & i stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend. On arrival we were really happy as the hotel looked beautiful & as most of the reviews were very complimentry i was lookinhg forward to staying there.

However i was really gutted when we were shown our room. It was like a small cupboard & there was no space to move around.

My partner is only 6 ft but he keep hitting his head on the bedroom door as it was so low. The shower was really poor as you had to hold it over you & when we put our bags on top of the wardrobe they were covered in dirt.

I cannot fault the commual areas but when you book a 4 star hotel you expect your room to be at the same standard as the rest of the property.

I'm sure the upgraded rooms (£25 pppn extra) were lovely but when booking a standard room please be aware as it isn't worth paying £58 per night without breakfast.

• Liked — COMMUNAL AREAS
  • Disliked — bedroom - small & dirty
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank cez
dorripleb, Manager at The Meadfoot Bay, responded to this review, 16 October 2007
We are extremely disappointed to receive this review and to read that the guests who stayed, were not completely satisfied with their room. We are a small family run business who took over the guest house in May 2006. The guest house since then has been completely refurbished. We have just been regraded by the AA and have obtained the 4 star guest accommodation with commendation (that puts us in the top 10% of all 4 star establishments).
We try our hardest to ensure that our guests are 100% satisfied with their stay and go the extra mile to ensure this happens. We feel that it is important to receive feedback whether good or bad as it helps to address any problems that we are not aware of. In this case, I feel the review is not a true reflection of our standards and not a true reflection of the thoughts of the vast majority of guests that stay at The Meadfoot Bay.

I feel I need to clarify a few things to anyone who reads this review. The guests who submitted this review did stay over the August Bank Holiday and were a very nice couple and very friendly. The information they failed to put in their review however was that they booked through an internet booking agency and not directly through ourselves. They booked their stay at the last minute and received our final double room that we had available on a room only basis as the August Bank Holiday is possibly the busiest weekend of the year here in Torquay.

I will address the points in the review that I feel are incorrect.

1)“It was like a small cupboard”
As I wrote above the couple received our last double room available. The room is not like a small cupboard at all. It is larger than the minimum guidelines set out by the AA. The AA states that a double room should be a minimum of 90 square feet in total. The room in question is 96 square feet. The ensuite is a further 48 square feet.
2)“My partner is only 6ft but he kept hitting his head on the bedroom door as it was so low”
I am 6ft 2inches tall and have never hit my head on the top of the bedroom door or even come close so this comment confuses me.
3) “The Shower was really poor as you hold it over you”
The shower is not poor, the pressure in fact is very high. For the room in question it has a bath with a shower over. A lot of Hotels and Guest Houses in England offer a bath with a shower over to be able to accommodate for both guests who would like a shower but also for guests that prefer a bath.
3)“We put our bags on top of the wardrobe they were covered in dirt”
I would like to ensure anyone who has read this review that dirt would never ever be found in our rooms. Perhaps the word should have been dust? I inspected the room after seeing this review and can confirm that the top of the wardrobe was a little dusty. This surprised me as we employ a head housekeeper whose duties involve checking there is no dust on any surface. Because of the review we have taken action and reprimanded the member of staff responsible. I would therefore like to apologise to the reviewer for the small amount of dust but will not accept the dirt comment.
4)“Upgraded Rooms (£25.00 pppn extra)
To upgrade to our superior rooms costs £20.00pppn
To upgrade to our superior deluxe rooms costs £25.00pppn
To upgrade to our St Andrews Suite costs £30.00 pppn

Along with the points I have made above I would also like to point out that at no point of the guests stay were we made aware of any problems that they were having or of any feelings towards their room. If this level of dissatisfaction had been communicated to us and substantiated we would have tried to find them alternative accommodation that better matched their aspirations. Lastly I would make the point again that this review is not the perception of the majority of guests that stay here. All of our reviews have been written by paying guests who have stayed here – without us prompting to do so.