Almost every hotel in Torquay is small and independent, so choosing one can feel like a lottery. Picking the Meadfoot Bay felt like winning the lottery. The rooms - particularly the newly-refurbished superior rooms - are absolutely immaculate in every respect: really comfortable beds, great bathrooms and so many little extras - an umbrella, really good tea- and coffee-making facilities, a massive television with DVD player, free wireless internet, to name but a few - that they made a real difference to the overall experience.
The hotel is a bit of a hilly 15-minute walk into town, and the temptation to drive or take a taxi is sometimes strong - but it's nice to have the peace and quiet of being that little bit removed. It's also just a few minutes from a lovely little beach, with pretty walks around the nearby headland available too. The gardens of the hotel have been converted into a series of little terraces, with seating available to enjoy the sun or a drink from the bar.
The included breakfast is excellent: a full cooked breakfast to your specification, and all the usual toast and cereal. As with all the service here, nothing is too much trouble.
The small scale of the hotel mostly works in its favour - it has about 17 or 18 double or twin rooms (and children are - hurrah! - not welcome). That said, the tiny car park can be challenging (I recommend parking on the road and saving yourself the effort), the rooms are not vast (not surprising, given it's a converted property) and the feel is still very much of a guest house, albeit a very good one. While the Meadfoot Bay is great, don't come expecting every amenity you'd expect of a full service hotel - there's no room service, no business centre, and no annoying idiots in suits yelling into their mobile phones.
The bottom line is that, were we to go to Torquay again, we'd stay at the Meadfoot Bay - and with several hundred (or so it seems) hotels in the town to choose from, that's high praise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Meadfoot Bay is an award-winning family run Bed & Breakfast situated in the stunning conservation area of Meadfoot, just a stroll from Meadfoot Beach and a short walk from Torquay harbour. There is a large selection of different room types available including our Classic Rooms, Premier Rooms, Deluxe Rooms and our 3 gorgeous Suites. We have just won the AA Breakfast Award for our breakfast which is prepared using all local produce and everything cooked to order to guarantee freshness. After 9 years constant refurbishment and hard work The Meadfoot Bay has been awarded the Highly Commended Award by The AA. As a result we have proudly achieved a place in the top 10% of our 4 star guest accommodation rating. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you to The Meadfoot Bay in the near future. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Meadfoot Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Meadfoot Bay Hotel Torquay
- Meadfoot Bay Torquay
- Meadfoot Bay Hotel Torquay
- The Meadfoot Bay Torquay, Devon