The Meadfoot Bay
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$117
Marquis Hotel(Torquay)
US$126
US$145
PremierInn.com
All reviewssignature suitedecanter of sherryon arrivalspa bathprivate terracefamily run hotelcooked breakfastdeluxe roomcold meatswet roomwelcome drinkfantastic stayhigh standardfull englishbreakfast was amazingsmall hotellovely hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed two nights at the Meadfoot Bay Hotel, at first we were a little disappointed about the location - it's close to the town centre but is up a slightly steep hill. But it turned out rather lucky as Torquay can get quite busy at night so it's nice the hotel is a little out of the way but still relatively close.

The hotel is family run, the staff were all so welcoming, extremely friendly and helpful. We had our bags taken to our room and given lots of useful information about Torquay and offered 10% off vouchers for local restaurants.

Our room and whole hotel was spotless and beautifully decorated. The room we had was a reasonable size, the en suite was large with a wet room although the shower wasn't very powerful. The beds were a good size and very comfortable. Breakfast is served 8.30-9.30 but on arrival we were told you can turn up at 9.30 if you wish, there is no rush to leave and be finished by a certain time which I thought was nice.

The breakfast was beautiful with a menu to choose from and a buffet of everything you could possibly wish for at breakfast. All their jams were home made which were gorgeous and available to purchase. The full english breakfast and porridge are second to none, I almost want to go back just for their food.

Overall I have no real complaints and would definitely recommend this hotel - it's lovely for a romantic trip or with family for a relaxing weekend and a reasonable price for the great accommodation and service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice and loved both visits and plan to go back this year..the family that run this hotel are lovely and are welcoming and accomodating. Always stay in the St Andrews suite..it is clean, pretty and has a comfortable bed to sleep on. Jacuzzi is fab too! Top hotel in Torquay..!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2010

OK so some of the pictures of the public areas are very typically 'over the top' hotel of years gone by in decor etc, but don't let that put you off. This is a great hotel and seem to be very, very well run and very well-maintained, better in fact than some of the larger chains I've been in this year. The room wasn't ready after a long drive which was disappointing, and it wasn't as if I was outrageously early. However, it was a nice day and I was happy to go for a half hour walk after the drive. The town is conveniently near, a delightful, smaller beach even nearer, but I prefer the big beach at Torquay I think.

When I returned they said some bulbs had blown and were in the process of changing them: when I've stayed in chains, blown bulbs have stayed just that for the whole stay, so how's that for attention to detail? The only other surprise is that payment is up front which took me aback a little; no great shakes but after a long drive and a forced walk, I found it odd to be charged for my stay there and then. But again, don't let this put you off.

The room I was in was of adequate size for a double, immaculately kept and despite appearances of public areas, tastefully decorated too. I had a lovely decked patio to sit out on, but the adjoining room might find other guests walking across their decked patio for access to the garden. Not a great issue since this is a small friendly hotel and everyone sees everyone at breakfast, which, incidentally, is freshly cooked to order and very nice it is too.

So don't judge on appearances. Whilst the external appearance and public area decor might seem very dated, don't let this put you off. It's a great hotel, very well run, immaculately clean and the proprietors (assumed resident) seem to work extremely hard in making it so.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We have just come back from a visit to Torquay, it wasn’t our first visit but it was our first stay at Meadfoot Bay, after reading some lovely reviews on here we decided to give it a try and were not disappointed.

We had the Valderamma Superior Deluxe Room and it was great, very well laid out and beautifully furnished, there was a real feel of luxury to it with all the little additions, and it was very clean, I loved the soft white bed linen, so comfortable.! The guest house is in such a quite area that we both slept extremely soundly all 3 nights we were there, this of course is helped by the sea air, as the guest house is literally a stones throw from Meadfoot beach which has a lovely little café where you can sit and look out across Torbay. The bathroom and room was cleaned daily and there is an option for having all fresh towels or just leaving the ones you want replacing in the bath so the cleaner knows only to change them and isn’t unnecessarily washing linen, which is very eco-conscious I feel! The outside area is a charming addition to the room, and we did spend some time relaxing out on the swing, it’s very sheltered and we were lucky enough to visit on a sunny weekend and it was positively glorious out there in the sunshine!

All the staff we met were very friendly and accommodating, suggesting places we hadn’t yet visited in the area and there was a definite feel of a well-run family business. Breakfast at the hotel was very good, just what we needed to set us up for a day exploring. The bar area is very plush indeed and a nice place to sit and relax when you just get in from the day out for a coffee and to have a glass of wine before the night out!

We both really enjoyed our stay at Meadfoot Bay, luxurious yet understated, not over the top, with a special feel and very comfortable is the best way to describe it I think, it’s a great quite location, close to town and the beaches. I will definitely be recommending it to my friends and family, in fact I already have to a few! I hope that if you visit Meadfoot Bay you have as good a stay as we did. One thing to point out to others reading the other reviews on tripadvisor it is clear that The Meadfoot Bay is a guest house and not a hotel so the person in a previous email whos reviewed The Meadfoot Bay as a hotel really should have done their research a little better. We will always choose a guest house / luxury B&B over a hotel as you get the personal service and I find not only the standard of accommodation is better but normally cleaner as well.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2010

had a very nice stay at the meadfoot bay .nice friendly owners who take pride in their hotel. excellent breakfast and service,walk into town is pleasent but a bit tireing up hill coming back. try the hole in the wall restaurant great food and on two days a week live singer in the bar area. if you like small and quiet [ 17 rooms i think ] this will suit you.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple