“Great little hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great little hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at the Haytor hotel for a week and really enjoyed our stay there. The room was comfortable and kept spotlessly clean, with little touches like fresh bottles of water left each day, free of charge. Lovely grounds to relax in and enjoy a bottle of Bay's West Country cider after a busy day exploring Devon! Great location, close to all restaurants and bars as well as main harbour area. You will love the breakfast!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

As good as its been on all the other times we called there,will use again.Made very welcome,food great,standard of rooms clean & well decorated,situated nicely away from any noisy night life,good value for money.
Simon & Maria from Swansea.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

The Haytor Hotel has excellent ratings on Trip Advisor so I was expecting something really special but, being honest, I was a bit disappointed. My room (in the new wing) was a bit boxy and not particularly good value for money and the breakfast was pretty bog standard (average Full English, miniature Kelloggs boxes of cereal and pre-portioned jam etc).

The male proprietor was particularly charming but when I asked the woman who checked us in if she'd mind storing 2 small pieces of cheese in the fridge for me (there wasn't a mini-bar in the room) she pulled the kind of face that suggested I'd handed her a turd in a plastic bag. She did oblige but I wouldn't describe it as willingly and I don't think it was *that* unreasonable a request...

The hotel is in an excellent location and the main building and communal areas are very pleasant but if you're looking for a romantic getaway I'd either insist on a room in the main house or look for something else.

Room Tip: Avoid the new wing if possible if you want a room that's more romantic and has character.
2 Thank Lydia H
ChrisnRob, Owner at Haytor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
I am sorry we did not meet this guests' expectations but thank her for the positive comments.
Of the negative points, I reply as follows:-
The room booked was a standard double room and was booked back in February. At the time of this booking, several of our larger premier rooms were available but she decided to book the standard room. Complaints on room sizes can be very subjective. If you are used to a very large bedroom then anything smaller can often feel less comfortable. If a large room with a mini-bar is essential for your stay then maybe a quick phone call could resolve this problem. We do not claim anywhere on our website that our rooms have a mini-bar. We offer a very comfortable licensed lounge and terraces for our guests to enjoy drinks.
Regarding our 'average breakfast': We have a 'help yourself' cold buffet with a large selection of cereals, juices, fresh fruit, berries in season, muffins and yoghurts followed by a large selection of freshly cooked items. Had her comment offered constructive criticism, I would have a clearer idea of what she was expecting. In the 4 years we have been running the Haytor, our breakfasts have always been of a very high standard and received very good comments from our guests.
Cheese and the mini-bar: As far as I am aware, I cannot think of a Hotel anywhere in Torquay that would have a mini-bar in a standard double room. I have spoken to our evening lady whose account differs so there's nothing more I can add except that the cheese was stored for her and apologise if she felt uncomfortable in the way she was treated.
It is always good to receive feedback and constructive criticism is always welcomed. We are always sorry if a guest has an unhappy experience. However, judging from the reviews on Tripadvisor and other websites we are achieving our goal for our guests which is to satisfy the vast majority.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We spent two weeks in Torquay staying at the Haytor Hotel which I chose from its marvelous reviews on trip adviser.

We weren't disappointed. The hotel was everything we had hoped for (and more). The staff were wonderful, the rooms beautifully decorated and clean and the breakfast was the best we have ever had in a hotel.

We would recommend this hotel to all our friends. We had a lovely relaxing stay - a big thank you to Chris, Robert and Jean for looking after us so well.

Judy and Bill
Pudsey
Leeds.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

I prefer self-catering to hotels but I got an unexpected few days off and went back to the Haytor. Chris, the owner made me feel at home, and had lots of information about where to eat, places to visit etc.
My room was really nice, very tranquil and peaceful. And I’d forgotten about the breakfasts! Very generous and accommodating for this vegetarian. And the whole place is spotless.
There was one change – the garden looks lovely and it was a joy to have my tea on the elegant terrace and watch the ducks waddling about the garden! It’s also in a good location, far enough from the seafront to be peaceful and relaxing, but near enough to walk down (about 5 minutes) to get to the shops and cafes.

The perfect place for a break.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Well situated Hotel, 10 minute walk to main area.
Hotel spotless, the breakfast was exceptional ( local fresh produce).
Staff really friendly and helpful, the room was maintained to a high standard, would certainly recommend anyone to try staying here.

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

The hotel is located close to the city centre, has a lovely garden and a corresponding parking lot. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was quite good. However, our dobbel room was dissapointing. It was somewhat small and extreamly badly lit, the bathroom was also small and primitive. Our room was clean, but the staff were not able to clean our room when we were out between 09.30 - 16.00 one of the days. All in all our impression of this hotel is average - and nothing more.

4 Thank JillAndRupert
ChrisnRob, Owner at Haytor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to provide feedback. The room booked was a standard double room with ensuite shower. I am somewhat confused as to 2 of the negative points he has raised. He claims the room is badly lit but there is in fact a ceiling light with 4 bulbs and 2 bedside lamps all of which are in working condition which is more than adequate for this room. Secondly, the 'primitive' bathroom. Again i'm not quiet sure what this means as the room was refurbished with a very modern shower, sink and toilet in January 2011. Finally, on the day his room was not finished by the time he had returned at 4.00 I take full responsibilty for. Unfortunately, and for the first time in 4 years, we had a member of staff who was taken ill therefore we did get behind on refreshing his room and for that I send my apologies.