“Could do with a refit: Don't book purely based on the pool fotos.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of TLH Leisure Resort

TLH Leisure Resort
Ranked #41 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Could do with a refit: Don't book purely based on the pool fotos.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed 2 nights in March 2012. Paid a supplement for a larger room, but this overlooked a busy road and after 30 minutes asked to be moved. We were on the third floor, some distance from the hotel amenities, such as swimming pool, lounge, bar, etc. Upside to this was that it was quiet. However, there were so many squeaky floorboards on the landings and in corridors! On a positive note, the indoor pool is excellent, breakfast was of a good quality with plenty of choices. The evening meals were perfectly acceptable. The restaurant and staff were very hard working and attentive, but one of the reception staff were rather brusque. It's a haven for bowls players, and for the elderly and infirm. On the downside, not enough parking spaces, dated decor, scruffy furnishings, and a funny, musty odour, similar to a retirement home. I was fooled into booking based on the foto of the pool, which is stunning. The problem is, you naturally assume that the rest of the hotel is of a similar standard and it falls far short. It looks tired, almost threadbare in places. Evening entertainment was "unsophisticated". Appeared to be daytime staff putting on an evening show. It personally made my toes curl, but each to his own. We are not sophisticated by any means, but we felt like we were mixing with the "hoi polloi". A five minute amble down the hill (not steep) will take you to the sea front, and if you look left you'll see the main "promenade" about 15 minutes walk. Buses are plentiful, and a day rider ticket (about £4.60) will take you to Paignton and Brixham, which are well worth a visit. I've tried to be honest about the individual ratings, but somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Would I go back to the hotel? Hell no.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the busy road.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony R
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is always nice to read positive comments regarding the service our staff provide and of our food offering at the Derwent.
Our complex covers 7.5acres and is open to most types of guests, so I would not wish any one reading your review to be confused by what we offer.
We have 3 hotels that are 3* AA rated and 1 that is 2* AA rated on our complex. All hotels share our 5* central leisure facilities.
You choose the Derwent hotel, which is the largest and busiest of our hotels, offers excellent value, which is reflected on how extremely popular this hotel is all year round. If you are looking for a quieter more reserved experience then one of the 3* hotels would have adequately provided this.
We hope that our detailed web site gives the opportunity for potential new guests to make the correct decision as to what hotel on our complex would suit them best.
It is true outside of weekends and school holidays many retired people choose us as their preferred location in Torquay.
It is extremely rare for our dedicated entertainment team to receive anything but praise and I was surprised with you feedback regarding this, I would be very interested as to where you see live entertainment that is better than the free entertainment that we provide.
We offer 365 nights and days of entertainment that also includes external cabaret acts ranging from vocalists to magicians and everything in between. I would assure anyone reading your review that although our entertainments team may well offer you help during the day, if you look like you need directions, or indeed want help carrying a case, you will not find them fulfilling any other role other than looking after and entertaining our guests. Kindest regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
West Lothian, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We recently visited the Victoria Hotel Torquay which is part of the much bigger TLH resort. We were attending a ballroom and Latin Dancing weekend of which the resort offers many during the year. We were very impressed by the courtesy and efficiency that we were met with on our arrival. The room was an adequate size with a clean modernised ensuite shower and toilet.

The meals were served efficiently and the waiters were polite.

The only downside is that car parking can be difficult. we had to park in one of the resort's other car parks requiring a fairish walk.

Some of the Hotel's public areas look a littles dated but these are only small observations. We have booked to go on the same weekend next year.

As well as dancing the resort offers other activities including bowls and a fitness centre.

Generally, I think the resort offers good value for money

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near Lift entrances. Ours was next to the lift and some lift noise could be heard.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Thank you for kind words regarding our customer service. We do have several free car parks on our site. On the rare occasions that these are full to capacity we do have alternative arrangements, which we pay for. We are aware that at busy times it can be an inconvenience to park in one of the car parks that are not directly situated outside the hotel you may be staying at. We have created drop of points at each hotel to allow guests to check in and leave luggage before parking the car to assist. Kindest regards
Sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed at the end of March at TLH in the Carlton Hotel and in one of their apartments on the ground floor. I did used to live in Torquay and actually at one time, worked at the Carlton Hotel, so for me, it was a shock to see the way it looked now to what it was at one time. Firstly, the car park does not have enough spaces and if full, you need to be aware that you have park down at the English Riviera Centre. It can be a steep walk back up Falkland Road to the Carlton, however, you can walk back up to the Carlton through the TLH Complex, however be aware, that is still a trek but nice to walk through. I was told you get your money back if you keep your receipt, and although I did get one day back, when another receptionist was on, I didn't get.
The apartment was spacious and adequate, but paint was peeling off the radiators, couple of the doors in the rooms were not fully finished with paint, the paint on the walls in the lounge area was marked and it looked jaded. In fact, that is the word I would unfortunately use for the decor also in the dining room, as it was jaded and tired looking with wall paper hanging off the walls and the overall feel of the room. We were bed and breakfast, and on day one, allocated a table but was told it was for that morning only as the following day was required for a Mr Jepson who was a regular, but we were told what table to sit on the next day. The next morning went for breakfast, but the table had been used and not cleared, so we were asked to wait outside the dining room whilst they cleared and tidied that table up, despite the fact there were other ones free. The morning after, went in for breakfast to find people sat at our table and the poor guy looking after the dining room really didn't know what to say to us! There is a great choice for breakfast from fresh fruit, to cereals to a full cooked breakfast and it is buffet style. Toast is brought to you as is the coffee or tea, but this doesn't come round enough and you have to try and stop someone to be able to obtain a refill. Whilst I appreciate that working in a dining room can be hard, the staff didn't seem to communicate between them and it seemed that one would ask if we wanted tea, coffee or toast, then another would come up and ask the same.

Going back to the room, it overlooked the entrance to the Aztec Spa/Bistro and was noisy with the swing door, slamming late into the night when people left and starting early in the morning. If there was at least one thing I would change it would be those doors as they were a pain in the preverbial!

The sofa bed was quite comfy, however on the day of arrival the bedding had not been changed on it and it was dirty, so had to ask for it to be changed. I did feel as though the receptionist looked at me as though I was demanding something quite unreasonable, however after about an hour, it still had not been changed, I had to go and ask again to be told that the were waiting for us to go out, so I asked if they could change it whilst we were there as we would not be going out that evening or if we did, it would not be until quite late. Not sure if that was an unreasonable request of ours or not, however the receptionist made it evident by her actions that she was far from happy.

There was also a little notice board in the apartment that showed the events and what was on, however the one in our apartment had not been changed and still advertised events from February, but it was the end of March when we stayed! So again, not great and made me wonder when had the apartment last been spot checked by the supervisor.

The evening entertainment was okay and there did always seem to be something going on for everyone within the complex - The staff at the Aztec Bistro were great, always smiling, really helpful and the spa and pool was lovely and for me, the highlight. Would it be a place I would recommend to others, probably not unless I knew it was going to be less disorganised and that the place was refurbished to bring it up to date. In terms of value for money, well it cost £400 for 4 nights B&B for 2 adults and was not the value I thought it was going to be as came away very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't book an apartment on the ground floor near the entrance to the Aztec Spa and Bistro
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mish6767
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Leisure Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay. Firstly I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but appreciate your detailed feedback. I assure you we take on board everyone’s opinions and views to continually develop the product we offer our guests.

When the resort is at capacity, on site parking can be an issue, which is why we always provide alternatives and ensure everyone can park their car nearby. We do reimburse parking charges and I am sorry this was not done on one day. If you send me the receipt I will gladly refund this.

I am pleased to say our apartments have had a lot of upgrading work recently with new kitchen’s, bathrooms, décor and furniture in lounges and dining areas. As I am sure you can appreciate we cannot carry out all the work at the same time and also we need to schedule this during quiet periods. The bedroom decor is scheduled to be updated this year. I will show your photos to my Property Manager and ask him to follow these issues up. I apologise for the way in which reception dealt with your problems and I will follow these up with the Reception Manager.

As a former employee I am sure you will be aware of the Murrell family who own and run TLH Leisure Resort and that they have run the hotels for over 50 years. We place great importance in developing the staff and have built the business on looking after our guests, which is why the majority of our business is repeat business.

We aim to provide value for money and price the hotels based on not only on accommodation and inclusive meals, but the access to extensive leisure facilities including Pool, spa, bowling and games arena plus day and night entertainment which is all included as part of the basic room rate. I am sorry you did not feel we were competitive and value for money.

If there is anything you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the Carlton Hotel.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

great place lovely staff what more could you wish for been there many times 10/10 .great pool evening was great can't fault it all the staff were great and very helpfull .will go twice this year perhaps three times .

Room Tip: rooms are quieter on the south side
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jellybelly1955
Thank you for your very nice review. Kindest regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

My family and I love coming to TLH and this was our 4th visit. We stayed in the Carlton Hotel which was as usual, very nice. The facilities at TLH are brilliant. A lot of the complex is based around an Aztec theme, which includes the amazing pools, which I had fun in every time and the lovely aztec bistro, which served delicious food and drinks. The arena games complex was brill. The arcade games were quite cheap to play on and the 10 pin bowling was a good price. The entertainment was good. We really enjoyed doing the quiz and bingo. The evening entertainment was ok, but I think it needs to vary a bit, because they had the same entertainer 3 times during our stay. I had a great holiday again here and will definitely be coming back. To improve though, I think a water slide in the pool may be nice, a bigger variety of entertainment, some new games in Arena Games and better security at entrances to things because it's very easy to get in to things like the pool without being a member or a resident.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank cool_as_a_cucumber8
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We will hopefully be announcing some really exciting news regarding the development of the Arena Games within the next 12 months. Kindest regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

First came here in 1983 as a child and been coming back time and time again with my own children. Ive seen the facilities grow and grow over the years and my kids love the place and cant wait to come back. The staff are great and very friendly and i cant fault the food at all. The facilities are being improved and updated all the time. (remember the hotels are open all year, give them a chance to improve and update as i guess its pretty hard to do the work whilst still remaining open and not causing sum inconveniance).I cant believe sum of the reviews that people put on this site. What do u people want? End of the day its very family orientated here and if its something more upmarket that u want then my message to you is stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for posting your review. We value all feedback. We are currently redeveloping our central outside areas to include a new children’s play area with landscaped gardens for relaxing and improved access between our hotels. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Kindest regards
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Enjoyed a 3 night short break, lovely big family room. Very clean. Great facilities including pool and spa.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Kindest regards